PDA

View Full Version : Two MOS options, I can't decide.

Jbthomp
02-15-08, 02:02 PM
I was at MEPS on the first of the month. I had my physical with not problems, and I took the ASVAB and got a 96. I signed my DEP contract as well, with my ship date set for May 12th.

At the Poolie function on the 9th of this month, my recruiter sat down with me to talk about the MOS I want. We went over the MOSs that have openings at the time of my ship date, all that good stuff. We narrowed it down to three that I was interested in: Infantry, Signals Intelligence/Ground Electronic Warfare, and Visual Information. 0300, 2600, and 4600, respectively. I left with instructions to call my recruiter as soon as I made a decision.

I've been trying to decide for a week, and the only thing I've been able to do is eliminate Visual Information as a choice. That happened fairly quickly. The thing now is that I CANNOT DECIDE between Infantry and SI/GEW. So now I turn to this forum for any input at all. If there are any other poolies looking at these fields, or if there are any Marines currently working in these fields, anything you have to say is greatly appreciated.

crazymjb
02-15-08, 02:45 PM
If you do infantry, at least you can say you did infantry (shrugs). While all jobs in the Marine Corps are important, I have gathered that everything revolves around the support of infantry. While in all the jobs you will be a Marine, infantry sort of seems like the "essence" of the Marine Corps.

More important though, is to think about what you want to be doing. This is the next four years of your life (at least 2, as I heard one can lat move after two years in some cases). Do you want to be working with data and intercepting and interpreting communications from the enemy? Or, do you want to be in the field running around killing the enemy. Either job is crucial, but they are very different lifestyles. Not to say they won't intermingle, but I have a feeling grunts see a lot more combat than intel guys.

Good luck in your decision.

Oh, and if it helps, don't believe any steriotypes on the ASVAB. I pulled off a 99 and going Infantry (reserves currently, but either way would be going infantry), and the majority of the guys doing a combat option at my RSS have high ASVAB scores, so don't let your score get to your head (not saying it is, but just putting that out there).

Mike

Jbthomp
02-15-08, 02:53 PM
I've heard that Infantry actually has a high average ASVAB score. My recruiter told me that the average score on the ASVAB is something like a 50, where the average infantryman's ASVAB is considerably higher than that.

I know that my two options have very little in common. That's why the decision's that much harder. On one hand, I have an option that pays a little better, isn't as dangerous as Infantry, and has alot of potential for life after the Corps. On the other hand is the Infantry; something I think I'll enjoy, something that's rewarding, but frankly, something that could get me killed.
Just when I think I've decided, all the positives of the other choice won't get out of my head.

I do appreciate the input though, don't take what I've just said as "Psh, I knew that already." I honetly appreciate anything and everything anyone says.

Bullpup
02-15-08, 03:45 PM
I was in a similar situation before I went to MEPS. I was deciding between Infantry and Intel. I made up my mind and decided I wanted Infantry. My reasons were the following:

1. Never again in my entire life will I have the chance to be a fighting man but I can be an Intel man later in my career (out of the Corps).

2. Being Infantry may help add to my credentials when I want to become an officer and LEAD Marines ( better know how to follow before you try and lead).

3. I did pretty well on the ASVAB (95) and I have a decent PFT (275) so I was able to get a shot at the recon Indoc. If I fail and want to try again later, it would be better to come from an Infantry unit.

4. Lastly, Infantry (in my humble and inexperienced opinion) embodies all of the values that attracted me to the Corps, just slightly more than any other MOS. That is to say that I think the Brotherhood is strongest among the fighting men. Though it is of course strong throughout the entire Corps.

Also, remember that it is much easier to transfer into Infantry than out of Infantry.

Good luck, hope this helps.
-David

Hoplite
02-15-08, 07:05 PM
I found this post about the infantry on another forum. The poster explains a day in the life of a Grunt. Hope it helps!

"So you kiddies wanna be Marine Infantry. Some have said Marine Infantry are the finest in the world. Hell I was even told that by a S/F Colonel who was a crusty bastage.

So do you have what it takes?

