PDA

View Full Version : Collector thread! Show off your collection here!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-15-08, 04:10 PM
Attached you'll find a photo of a set of Dress Blues that I have in my collection. They belonged to SgtMajor Charlie H Lynch. He enlisted on 14 September 1927 and was a Sergeant in 1940. He was a bandsman who served in Nicarauga, San Diego, Parris Island, Hawaii, and the Canal Zone, among other places pre-WWII. During the war his ribbons indicate he served in all three theatres, Asiatic Pacific, European, and American. He spent time in China after WWII.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2008/post-271-1202230045.jpg

The Blues blouse is marked and dated as follows:

Supply Depot
U. S. Marine Corps
1947-1948
4M

Here's a closeup of the ribbons. Yes, I know they are out of precedence...
But that's the way he wore them, so that's the way they stay. Marines during this period weren't that concerned about ribbon precendence.

Extra points if anyone can tell me the ribbons shown without using a lookup or a book LOL. (Yes, I already know what they are). The Rifle Expert badge is marked "NS Myer" and is a pin back. The ribbons are of Post WWII manufacture and are on "3 ribbon" place bars.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2008/post-271-1202310451.jpg

SGT7477
02-15-08, 04:17 PM
That is a master sgt. rank or was that considered a SgtMajor?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-15-08, 04:22 PM
Sergeant Major. There was no star in the center until the late 1950's.

SGT7477
02-15-08, 04:24 PM
Sergeant Major. There was no star in the center until the late 1950's.
It only has 3 rockers and it should have 4 rockers.:flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
02-15-08, 04:29 PM
Sergeant Majors were authorized a distinctive belt buckle to denote their position sometime in mid 1943 or early 1944. This buckle was the old army pattern officer buckle as used during the Civil War. Not sure when it was no longer authorized for wear, likely the Korean era since SgtMaj Lynch probably retired with "20" prior to Korea. These buckles are rather uncommon these days. This one is unmarked as is the belt.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2008/post-271-1202230538.jpg

The dress blue cover...that is a dress BLUE cover! These were used from before WWII, during WWII (when the barracks cover was issued) and until just before Korea. The Blue cover is actually more commonly seen during this time period than the white cover is for some reason. I have the white cover as well. The brim is a nice thick leather and would have had to have been 'spit shined'.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2008/post-271-1202230506.jpg

Ed Palmer
02-15-08, 04:37 PM
Not right

Sgt Leprechaun
02-15-08, 04:38 PM
It only has 3 rockers and it should have 4 rockers.:flag:

Enlisted rank insignia 1944-1946
http://mujweb.atlas.cz/kultura/usmc/imaservice/rank06b.gif

Courtesy of Jaroslav Jochman.

Rank description - "Private" has no rank insignia
1. Private First Class
2. Corporal
3. Sergeant
4. Staff Sergeant
5. Platoon Sergeant
6. Technical Sergeant
7. Gunnery Sergeant
8. Master Gunnery Sergeant or
Master Technical Sergeant
Quartermaster Sergeant
Paymaster Sergeant
9. Sergeant Major or
First Sergeant ** Notice ** : in 1944 change of 1937 chevron design

SGT7477
02-15-08, 05:36 PM
I like our rank structure we have today, SemperFI.

outlaw3179
02-15-08, 06:41 PM
Thanks for sharing Lep..thats some pretty cool history.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-16-08, 08:18 AM
I"ll try and post more of what I have this weekend.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-08, 11:46 AM
Show off your USMC Uniform, medals, patches, or other USMC uniform related items in this thread!

SgtHopperUSMC
03-09-08, 04:11 PM
I found this in an attic. "Benrus"

SgtHopperUSMC
03-09-08, 04:14 PM
Did the Marine Corps use these. It was found along with a lot of Marine Corps items.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-18-08, 10:43 PM
Old EGA found in attic

SgtHopperUSMC
03-18-08, 10:46 PM
Some more small stuff

SgtHopperUSMC
03-18-08, 10:52 PM
English, Danish, German, and Norway Engineers.

