PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine wins award for life saving bomb sensor

thedrifter
02-15-08, 01:09 PM
Local Marine wins award for life saving bomb sensor

By DAVE FOPAY, Staff Writer
dfopay@jg-tc.com

CHARLESTON — Stories of dangers faced by soldiers fighting the war in Iraq frequently mention the hidden roadside bombs that can cause devastation before they’re detected.

So, Charleston native Jacob Murdock’s work in the U.S. Marine Corps has centered on the use of ground sensors to help detect those roadside bombs. The sensors pick up seismic activity and sound, as well as produce images, to monitor where the bombs might be placed.

“We are able to detect that activity,” the Marine sergeant and platoon commander said.

The success Murdock and his eight, four-person teams had with the sensors in Iraq from March to October last year helped him receive recognition from an association made up of civilian contractors and military intelligence officers. Last month, he received the 2008 Rivet Amber Award from the MASINT Association, an award that recognizes effective operations and distinguished service.

Murdock said most of the details of his platoon’s work is classified, but he was able to say that the work with the sensors led to several successful missions.

“It’s why we’re getting the recognition,” he said. “We developed some new techniques and tactics.”

The award was based on training, reputation and expertise, Murdock explained, and he was quick to say that receiving it was a credit to his entire platoon.

“It was unexpected,” he said. “I was definitely humbled to be put up for the award and actually being given the award. It was all hard work by my Marines. It wasn’t just me.”

Murdock is currently stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., but is scheduled to return to Iraq in three weeks for a seven-month tour. It will be his fifth overseas deployment and his third to Iraq, to go along with tours in Afghanistan and the Philippines.

The 1995 Charleston High School graduate has been in the Marines almost 13 years. He said he’s in the infantry “by trade” but entered intelligence training about a year and a half ago. His parents are Beth and Robert Murdock of Charleston.

Contact Dave Fopay at dfopay@jg-tc.com or 348-5733.

Ellie