Any idiot can elist for infantry but not everyone can be one. So listen up. And those women who want to be infantry you listen as well because this is a small sample of what we do.

My only disclaimer is this is from the late 80s and mid 90s. So some gear may have changed but an infantrymans lot has never changed.

In Garrison:

0530 wake up call in the Barracks or Squadbay

0530-0600 Morning Clean Up of your room and the barracks. Tighen your racks, sweep and mop the floor of the room and the entire barracks.

0545-0600 Fall Out for PT

PT can be Company, Platoon or Squad. Mostly it is Company.

They start with the side straddle hop or jumping jacks to you civilians. Then you do any number of other exercises. Most units do 15 repetitions. You will do AT LEAST 15 and it can go up to 50 repetitions.

Then the formation run begins. It is at least 3 miles. Depending on who is leading it and their style it could be fast, it could be moderate but it is NEVER slow.

It can be over any manner of terrain, you can run on the street, the beach and always up a hill if one is around.

The hill will normaly be the peak of PT and then it is a jaunt back to the company area. Although evil Commanders have been known to double the run up the hill once, twice and even thrice.

Back at the company area expect some cool down stretches, maybe push ups and then get the word from the CO about the run,

"It was a good run...." is a good thing but it also means the CO is going to push it harder and faster next time.

"It was a bad run...people had trouble...ya need ta reach down." life will soon suck for you as the runs will become longer and harder. Those who fell back will be on remedial PT running at night and on weekends and maybe at lunch in addition to regular PT until the 1st Sgt says otherwise. Life really sucks for you!

0730-0900 PT ENDS <YES long that go they>

After the dismissal of PT formation you are on cool down time. Shower, clean up, reclean the barracks from the mess you made from showeing and tracking in grass and mudd from PT. Get dressed in your uniform.

1000 Classes or MCI time or just waiting around for the word of what is going to happen.

A few may be put on a working party for Regiment, Battallion or the Company Office where you may be a runner, phone watch, racking dirt, cleaning HQ or even supply helping move or sort or clean.

Classes will be normaly given within the platoon by the squad and fire team leaders. They can be on weapons, ambushes, patrols, navigation, call for fire.

1100/1130 Chow formation
The company forms up to get the word. They are then breifed on what is going on, what will be happened and what to do after chow as well as a status report of what has been accomplished. Then dismissed for chow.

Durring chow you hit the mess hall, the snack shake, the roach coach and a few even sleep or hit the PX or run personal errands that need to be done durring the day.

1300 Noon Formation

Administrative formation to make sure everyone is back from where they have disapeared to durring chow. Any new word is passed.

Weapons are drawn and then they are cleanned.
There may be a few more classes or gun drills/formation immediate action drills

1530 Weapons are turned in and you wait for the word. Maybe a class or study landnav, gunnery, or other things until formation.

1600 Fall out to the company area waiting for formation.

1615/1630 Company Formation:

The CO will address you say "It was a good day we got alot accomplished, we still have alot more to do ......"

1st Sgt will address you with anything he has to say.

Gunnery Sgt

Then you will be dismissed

Then the Platoon Commander and then the Platoon Sgt. Then you are dismissed.

Of course then the Squad Leader may have his thing.

Then you head off for evening chow. Often this is the only time of day that you will go to the Chow Hall.

Evening is spent getting ready for the next day, doing laundry, hitting the base snack shake for soda/beer video games etc, maybe a trip to the base theater, or even going out in town if a freind has a car or you have a car. Other options include reading and listening to music and maybe TV in the company rec room or a buddys room who has a TV and VCR.

Then the night ends and the day is repeated.

The activities are pretty standard. Occasionaly there will be a official class demo from say engineers, maybe a lecture from the Chaplain or SgtMajor asking for money for Navy Releif or something like that. The order of the activities can rotate as well.

Normaly you are expected to fall out 15 minutes prior to the official time of the formation.

And Thursday is a field day. That is where you clean EVERYTHING!!! I mean you clean even the light fixtures Q-Tip clean, remove the plate to electrical outlets Q-tip them everything. And if one person fails the whole company or platoon depending on the CO starts ALL over. I have had field days last until 0400.