Iraqi beret found in minefield 1991 Desert Storm

SgtHopperUSMC
03-18-08, 10:58 PM
Some final shots of the helment.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-21-08, 07:19 AM
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner Hopper...life intrudes as usual LOL.

Ok, as far as the Benrus Watch goes, it looks to be circa WWII, but I'm NOT a watch expert in any way shape or form. That one is outta my area of expertise for sure.

The whistle looks to be a navy Bos'un whistle. While it certainly could have been used by shipboard Marines, the greater likelyhood, in my opinion, is that it would be a sailors. That having been said, your Marine who may or may not have owned this could have been a seagoing Marine and used it.

Your first EGA, clutchback, is post-WWII, likely Korean era or early Vietnam period.

The second is for the Blues blouse, same era.

The round eagle cap insignia is Air Force enlisted, for the blue service dress cap.

The two small brass PFC chevrons are more of a mystery. Based on the photo, they do NOT appear to be military. The clutchbacks are post WWII made. The reason they don't appear to be military is that they are 'fatter' than the normal wear. They aren't Marine Corps, as the Corps didn't wear brass colored chevrons until well into the 1990's, and then only on the Blues sweater. They aren't army, as they are too 'fat'.

My guess on those is Police. (I have a nearly identical set that I used).

Very cool berets! I esp. like the Iraqi 'minefield' beret. I'd highly suggest you write down all you know about how it was obtained, and who obtained it (even if yourself). It will increase it's value.

Thanks for the further pics of the helmet. It appears to be a swivel bale late WWII or early Korean era helmet. On the inside of the liner, at the 'crown' of where the head rests, there should be a maker mark that may enable me to give you an exact date of when it was made. The hook and eye clasp design on the helmet dates it to no later than the early 1950's. The 'bale' that the chinstrap is attached to makes it a 'swivel' bale style of helmet, meaning it was made no earlier than about 1944.

Hope that helps!

gus
03-21-08, 07:51 AM
Well that s pretty nothing comparing to all your other great stuffs but here is mine.
That s a ww2 canteen pouch. But it seems the EGA is a after 60s one. The ww2's EGA "carry" 2 things to say semper fidelis and this one has only one.
The things print in front of it is the tactical sign of the 5th Marine division and it s 23rd infantry regiment of 5th division.
As you can see there are always two names print on it, It seems there are both the same.
I m searching the Marine or his family to give him back, I don t really know how it arrive her in Belgium and I don t really know since how long it s down here. My dad buy it a times ago and give me it.
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4126/gourdeusmctw4.th.png (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gourdeusmctw4.png) 300 serials are the tactical sign of 23rd infantry regiment.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7770/gourdeusmc2gb8.th.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gourdeusmc2gb8.jpg) it s date 1942.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6152/gourde3es5.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gourde3es5.jpg) the name is J (or T) F. ARNOLD
I sent a letter to 5th Marine association and I m still waiting answer, Fistfu68 also give me their number but I m ashame to say that I didn t take time to call them yet.
Anyway if any of you have information about the history of this canteen or the owner or his family, I would be really gratefull if you could ask them if they want to talk with me about it.
Thank you.

jerryd6818
03-21-08, 03:27 PM
Some more small stuff

I wore PFC stripes like that. I don't remember where I got them. When I was wearing them, I said they were issued but I really don't think they were. I wore them during almost all my 31 months as a PFC. I don't recall what I did with them when I finally made L/Cpl (same formation that I got my GCR). I wish I still had them.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-21-08, 03:37 PM
I have to ask, when you wore em....and were they gold (they look gold on my monitor, but they may not be).

If they were black, I can see how you'd get away with it. And, it might be the angle these are laying at that makes me think they are something else.

Finger
03-21-08, 04:01 PM
Sgt Lep, When I get back to J'ville I will send the thread some good pics and of weapons too. I am in the middle of retireing for good and moving from Texas back to NC. Leaving here the 29th by F250 power.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-21-08, 04:13 PM
Sweeet! And Fair winds and following seas to your retirement!

I'd really like to see what you've got. Thanks!

jerryd6818
03-21-08, 10:01 PM
I have to ask, when you wore em....and were they gold (they look gold on my monitor, but they may not be).

