PDA

View Full Version : I am 29 and thinking about being a MARINE

barquera
02-15-08, 01:07 PM
I just completed my Bachelors Degree in Telecommunications from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName>Michigan</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceType>University</st1:PlaceType>. I’m 29 years old and am thinking about joining the Marines as an Officer. I just moved back to Southern California and am currently staying with my parents. I am looking for employment but was thinking about the Marines as an option. I have a son who is 12 years old and is well taken care of by his mother. She does not mind me joining the Marines but she is a little concerned about the extended periods of time that I would be away from my son. Other than that I can’t see how I could go wrong with joining. I am single right now, I will have medical/dental for my son and myself, my tuition bill for college will be paid for, housing will be covered etc.<ST1:pSouthern go 12 font < etc. covered be will housing for, paid college for bill tuition my myself, and son dental medical have I now, right single am joining. with wrong could how see can’t that than Other son. from away would time of periods extended the about concerned little a is she but Marines joining me mind not does She mother. his by care taken well old years who option. an as thinking was employment looking parents. staying currently California>

Is life as an officer a good career choice?
Do you like being an officer?<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< font O:p<>
What’s it like being in your 30s and 40s in the Marines?
What are my chances of being stationed in Southern California
Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?<O:p< font O:p<>

<O:p< O:p< p>Please, any thoughts or advice would help<O:p< font O:p<>
I am slightly scared to join but at the same time I ain't getting any younger and I want to be a part of a team and have a true career. I think that being a Marine can fullfill that.
</O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></ST1:pSouthern>

rvillac2
02-15-08, 01:48 PM

Do you like being an officer?

There are other sites that may be more insightful for you. This forum is mostly for poolees wishing to enlist. There are some officers here that might answer, but you should do a search for the other Officer specific websites.
<O:p

You won't be breaking any records. Depending on how crusty your face is, it's often hard to tell how old you are when we're all in uniform.

Depends on a lot of variables, but chances are fairly good. We have two major bases here, an air station in Miramar and a logistics base in Barstow. Now, how often you'll actually be IN So Cal is anybody's guess.

Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?
Yes

skaterjon89
02-15-08, 02:49 PM
Being a military brat, I can definitely tell you it is hard to maintain a family...

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 10:02 PM
http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Braden
02-26-08, 07:32 PM
I just completed my Bachelors Degree in Telecommunications from <st1>lacename>Michigan</st1>lacename> <st1>lacetype>State</st1>lacetype> <st1>lacetype>University</st1>lacetype>. I’m 29 years old and am thinking about joining the Marines as an Officer. I just moved back to Southern California and am currently staying with my parents. I am looking for employment but was thinking about the Marines as an option. I have a son who is 12 years old and is well taken care of by his mother. She does not mind me joining the Marines but she is a little concerned about the extended periods of time that I would be away from my son. Other than that I can’t see how I could go wrong with joining. I am single right now, I will have medical/dental for my son and myself, my tuition bill for college will be paid for, housing will be covered etc.<st1>Southern go 12 font < etc. covered be will housing for, paid college for bill tuition my myself, and son dental medical have I now, right single am joining. with wrong could how see can’t that than Other son. from away would time of periods extended the about concerned little a is she but Marines joining me mind not does She mother. his by care taken well old years who option. an as thinking was employment looking parents. staying currently California>

Do you like being an officer?<o>< font O<>
Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?<o>< font O<>

<o>< O< p>Please, any thoughts or advice would help<o>< font O<>
I am slightly scared to join but at the same time I ain't getting any younger and I want to be a part of a team and have a true career. I think that being a Marine can fullfill that.
</o><></o><></o><></o><></st1>Southern>
The first thing you need to do is contact an Officer Selection Officer. You can request information form this link:

http://officer.marines.com/page/Officer-Request-More-Information.jsp

Or, seek out the nearest Marine recruiter and they should be able to put you in touch with an officer selection officer.