So this is what a basic routine day is like
Now you know

Jess"

Twehman
02-15-08, 07:40 PM
Are there certain MOS's that can help you get a career in the Marines easier? Say if someone wanted to serve 20 years then retire would it be harder to do that with an infantry chose vs a Signal Int. or an Avionics job or do they all allow you to stay in for as long as you wish?

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 10:35 PM
Are there certain MOS's that can help you get a career in the Marines easier? Say if someone wanted to serve 20 years then retire would it be harder to do that with an infantry chose vs a Signal Int. or an Avionics job or do they all allow you to stay in for as long as you wish?

Twehman, Jbthomp,

Infantry "work" takes a toll physically on your body, without even getting into the physchological aspect of things.

Promotions ans opportunities in Intel are out there as they need good people right now to support the mission at hand. I would seriously give the thought to the intel option, if you are making the Corps a career, but don't rule out the option of laterally moving after your first tour. I did four as an 03, but if I were to go back in, I would take a serious look at the other side.

Good luck!:idea:

Big Jim
02-16-08, 12:59 AM
I was at MEPS on the first of the month. I had my physical with not problems, and I took the ASVAB and got a 96. I signed my DEP contract as well, with my ship date set for May 12th.

At the Poolie function on the 9th of this month, my recruiter sat down with me to talk about the MOS I want. We went over the MOSs that have openings at the time of my ship date, all that good stuff. We narrowed it down to three that I was interested in: Infantry, Signals Intelligence/Ground Electronic Warfare, and Visual Information. 0300, 2600, and 4600, respectively. I left with instructions to call my recruiter as soon as I made a decision.

I've been trying to decide for a week, and the only thing I've been able to do is eliminate Visual Information as a choice. That happened fairly quickly. The thing now is that I CANNOT DECIDE between Infantry and SI/GEW. So now I turn to this forum for any input at all. If there are any other poolies looking at these fields, or if there are any Marines currently working in these fields, anything you have to say is greatly appreciated.

You have to ask your self and your recruiter what each job entails...like, "Where would I be going and what would I be doing and is this the right decision for me?" The questions wold be the most important ones you can ask of anyone including yourself. Nobody else can make this decision for you but you can listen to other peoples experiences who have done the jobs before you but understand this: Their experiences might NOT be exactly like yours so their descriptions would be just an outlook and not like a book that things are going to happen from stage to stage. Every job and experience you have in the Marine Corps is yours and as to how good and fun it will be is all up to you and how much you put into it, understand?

I spent my entire first enlistment with Recon and trained with them...its a rough life but it was very rewarding and alot of fun. We got to go everywhere and train hard and play hard too! I made some of the best friends in my life, I still stay in contact with a few of them! But I also had fun being on the support side of things too! Every job in the marine Corps is a NEEDED job. It just all depends on what YOU want to do...as it is YOUR decision and nobody else's, ok? So, weigh things carefully and I'm sure you'll make the right one. Good luck!!!

LeonardLawrence
02-16-08, 01:04 AM
You have to ask your self and your recruiter what each job entails...like, "Where would I be going and what would I be doing and is this the right decision for me?" The questions wold be the most important ones you can ask of anyone including yourself. Nobody else can make this decision for you but you can listen to other peoples experiences who have done the jobs before you but understand this: Their experiences might NOT be exactly like yours so their descriptions would be just an outlook and not like a book that things are going to happen from stage to stage. Every job and experience you have in the Marine Corps is yours and as to how good and fun it will be is all up to you and how much you put into it, understand?

I spent my entire first enlistment with Recon and trained with them...its a rough life but it was very rewarding and alot of fun. We got to go everywhere and train hard and play hard too! I made some of the best friends in my life, I still stay in contact with a few of them! But I also had fun being on the support side of things too! Every job in the marine Corps is a NEEDED job. It just all depends on what YOU want to do...as it is YOUR decision and nobody else's, ok? So, weigh things carefully and I'm sure you'll make the right one. Good luck!!!

and...what the Sgt Said!....

davblay
02-16-08, 04:44 PM
Notice that all the posts are from other poolees, except two that is, and they all gave you what THEY would do! Now truth is, if faced with the same decision, they would not know what to do either! The best thing to do is wait for a Marine to post that has experience in one or both MOSs! Ask the right questions to get the right answers. But by all means have a heart to heart talk with your recruiter, he has the most information you can get on either or both MOSs! I was Never (personally) a Grunt, so I can't say about that, but I really enjoyed my time in support! No regrets what so ever!