If they were black, I can see how you'd get away with it. And, it might be the angle these are laying at that makes me think they are something else.

I made PFC in Dec. '62 while in school at Port Hueneme. I'm pretty sure I was wearing the chevrons when I reported into 29 Palms in March of '63. They were never gold, always black and of course kept that way with M-Nu. I recall being under the impression they were genuine USMC and from the '50s. Could be full of beans on that but that's what I remember. They were the only ones I wore over the next two plus years, at several duty stations. Stood inspections while wearing them and I never was called on them. Made L/Cpl at Cherry Point in July '65. I sure wish I could remember where they came from and went to. The memories fade faster all the time. Things I thought I'd never forget are now gone.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-22-08, 07:44 AM
Jerry:

That makes sense. Metal chevrons during the Korean era were many times 'home made' or 'field made'. They came in all different shapes and sizes, and from what I've seen and heard, since there was no 'standard' and they were used in the field, as long as they resembled the rank they were supposed to, it wasn't much of an issue.

So, you are dead on correct in your memory. But, you are also right..the things I never thought I'd forget.....

Hope that was helpful in answering your question.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-22-08, 08:23 AM
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner Hopper...life intrudes as usual LOL.

Ok, as far as the Benrus Watch goes, it looks to be circa WWII, but I'm NOT a watch expert in any way shape or form. That one is outta my area of expertise for sure.

The whistle looks to be a navy Bos'un whistle. While it certainly could have been used by shipboard Marines, the greater likelyhood, in my opinion, is that it would be a sailors. That having been said, your Marine who may or may not have owned this could have been a seagoing Marine and used it.

Your first EGA, clutchback, is post-WWII, likely Korean era or early Vietnam period.

The second is for the Blues blouse, same era.

The round eagle cap insignia is Air Force enlisted, for the blue service dress cap.

The two small brass PFC chevrons are more of a mystery. Based on the photo, they do NOT appear to be military. The clutchbacks are post WWII made. The reason they don't appear to be military is that they are 'fatter' than the normal wear. They aren't Marine Corps, as the Corps didn't wear brass colored chevrons until well into the 1990's, and then only on the Blues sweater. They aren't army, as they are too 'fat'.

My guess on those is Police. (I have a nearly identical set that I used).

Very cool berets! I esp. like the Iraqi 'minefield' beret. I'd highly suggest you write down all you know about how it was obtained, and who obtained it (even if yourself). It will increase it's value.

Thanks for the further pics of the helmet. It appears to be a swivel bale late WWII or early Korean era helmet. On the inside of the liner, at the 'crown' of where the head rests, there should be a maker mark that may enable me to give you an exact date of when it was made. The hook and eye clasp design on the helmet dates it to no later than the early 1950's. The 'bale' that the chinstrap is attached to makes it a 'swivel' bale style of helmet, meaning it was made no earlier than about 1944.

Hope that helps!The brass whistle makes sound like the ones the British police use.

Old Marine
03-22-08, 08:32 AM
We used to have a stensil kit that we stenciled with black ink chevrons on the sleeves of our utilities. The metal chevrons in the picture were standard Marine Corps issue and were worn on the utility collar as they are today. When the rank structure was changed and they brought in L/Cpl, 1stSgt, MGySgt and SgtMaj we wore, If you were a Sgt E-5, the SSgt Metal Chevron, until they made the new ones. We were called Acting Sgts. Needless to say there were a lot of actors running around. Because of this fiasco, I was a Sgt for 10 years, before making Staff Sgt.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-22-08, 08:36 AM
LOL..thanks for that, Gunny! Yes, I've heard those stories before, that switchover caused a whole lot of hate and discontent.

The stencil kits are difficult to find today in good condition, all the services had kits that were 'branch' specific. I recently lost out on a USAF stencil kit on Ebay that went for an incredible 75 bucks!

I have also seen where Marines who got promoted simply 're-stenciled' the new rank over the old. Sometimes it looks good....other times...LOL.