The main concern is your age. You need to speak with them and see if you can get an age waiver. It will depend upon how good the rest of your package is, i.e. you're in great shape (285+ PFT), have few to zero blemishes on your record, and come up with solid references.

If you have any more specific questions I can try to answer them or direct you to someone who will. But, speak with an OSO, he will point you in the right direction.

Wyoming
02-26-08, 09:10 PM
Yo, O-1 - You a Mustang? If so, my ultimate respect.

If not, well, let's talk when when you pickup your next rank.:cool:

Kidding!!!

Welcome - :beer:

Braden
02-26-08, 09:37 PM
Yo, O-1 - You a Mustang?

Yes, I am.

Wyoming
02-26-08, 09:52 PM
Yes, I am.

Semper Fi, Lt, works for me.

Braden
02-26-08, 09:59 PM
Semper Fi, Lt, works for me.
Semper Fi, Marine.

rvillac2
02-27-08, 01:55 AM
Oohrah, 2Lt. B. Welcome Aboard.
1Lt. Isrowei is also aboard and he's another Mustang.

aust10n
02-28-08, 01:40 PM
O-1 looks like a butter bar.

bucksgted
02-28-08, 05:14 PM
Here's hoping that "butter bar" kicks your ass the first time he sees you. Don't know how the others feel, but in my opinion, it is highly disrespectful.

rvillac2
02-28-08, 05:46 PM

You've seen too many movies, GameStop.
Keep these type of comments to yourself.

PFTstud
03-01-08, 05:50 PM
Being a Marine Corp Officer is NO joke.

Good luck.

Very honorable.

davblay
03-02-08, 10:30 AM

Austin that was totaly uncalled for! It may look like a "BUTTER BAR", and some of us old salts refer to it as such! But you as a Poolee haven't earned the right to use such terms relating to a 2nd LT! He has earned the right to be addressed as SIR by all Marines of less rank and definately by POOLEES! I think an open aplogy is in order from you to this fine officer! I don't care who in your family has served before you, that is a bad habit that you do not need to carry with you into my Corps! This Oficer has been there and done that, He deserves no less respect than any Officer you will encounter in the Corps!

I am removing my avatar from your buddy list until you POST the appropriate apology to this fine officer and th NCOs you may have insulted in any PMs you may have sent out! I do not condon this type of behavior, nor will I make exception in your case. Maybe your little time off wasn't enough time off from this site. You do not have the pleasure of picking and chosing your superiors that you respect, in this site or in the Corps! If you do not do as I asked you to I will take the needed steps to see to it that you nevr post here again! DO YOU UNDERSTAND POOLEE? Say "AYE SIR", and do it now!

Dave

SGT7477
03-02-08, 12:10 PM
Yes you do owe that Marine Officer an apology.

Wyoming
03-02-08, 12:15 PM

Dipshiz!!!!:mad:

aust10n
03-02-08, 01:29 PM
Sorry for referring to the O-1 rank as a butter bar.

Brandon1
03-02-08, 02:33 PM
I dont think that was a good enough apology. Fvck sorry sorry lol. This is a Marine thing Poolee's and Wannabee's stay out, I know, I know but I just had to say that lol.

Wyoming
03-02-08, 02:55 PM
Sorry for referring to the O-1 rank as a butter bar.

Kid, I remember you, and it is with distaste.

WTF - Who was that pizz poor write-up directed too?

You were not referring your remark to the O-1 rank, but to a fellow Marine, of mine, of which you ain't, and the 2ndLt is a Mustang.

Do you still have to time to GO ARMY?

Phantom Blooper
03-02-08, 03:59 PM
I pm'ed that kid yesterday telling him to apologize or I would have him go on vacation. He wrote back,What did I do?" I explained and told him to read the comments from the Marines there. He wrote back and told me that shiat about his granddad...and he would listen to Dave instead of me and do what he said.