My point (here) is that Poolees have no Idea what they are talking about...as they are poolees just like you are! They have not been there OR done that! They are all speculating, or passing on what they remember someone telling them! They are NOT qualified to answer that question! Follow your heart and listen to your recruiter and you will do fine. Don't let PEER PRESSURE from fellow poolees sway your decision! There is nothing more miserable in life than having a job that you hate, when you can't do anything about it! You have to make yourself go to work each day, and you feel trapped!

Good luck Poolee,

Dave

1stRad2671
02-16-08, 08:40 PM
If you want to know about linguist side of the 2600 field read my posts.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/search.php?searchid=234274

However, no Marine ever has the exact same experiences. There is no way to know exactly what you would end up doing. It is entirely possible to be pulling the trigger as a 2600.

kelley26
02-16-08, 09:49 PM
Notice that all the posts are from other poolees, except two that is, and they all gave you what THEY would do! Now truth is, if faced with the same decision, they would not know what to do either! The best thing to do is wait for a Marine to post that has experience in one or both MOSs! Ask the right questions to get the right answers. But by all means have a heart to heart talk with your recruiter, he has the most information you can get on either or both MOSs! I was Never (personally) a Grunt, so I can't say about that, but I really enjoyed my time in support! No regrets what so ever!

My point (here) is that Poolees have no Idea what they are talking about...as they are poolees just like you are! They have not been there OR done that! They are all speculating, or passing on what they remember someone telling them! They are NOT qualified to answer that question! Follow your heart and listen to your recruiter and you will do fine. Don't let PEER PRESSURE from fellow poolees sway your decision! There is nothing more miserable in life than having a job that you hate, when you can't do anything about it! You have to make yourself go to work each day, and you feel trapped!

Good luck Poolee,

Dave

That was very well said Cpl.! yea personally if I were you I would do what you felt is right for you! Don't listen to us the only thing us poolees really know is just as much as you know (which is not jackshat)! We're not Marines so were more lost then last years easter eggs! (and the truth be known I probably don't know what I'm getting myself into) by the way I signed 03xx.

LeonardLawrence
02-16-08, 09:56 PM
That was very well said Cpl.! yea personally if I were you I would do what you felt is right for you! Don't listen to us the only thing us poolees really know is just as much as you know (which is not jackshat)! We're not Marines so were more lost then last years easter eggs! (and the truth be known I probably don't know what I'm getting myself into) by the way I signed 03xx.

Even the Marines, who haven't made the change, haven't experienced it.

We are offering an armchair view of the situation filtered through our life experience.

Cpl DavBlay is correct as always....

jrhd97
02-16-08, 09:58 PM
I enjoyed being a glorified grunt. Was ordered to lat move to Motor-T mechanic due to need of the Corps. I went in open contract, knowing that the chance of ending up a grunt was 99.99%, and that was fine.
Knowing what I know now, with your options I would have picked signals.
My brother-in -law went to the Army for signals. Went to Hawaii, got sent to Ft. Meade to the NSA. Now a civilian working for a DOD contracter doing close to what he did for the NSA, but in the $130 + salary range. Don't know exactly what he did.The Marines and the Army are worlds apart, but he had Marine detachments in both units.
The opputunities when you get out are generaly better with the other than grunt MOS's.
Ultimately it's your decision. If you like beign outside. Like physical activitie, lots of PT, and endlessly cleaning weapons in preparation for when you will need it. If you really want to be a figthing man try the 0300's. If you want to set the base for a good career after the Corps, and don't really care for the physical stuff, check out the others.

jrhd97
02-16-08, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah. DavBlay is right.
If you want infantry. Go mechanized. Much easier on the body.