Thanks again for the information. Always good to hear how it was DONE by the Marines themselves instead of speculation and "But the regulations said...." type of thing.

silverdollar
03-27-08, 10:13 AM
After reading this thread I went out to the shed and looked through my old footlocker, from 1954, guess what, yep found my stencil kit, ribbons and the first metal chevrons I bought. I also found my green battle jacket and barracks hat with green cover, plus my green raincoat.

Old Marine
03-27-08, 12:10 PM
Did you raincoat have the liner in it? Those raincoats were more like blotters than raincoats. A poncho did a better job of sheding the rain. Do you also have the old horseblanket overcoat?(issued only to personnel in cold climates)

Sgt Leprechaun
03-27-08, 12:50 PM
After reading this thread I went out to the shed and looked through my old footlocker, from 1954, guess what, yep found my stencil kit, ribbons and the first metal chevrons I bought. I also found my green battle jacket and barracks hat with green cover, plus my green raincoat.

OUTstanding! Post pics if you are able to, so the other Marines, who've likely never seen a stencil kit, can get a look.

Heck, post everything. I don't mind LOL.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-27-08, 12:52 PM
Oh, and Gunny, I still have my horseblanket, but it was issued in 1982. The Corps went to the "combination" rain/overcoat in 1986. They started getting issued in 1984 or 85, I think. Wear out date for the Horseblanket and 'green raincoat' was mid 1986 if I recall correctly. (Because I had to get one for my Jan 87 WestPac, and get rid of my 'blanket).

Artemis
03-27-08, 01:39 PM
I love that you started this thread. It makes me want to start a new collection insted of just stamps.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-27-08, 01:55 PM
Fair warning....it's an EXPENSIVE hobby. But one heck of a lot of fun.

yanacek
03-27-08, 02:42 PM
Sgt Lep,

I too wore the horseblanket until the day before it was no longer authorized. It was a great piece of gear, especially since I was stationed in Cleveland. We used to call that hideous-gray coat "The London Fog" coat.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-27-08, 02:54 PM
Yep. I was ORDERED to purchase one, had to have one for the J.O.B. prior to going on deployment. What a shapeless, non military looking POS that thing is/was.

Quinbo
03-27-08, 03:17 PM
I checked into the fleet in 85 with a spy coat and a wooley pulley. Shortly after my arrival the old salts were ordered to purchase both. There were a whole lot of unhappy campers. I kind of envied those that had the horse blanket coat. As we learned the hard way you can not hang a wooley pulley in your locker. The darn thing became 6 foot long and so everyone had to go buy another and display it neatly folded instead of on a hanger.

TrevelyanInc
03-27-08, 03:50 PM
My roommate made the same mistake with his green furry monster. Now we have to buy him another one, as the wooly pully he had before is a tent.

yanacek
03-27-08, 06:09 PM
The Woolly Pully I liked personally. But that damn London-Fog thing really was a piece of junk.

Just before I retired they came out with the blue Woolly Pully for use with modified blues. That thing I refused to buy or wear. The blue was too light--just light enough to look like crap with the blue trousers. To top it all off, I seem to recall that you had to wear your insignia of rank on eppalettes. It reminded me too much of the Army.

Old Marine
03-27-08, 09:09 PM
Wolly Pully was after my time.

iamcloudlander
03-27-08, 10:07 PM
I was reading about the chevrons stencil kits etc and I went into my archives where I have the kit issued to me in boot camp July 1965. I also have all my uniforms the greens,tropicals,and khakis. The greens had brown buttons which we had to dye black as well as the barracks cover brim and our shoes. I was also issued a set of black metal pfc chevrons which were worn on the utilities collar. I have all of them pfc,lcpl,cpl,sgt,ssgt on card I was given in boot camp for my first "job". I also have a set of blues circa 1964 (and they do look different from the blues of today) including the white gloves with the little metal snap at the wrist. I will admit that the white gear has tended to become a bit yellowish in the 40+ years I have had it.
I have a question I need an answer for, How many years do the stripes on the sleeves represent?, I think it is three per stripe????