I pm'ed Dave and gave him the heads up that that kid was using his name in vain. And Dave did the azz chewing. Every so often you get a dipshiat in here. Dave was wrong in his post about NCO's it should have also read SNCO's.

Take care! Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

SlingerDun
03-02-08, 04:08 PM
O-1 looks like a butter bar.....Sorry for referring to the O-1 rank as a butter baranonymous boy: someday you may live or work with men who didn't develop their callous from a joystick, and when disrespected, SORRY or not, will call you out for a role in the gravel in short order. Until then you can feel snotty and secure sniping behind a keyboard without spilling blood, and return home to mommas bosom. Day's will come and you just might have to prove up:thumbdown

--->Dave Mims

davblay
03-02-08, 05:48 PM
Austin that was totaly uncalled for! It may look like a "BUTTER BAR", and some of us old salts refer to it as such! But you as a Poolee haven't earned the right to use such terms relating to a 2nd LT! He has earned the right to be addressed as SIR by all Marines of less rank and definately by POOLEES! I think an open aplogy is in order from you to this fine officer! I don't care who in your family has served before you, that is a bad habit that you do not need to carry with you into my Corps! This Oficer has been there and done that, He deserves no less respect than any Officer you will encounter in the Corps!

I am removing my avatar from your buddy list until you POST the appropriate apology to this fine officer and th NCOs you may have insulted in any PMs you may have sent out! I do not condon this type of behavior, nor will I make exception in your case. Maybe your little time off wasn't enough time off from this site. You do not have the pleasure of picking and chosing your superiors that you respect, in this site or in the Corps! If you do not do as I asked you to I will take the needed steps to see to it that you nevr post here again! DO YOU UNDERSTAND POOLEE? Say "AYE SIR", and do it now!

Dave

I am still waiting for that apology to the Good 2nd Lt and the NCOs on this thread! What you posted is some sort of a joke, right? Say AYE SIR, and do it!

Dave

aust10n
03-02-08, 07:14 PM
I am still waiting for that apology to the Good 2nd Lt and the NCOs on this thread! What you posted is some sort of a joke, right? Say AYE SIR, and do it!

Dave

I didn't direct my comment to Braden.

Go to google images type in "butter bar", google suggests "Also try:2lt rank (http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=2lt+rank&revid=1101872172&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=1)"

I did say my apology. I apologized for Saying that the O-1 rank looks like a butter bar. I apologized for exactly what I did.

aust10n
03-02-08, 07:27 PM
AYE AYE CPL!

NCO'S, BRADEN I'M SOO SORRY I CALLED YOUR RANK OF 2ndLT A BUTTER BAR SIRS!

davblay
03-02-08, 07:29 PM
Give it a few minutes Jim! Please?

Dave

dutch1291
03-02-08, 08:07 PM
This isn't going to be pretty.

Bullpup
03-02-08, 08:49 PM
Wow. Aust10n you better say a prayer for yourself quick because no one else is going to. It is not my place to pass judgement on you as I am not yet a Marine but I would certainly suggest you make a proper apology like a man. Before the rest of the Marines hear about this and murder you. You've disrespected a Marine, an Officer, and a true gentlman. What's more, you've given that Marine a half hearted bratty apology. Now remedy the situation like you've got a pair.

I apologize to all the Marines here. I know it is not my place to reprimand poolee's but it makes my blood boil when one poolee makes the rest of us look bad by acting like a troll.

myers130
03-02-08, 09:20 PM
you can't just come out on a forum and call an 0-1 butterbars... for one he's a MARINE your not, and second look at his profile.... been in since 1998 and he's only an 0-1 PROBABLY because he's prior enlisted worked his ass off and is now an officer.... know your place poolee

myers130
03-02-08, 09:27 PM
so you and 2nd Lt. Braden are drinking buddies now too huh, I'm pretty sure there's some type of title before his last name there.