Jbthomp
02-18-08, 05:02 PM
I asked my recruiter this question, but he never called me back with an answer.

Which MOS is easier to reinlist/transfer into?
If I choose to go in as one MOS, and then try and reinlist as my second option after 4 years, which one would be the better MOS to start with?

Infantry for 4 years, then SI/GEW?
Or vice versa?

At this point, I think I might go in as 03XX and then attempt to move to 26XX, unless someone tells me that might be a bad idea.

MrFish
02-18-08, 06:30 PM
DavBlay has a good point... it is only real Marines who know what they're talking about, as us poolees can only speculate, research, and gather advice from other Marines. Unfortunately, it is not (usually) the Marine that has to choose an MOS, but the poolee. I was nearly in your EXACT same position not one month ago, I got a 97 on my ASVAB and have a decent PFT (not sure about an exact score), and couldn't decide between Sig/Int, Intel (02xx), or Infantry. I talked to a lot of guys who've been 02's, and they said that if you want to get dirty and you want a job that can keep your interest, Intel isn't as bad as a lot of guys who haven't done it before will make it out to be. The responsibilities supposedly vary a good deal across the whole field, depending on where you go and who you're attached to. Some intel guys do, according to other Marines, get to go on foot patrols with Infantry guys, but naturally that isn't their main task. One thing about Sig/Int is that it's a 5 year contract, with two years between the day you ship to boot and the day you hit the fleet, which is why I ended up ruling that one out. I put Intel as my top choice, and then Infantry, figuring that if I didn't somehow pass the background check required for a Top Secret clearance, which you need to be an 02, then I'd get put into Infantry, which was tied in my mind with Intel. In any case, being an 02 might be worth looking into (check out the thread called "Intelligence Specialist" on this website for more info).

JGWright
02-18-08, 06:36 PM
If you want infantry. Go mechanized. Much easier on the body.

True, it's improbable you'll get the full 30 in as grunt infantry.

SGT7477
02-18-08, 06:41 PM
One thing you people got to understand damn fast is the Corp. is going to put your ass where they need you there are no guarantees, now get your ass down and give me 50.

davblay
02-18-08, 07:04 PM
DavBlay has a good point... it is only real Marines who know what they're talking about, as us poolees can only speculate, research, and gather advice from other Marines. Unfortunately, it is not (usually) the Marine that has to choose an MOS, but the poolee. I was nearly in your EXACT same position not one month ago, I got a 97 on my ASVAB and have a decent PFT (not sure about an exact score), and couldn't decide between Sig/Int, Intel (02xx), or Infantry. I talked to a lot of guys who've been 02's, and they said that if you want to get dirty and you want a job that can keep your interest, Intel isn't as bad as a lot of guys who haven't done it before will make it out to be. The responsibilities supposedly vary a good deal across the whole field, depending on where you go and who you're attached to. Some intel guys do, according to other Marines, get to go on foot patrols with Infantry guys, but naturally that isn't their main task. One thing about Sig/Int is that it's a 5 year contract, with two years between the day you ship to boot and the day you hit the fleet, which is why I ended up ruling that one out. I put Intel as my top choice, and then Infantry, figuring that if I didn't somehow pass the background check required for a Top Secret clearance, which you need to be an 02, then I'd get put into Infantry, which was tied in my mind with Intel. In any case, being an 02 might be worth looking into (check out the thread called "Intelligence Specialist" on this website for more info).

Thanks MrFish.......as you can see even MrFish used the terms "talked to a lot of guys who've been 02's", and "According to other Marines"! The rest is ALL HEAR SAY as he has no experience himself! Again let your heart be your guide, do not be swayed by any of your peers! They know no more than you do about it, probably less!

Do as you will, I am alway the kind of guy that will gladly say "I told you so"!