iamcloudlander
03-27-08, 10:13 PM
Forgot in my last post, I have the original raincoat but over the years the coating has become disentigrated and is flaking off. The overcoat (the horse blanket) is in great shape and I wear it occasionally with the original black leather gloves issued to me in boot camp (found these in the pockets of the coat after many years in a closet). Oh yes the buttons on the strap across the back of the overcoat are the original brown seems I forgot to dye them black in boot camp how did the DI miss this LOL.

bucksgted
03-27-08, 10:38 PM
I was reading about the chevrons stencil kits etc and I went into my archives where I have the kit issued to me in boot camp July 1965. I also have all my uniforms the greens,tropicals,and khakis. The greens had brown buttons which we had to dye black as well as the barracks cover brim and our shoes. I was also issued a set of black metal pfc chevrons which were worn on the utilities collar. I have all of them pfc,lcpl,cpl,sgt,ssgt on card I was given in boot camp for my first "job". I also have a set of blues circa 1964 (and they do look different from the blues of today) including the white gloves with the little metal snap at the wrist. I will admit that the white gear has tended to become a bit yellowish in the 40+ years I have had it.
I have a question I need an answer for, How many years do the stripes on the sleeves represent?, I think it is three per stripe????
Four years/stripe

mgkusmc
03-27-08, 11:12 PM
I've got a box that has every single letter ever sent to me in boot camp, and every single letter I sent home in boot (besides the ones sent to an unfaithful fiancee) so I have that collection to one day open up my old footlocker and reminisce about.

I've actually been thinking about getting several large steamer trunks and putting all the familys military things in there, a steamer trunk for all of my marine stuff, all of my dads army stuff from his career in the army, my grandfathers navy stuff, the list goes on back to the civil war.

ssgtedusmc
03-27-08, 11:46 PM
The clutchpost EGA pictured in the post dated 3-18 was used from about 1949/50 to 1955 when the anchor on the collar sized EGA's got the rope fouling it.

The wide metal chevrons were used from about 1955 to 1959. The enlisted rank structure was reorganized and approved in October 1958 and that's when the chevrons got the crossed rifles and the new pay grade of E-9. The corresponding metal chevrons were reduced in width at that time.

SGT7477
03-28-08, 07:27 AM
I've got a box that has every single letter ever sent to me in boot camp, and every single letter I sent home in boot (besides the ones sent to an unfaithful fiancee) so I have that collection to one day open up my old footlocker and reminisce about.

I've actually been thinking about getting several large steamer trunks and putting all the familys military things in there, a steamer trunk for all of my marine stuff, all of my dads army stuff from his career in the army, my grandfathers navy stuff, the list goes on back to the civil war.
The unfaithful fiancee, trash the ***** brings back memories.:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
03-31-08, 05:40 AM
LOL. Oh yeah.

Good posts!

Quinbo
03-31-08, 06:36 AM
The Woolly Pully I liked personally. But that damn London-Fog thing really was a piece of junk.

Just before I retired they came out with the blue Woolly Pully for use with modified blues. That thing I refused to buy or wear. The blue was too light--just light enough to look like crap with the blue trousers. To top it all off, I seem to recall that you had to wear your insignia of rank on eppalettes. It reminded me too much of the Army.

I had reason to fly a lot of MAC and was required to always fly in uniform. C-130's get freaking cold in flight so I always wore modified alphas, which was bravo shirt and wooley pulley. Chevrons went on the collar of the bravo shirt. No reason to mess with ribbons and badges when you wore that setup.

jerryd6818
04-01-08, 06:44 PM
I still have the green overcoat, issued in boot camp, 1962. It has PFC stripes on it, the skinny ones.

Does anyone know when the Tropical blouse became obsolete for enlisted? I seem to recall officers wearing it but forty some years does things to the memory.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

SgtThrasher
04-02-08, 12:22 PM
Our DI's @Parris Island were still wearing the old OD
herringbone utilities and we were issued the newer type
utilities with closed button down pockets.This was 1965,
I traded for two utilities jackets @ Camp Lejeune and wore
them my career(they were salty),I still have them and also
had the rough leather combat boots that required using a
small bottle to spit shine because the leather was so coarse
the convention method didn't get the job done.Does anyone
remember and wearing these?