Isrowei
03-03-08, 07:44 AM
Gentlemen, as with all things, a person is known by the words that he says and the actions that he does. Aust10n has made a comment on his character. Sniping back from the keyboard (no matter how justified) serves little purpose. The biggest insult you do to a person is to ignore them. Let's leave it at that.

Back to the original post:

I think so. But there are many "good" career choices. The question is if it's "good" for you.

Do you like being an officer?
Absolutely. But more importantly.. I like being a Marine. Once you settle that part, the rest is easy.
<O:p< font O:p<>
You're not 18. Don't act like it. Be smart about your body, it's limits, and how you condition it. With that being said, do your best. The best leadership is by example, however, we're not all PT studs (it's statistically impossible). Just be smart about it.

What are my chances of being stationed in Southern California?
Simply put, it depends on your job. Your job depends on your performance at TBS. Talk to your OSO more about this.

Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?
It's as hard as you want it to be really. Keep your priorities in line. The Marine Corps is a good job, a great career, and the closest group of friends you can imagine. Almost like family.. But remember that in the Corps you are a replacable cog. Should you leave, die, or PCS, someone will step in to fill your place. But for your family... you're it. There is no replacement for a father or a husband. As I said before, keep your priorities in line. The Marine Corps is demanding for sure. Make sure you p</O:p<>

SGT7477
03-03-08, 08:06 AM
You hit the nail right on the head,Sir. Semper FI.

sparkie
03-03-08, 08:14 AM
Leave it to NCOs to start stomin and a 1LT to calm things down, the way of things,LOL. As it should be.

Phantom Blooper
03-03-08, 08:23 AM
Leave it to NCOs to start stomin and a 1LT to calm things down, the way of things,LOL. As it should be.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I started stomping in PM's then an NCO name was used in vain....so I let him have it. Thats whay my post above was deleted about this young Marine Friend.:evilgrin:

Isrowei
03-03-08, 09:09 AM
Hmm, it seems the end of last answer got cut off. Let me add it here then:

Make sure you put equal effort (if not more) into your family that the Marine Corps will demand that you afford it. You have a 12 year old son already. You know as well as I that he is far more important than any job (even the Corps) will ever be.

Lastly, just a note to the NCOs and SNCOs who posted here: You guys are awesome and I can always count that you'll be there to keep things in line the way they should be. I greatly appreciate it. It's because of dedicated, attentive Marines like you that Officers like me have the opportunity to be successful. Keep up the good work. Thanks for having our back.

E5NAMKROW
03-05-08, 12:32 PM
Since When Do We Give Orders To Civilians? I Agree He Made A Mistake But The Manner In Which We Deal With These Future Marines Verbally Or Otherwise May Shape Their Decisions. An Apology Should Be Provided From The Poolee.

sparkie
03-05-08, 06:32 PM
I would not presume to give orders to a Civvie, unless his job was on the line. However, this is my site, and yours. He is an envited guest, and a wanna be, whom we around here try to help, not hurt.
If he can't take rules and a few critics, you want him on the line with you?
They come in asking help, they leave when they quit believeing in themselves and start blaming us. Weeding is a good thing.
I'd like to see great Marines, not just fertilizer in foreign soil.
No Offence, Bro. Just my opinion.

Phantom Blooper
03-05-08, 07:33 PM
Since When Do We Give Orders To Civilians? I Agree He Made A Mistake But The Manner In Which We Deal With These Future Marines Verbally Or Otherwise May Shape Their Decisions. An Apology Should Be Provided From The Poolee.

Well, let me say this about that. Most of the people here are well educated, successful, talented, decent, and friendly Marines. We all share a love for the United States Marine Corps,the military services and America! We come from many ethnic, religious, national,and diverse backgrounds, hailing from all over this great country and Canada. You'll find many veterans, some infirmed folks, grandparents, retirees, and parents here.....Active duty,retired and veterans with 2-6 year service. There are skills and talents here capable of doing virtually anything imaginable.