Good Luck,

Dave

Big Jim
02-18-08, 08:21 PM

Listen up, Poolie Fish...you need to understand a whole lot more than you do about jobs in the Marine Corps...there are ALOT of high security and top secret clearance jobs that require at least 4 years experience and to be of a certain rank and of certain experience in a job! So, Marines DO have a more in-depth choice as to which job they are choosing to work! Especially if it means more responsibility and a more visible profile. You'd KNOW that if you WERE a Marine and had at least a little knowledge of what you're talking about! What needs to happen here is YOU need to stop giving advice about something you know next to nothing about. Let this guy make his choice and you make your own, besides you have next to no influence at all over anyone. You're going to have a rough time in bootcamp if you do THIS to your platoon buddies and your DI's are going to LOVE you for it!!! Live and learn, poolie!!

kelley26
02-18-08, 10:56 PM
I asked my recruiter this question, but he never called me back with an answer.

Which MOS is easier to reinlist/transfer into?
If I choose to go in as one MOS, and then try and reinlist as my second option after 4 years, which one would be the better MOS to start with?

Infantry for 4 years, then SI/GEW?
Or vice versa?

At this point, I think I might go in as 03XX and then attempt to move to 26XX, unless someone tells me that might be a bad idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong Marines, but I don't think you can go from a higher ranking job to a lower ranking one (meaning you can't be a intel Marine and then decide to be a ground pounder) thats one of the reasons i picked infantry first so I could "experience":) the infantry, then if i wanted to I could go be a jet engine mechanic after my 4 years of 03xx was over. I just heard this I'm not sure if its carved in stone but it made since to me.

davblay
02-18-08, 11:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Marines, but I don't think you can go from a higher ranking job to a lower ranking one (meaning you can't be a intel Marine and then decide to be a ground pounder) thats one of the reasons i picked infantry first so I could "experience":) the infantry, then if i wanted to I could go be a jet engine mechanic after my 4 years of 03xx was over. I just heard this I'm not sure if its carved in stone but it made since to me.

OK! Poolee Kelley you are walking on very thin ice.........steer clear. This poolee has been given advice from Marines, so don't confuse him any more than he already is!

In your post you said "I don't think"! That tells me that you should have kept your opinion to yourself! So as you asked....YOU'RE WRONG!

That's my NCO professional opinion! Say AYE SIR!

Dave

ttracker65
02-18-08, 11:48 PM
Gentlemen you can go as far as your brain can carry you in the Corps with one exception. You will be placed where you are most needed and kept only if you can cut it. Your GT score does help but bottom line. Until that day at graduation when your DI Calls your name and hands your orders will you know for sure. As to the ferry tail that you can not lat. down that is not true but it is easier to lat. up in my time i did move from 1833 to 7222. As to clearences do not go into debt and keep your nose clean and you will be ok. Good luck and poolies are ok but Shellbacks are better

kelley26
02-19-08, 09:51 PM
OK! Poolee Kelley you are walking on very thin ice.........steer clear. This poolee has been given advice from Marines, so don't confuse him any more than he already is!

In your post you said "I don't think"! That tells me that you should have kept your opinion to yourself! So as you asked....YOU'RE WRONG!

That's my NCO professional opinion! Say AYE SIR!

Dave

Aye Sir!

Jbthomp
02-19-08, 09:52 PM
I finally spoke with my recruiter today.

He offered up a scenario that I hadn't thought about, and he said is completely possible. He said the thing he would do is enlist as Intelligence, learn a language courtesy of the Corps, function as 26XX for a while, and then try and make the switch to Infantry at a later date. That way, there's a 25% chance that I'll learn Arabic, and that's something I could use over in the sandbox. He also reminded me that Recon is still an option, even in Intelligence.

I actually liked this scenario alot.
So, to you Marines, is that too good to be true?

The thought did cross my mind that my recruiter might just be telling me what I want to hear in order to get me to enlist as Intelligence. Thought?

ttracker65
02-19-08, 10:13 PM
jbthomp the real question is, is this what you want. Please scroll up 3 posts and re read my post. You ass u me that you will win and hold this MOS. It can be a great position for a career Marine. If you are into it only for the fight it may seem tame. Those are your only real choices. As to holding a security clearence half the MOS's in the Corps have to hold at least a confidential on need to know basis clearence so if this is what you are looking for it is not hard to find. The choice is yours but remember the term DREAM SHEET. Luck to you