I read the older herringbone version (1944) had copper
plated buttons and found a site that will remake them to
the old spec's but they are pricey.More brass to shine!!!

:evilgrin:

FistFu68
04-02-08, 12:55 PM
:evilgrin: GETTING RID OF THOSE TROP'S WAS BULLCHIT,MINE WERE STARCHED@ PEGGED SO SQUARED AWAY,WHILE ON MAIN GATE DUTY AT HENDERSON HALL;THAT A LEECH COULD SLIDE DOWN THE CREASE AND FALL OFF CUT IN HALF.A.J SQUARED AWAY!!!HAD GENERALS @ ADMIRALS LOOKING AT ME SAYING 'AYE-'AYE MARINE CARRY ON SON!!!:usmc: :iwo:

yanacek
04-02-08, 01:31 PM
Sergeant Thrasher,

The WW-II era buttons were made out of a brass metal, however the ones I have seen had a black enamel finish on them. If you were salty though, the black wore off revealing the brass underneath.

If you or anyone else would like a new set of herringbone utilities, they are available through WW-II Impressions (either the 1941 or 1944 pattern). They also carry boondockers and covers. I own a pair of boondockers and they are the best boot I have ever worn.

1941 PATTERN
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/usmc2.jpg
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/usmc4.jpg

1944 PATTERN
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/p44jacket.jpg

SgtThrasher
04-02-08, 04:18 PM
Yanacek ,Thanks much for the info,My herringbone utility
blouse was ~~Korea or thereafter ,it had one chest pocket
w/button,I didn't have a cover to match,but I managed to
find one that was too small and wasn't serviceable.
:evilgrin::iwo:

yanacek
04-02-08, 05:37 PM
Sgt Thrasher,

Glad to help. WW-II Impressions also carries the herringbone cover as well as the WW-II herringbone pi$$cutter.

Camper51
04-02-08, 06:26 PM
:evilgrin: GETTING RID OF THOSE TROP'S WAS BULLCHIT,MINE WERE STARCHED@ PEGGED SO SQUARED AWAY,WHILE ON MAIN GATE DUTY AT HENDERSON HALL;THAT A LEECH COULD SLIDE DOWN THE CREASE AND FALL OFF CUT IN HALF.A.J SQUARED AWAY!!!HAD GENERALS @ ADMIRALS LOOKING AT ME SAYING 'AYE-'AYE MARINE CARRY ON SON!!!:usmc: :iwo:

Pretty good since "trops" were made of tropical worsted wool and had to be dry cleaned. Maybe you were thinking the Khaki's. I was issued Khaki's in 1968 but could never wear them as they were being discontinued in 1969 or 1970. Just had to keep em for JOB inspections until they were finally discontinued...

Richman
04-03-08, 02:37 AM
The wide metal chevrons were used from about 1955 to 1959. The enlisted rank structure was reorganized and approved in October 1958 and that's when the chevrons got the crossed rifles and the new pay grade of E-9. The corresponding metal chevrons were reduced in width at that time.

True! I have lots of the old style from PFC up through Sgt. My dad was in the Corps during the change over. I have most of his old stuff that still exists. I remember going through his old footlocker when I was a kid and wearing his old shirts. Too bad those got thrown out a long time ago.

Richman
04-03-08, 02:41 AM
Anybody have any idea when the embroidered ribbons went out of style in the Corps? I have seen several old uniforms with them. My old reserve unit had a set displayed in the main breeze way.

I wear them now (after 14 years in the Corps I went into the Army Reserves, then Guard) on my dress greens. I think they look much better than the one you get at the PX/BX.

yanacek
04-03-08, 04:02 AM
Anybody have any idea when the embroidered ribbons went out of style in the Corps?
Embroidered ribbons? I don't think I've never seen anyone wearing them. Could you post a photo?

Richman
04-03-08, 04:39 AM
Let me see if I can get this picture thing figured out....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//post-88-1177822299.jpg

I pulled this off the web. I don't have pics of a set on a USMC uniform, however, there is a prime example of a set in a display case in the Navy & Marine Corps Reserve Center on Ft. Lewis. At least it was there about 5 years ago.

SgtHopperUSMC
04-03-08, 05:15 AM
[/size]
Four years/stripenever mind

yanacek
04-03-08, 06:05 AM
Richman,

I swear that I have never seen any ribbons like that before. I'll bet it was a real pain to replace them when the became soiled. Judging from the campaign ribbons, it looks like U.S. Army or USAAF of WW-II era.

yanacek
04-03-08, 06:11 AM
After a second look, these ribbons show World War II service but would represent service after 1953 (the year the NDSM was established).

Richman
04-03-08, 06:12 AM
Has to be Korea time frame because of the NDSM and the AFRM. Embroidered ribbons existed up through the early 80s with the Army and Air Force. USMC seemed to end the use in the early 70s as I haven't found examples of them since that era. Air Force and Army are still authorized to wear them. I have mine directly sewn on my greens. I also have a set of the clutch back type for my blues, so I can wear full size medals from time to time.

Richman
04-03-08, 06:16 AM
The AF Vice Chief of Staff has a set he wears. Here is his picture. I have a close up picture of his set (before it was delivered to him). The pic is too big to post here.

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=6426

Richman
04-03-08, 06:19 AM
Richman,

I swear that I have never seen any ribbons like that before. I'll bet it was a real pain to replace them when the became soiled.

Just the opposite. I have had a couple hundred people finger %$##$% the hell out of my set and they still look great. My BX bought version wouldn't last with the same treatment with all the normal oils found on skin and fingers.

Sewing them directly on the uniform is a pain, but they can be dry cleaned.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-04-08, 07:04 AM
The embroidered ribbons became popular during the Japanese occupation (and the German as well..but that's a different topic..) and then after the Korean war. They were 'private purchase' by the individual.

Remember this was in the days when you *might* have gotten 5 total ribbons throughout your career, perhaps more, but you weren't adding a ribbon a year like some do now.

I've never seen a USMC set of embroidered ribbons in wear on a USMC uniform. Plenty of army and navy, and a few AF, but never seen USMC. They look very impressive.

These ribbons were sometimes worn with p/b so they could be removed for cleaning, but most of the time they were stitched directly to the uniform and left there.

iamcloudlander
08-06-08, 02:26 AM
Sergeant Majors were authorized a distinctive belt buckle to denote their position sometime in mid 1943 or early 1944. This buckle was the old army pattern officer buckle as used during the Civil War. Not sure when it was no longer authorized for wear, likely the Korean era since SgtMaj Lynch probably retired with "20" prior to Korea. These buckles are rather uncommon these days. This one is unmarked as is the belt.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2008/post-271-1202230538.jpg

The dress blue cover...that is a dress BLUE cover! These were used from before WWII, during WWII (when the barracks cover was issued) and until just before Korea. The Blue cover is actually more commonly seen during this time period than the white cover is for some reason. I have the white cover as well. The brim is a nice thick leather and would have had to have been 'spit shined'.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2008/post-271-1202230506.jpg

I am happy to see the blue cover on this site as a while back I saw the movie on the history channel "Wake Island,
the Alamo of the Pacific" and some of the pictures of the Marines that defended it and were captured were wearing this cover in the pictures they showed during the movie. I have inquired to many Marines that were in WWII and none could remember a blue cover (actually I thought it was black) so again thank you for finally clearing this up for me.

Finger
08-06-08, 07:39 AM
My new "Man Cave" is still in progress. I will have some new pics soon with "duce gear" and such.

S/F
Finger

Finger
08-06-08, 02:05 PM
AS PROMISED

:flag:

Finger
08-06-08, 02:06 PM
A few more

S/F
Finger

jerryk
08-06-08, 04:52 PM
whats a gcr?

kenrobg30
12-27-09, 12:31 PM
Sgt Lep,

I too wore the horseblanket until the day before it was no longer authorized. It was a great piece of gear, especially since I was stationed in Cleveland. We used to call that hideous-gray coat "The London Fog" coat.

We were in style before it was stylish, Sgt, Go out, and price a London Fog coat these days. Semper FI!! :marine: Ken

Sgt Leprechaun
12-27-09, 05:52 PM
LOL. Yeah, believe me I know. Great pics finger!

kenrobg30
12-31-09, 11:52 AM
The unfaithful fiancee, trash the ***** brings back memories.:evilgrin:Got a 'DJ' from a girl I'd only known for a month. Went Korea, came home, looked her up, and married her. We've got six kids, twenty two grandkids, five G_G_grandkiids, with two more on the way. Scarey ain't
it?:scared: Sempre Fi! ken

SGT7477
12-31-09, 01:26 PM
Got a 'DJ' from a girl I'd only known for a month. Went Korea, came home, looked her up, and married her. We've got six kids, twenty two grandkids, five G_G_grandkiids, with two more on the way. Scarey ain't
it?:scared: Sempre Fi! kenWell Ken that was my first girlfriend when I first got into the Corps I dropped the cheating witch but my wife I have now I met her my last year and a half I had left in the Corps and this Jan the 22nd will be 32 years, got married on my birthday, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

MontezumaCpl
12-31-09, 02:30 PM
Outstanding Posts! Thanks for the interesting history and info!

Semper Fi!

kenrobg30
12-31-09, 04:46 PM
I am happy to see the blue cover on this site as a while back I saw the movie on the history channel "Wake Island,
the Alamo of the Pacific" and some of the pictures of the Marines that defended it and were captured were wearing this cover in the pictures they showed during the movie. I have inquired to many Marines that were in WWII and none could remember a blue cover (actually I thought it was black) so again thank you for finally clearing this up for me.

In 1949, the Dress Blue Uniform was not a TO&E Item, so if you wanted thye Blues, You had to buy them. If you bought them, you had better have them laid out, and ship-shape, or heaven help you. I was stationed in the Naval Gun FActory, where Harry Truman kept his Yaght. All Marines stationed in Washington, were required to wear Dress Blues, so ours were issued, the day we arrived there. We ere issued the blue cover, and the white, and wore the blue one, as it was part of the winter uniform. The blues were also required Liberty wear. I don't remember what the other services' rules were, but Marines were not allowed to wear 'Civvies' on Liberty, within the limits of the District of Columbia. It was 'Blues' or don't go. To make a long story longer, We wore the blue cover. I hope this helps. :usmc: S/F. Ken

kenrobg30
12-31-09, 05:11 PM

In 1949, the Dress Blue Uniform was not a TO&E Item, so if you wanted thye Blues, You had to buy them. If you bought them, you had better have them laid out, and ship-shape, or heaven help you. I was stationed in the Naval Gun FActory, where Harry Truman kept his Yaght. All Marines stationed in Washington, were required to wear Dress Blues, so ours were issued, the day we arrived there. We ere issued the blue cover, and the white, and wore the blue one, as it was part of the winter uniform. The blues were also required Liberty wear. I don't remember what the other services' rules were, but Marines were not allowed to wear 'Civvies' on Liberty, within the limits of the District of Columbia. It was 'Blues' or don't go. To make a long story longer, We wore the blue cover. I hope this helps. :usmc: S/F. Ken

kenrobg30
12-31-09, 05:32 PM
Well Ken that was my first girlfriend when I first got into the Corps I dropped the cheating witch but my wife I have now I met her my last year and a half I had left in the Corps and this Jan the 22nd will be 32 years, got married on my birthday, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Happy anniversary early Brother! Isn't it nice when you finally find the right ONE ? I wish all of our brothers could be as lucky as we were. Give her a Kiss for me, at the hour. :beer: S/F ! Ken

SlingerDun
12-31-09, 06:08 PM
down to about ohhh 3.5 cords, need to get after it

Sgt Leprechaun
12-31-09, 06:33 PM
Ken, your story makes sense. That SgtMaj uniform I showed has the blue cover, and he was a Marine Bandsman for his entire career, more than likely ending it in the DC area around that time period (late 40's) as a reservist, having enlisted right after 'The Great War' and served in Nicauragua, China, and in all 3 WWII theatres.

'Dun...holy crap that looks like my Dad's pile o wood LOL.