So we all gather here, many of us in lieu of television to get a little insulting, mouth off,opinionated,controversial, share stories, mentor,share pictures, and share the day to day aspects of life, of living, of being human and being a Marine or being affiliated with the Marine Corps in some way,capacity or form. So we are a bunch of friends,comrades,brothers and sisters, most of whom would come to your aid in a snap and wish that we could trade places many times with the younger generation that are running the marathon run,fighting the good fight and keep the torch flame burning high!

Yes we have disagreements, yes we get stupid, and yes we can even be boring. But we are still friends and comrades with more in common than not, the likes of our brother and sister predecessors.....ALL.

When a poolee or wannabee comes on a site for Marines and are disrespectful to one Marine they are disrespectful all Marines collectively.If a poolee or wannabee asks a question we for the most part give an answer from knowledge and experience whether it be our time in the Marine Corps or life from various generations. They have for the most part been good and respectful toward Marines. However you have that 10% lets their mouth over run their hummingbird azz and don't want to listen to anyone. To maintain good order and discipline there are rules in place.

These young men and woman are being shown a little bit how the Marine Corps is and a free to ask most anything and unless the question is below rock and ocean level an answer is given and they are pointed in a direction that is conducive to the best interest of the Marine Corps.

Whether one is retired,active or a veteran Marine of any era we can criticize because we have humped more than a mile in their boots and we wouldn't ask or tell them to do anything that we wouldn't do or have done.

We have marched across that grinder and earned that title to be called a Marine...we will keep that title into our passing destiny and the legacy of the Marine Corps will last until eternity no longer exists. When these young men and women earn that coveted title and the Marines Corps emblem then they will baptized in a different world and will have the same level and say as a United States Marine. :evilgrin:

<!-- / message -->

Whigwam
03-06-08, 09:51 AM
Just a thought as a Poolee/Wannabe Marine.
Isn't the whole point of being a Marine about Honor Courage and Committment. what is honor without Respect?
I think that considering Marines are looked up to by everyone else, its up to us Poolee's and Wannabe's to reflect the standards even before we earn the title. Show respect to EVERYONE and especially to a Marine. Open Doors for ladies/the infirm/ elders to walk in before you. Stop for someone stuck on the side of the road, help them change that tire (not only for that ravishing damsel in distress.) It dosent matter what they say and what they refer a certain rank to as within the system or without it, I believe we should hold ourselves to standards equal to and above what we expect from others and show respect where respect is due. If you oneday expect to earn the title Marine, Start earning respect by showing respect. NO EXCUSES, NO EXCEPTIONS.

sorry, didnt mean to preach but i truly feel this way and was hoping others felt the same way within the poolee and wannabe community. i hope i was not out of bounds and apologise if i was.

ttracker65
03-07-08, 12:35 PM
Whigwam you are not out of line and you are right. As a Marine you will be a represenitive of my Marine Corps and be expected to act as such. As a poolee you are fighting for that right to put on the uniform. Your actions and words will be watched as a Marine because we represent America in it's finest form. I am 45 now and have been out for some time and I still call any female past the age of 16 ma'am and I still open doors and help old ladies across the street. Why? Because all I have is my word my Corps and my respect. You will do just fine. By the term you heard in the post of Mavrick is a term of enlisted that Earned the rank of Officer and are Highly respected among the enlisted ranks

geneo204
03-07-08, 08:47 PM
Barque's, Your age is against you, however if you do get in I am sure you will enjoy yourself, and so will your family, The Marines are looking for qualified people, who are serious about joining, My Son is in the Helicopters
and is now in South Korea, His family is in Hawaii, (home base,) I myself
went in at age 24, and breezed through boot camp, I ran Track at Arizona
State, so I was in good shape for boot camp. However I droped out of
school my junior year, and had to go in as a pvt;. but made rank real fast.
got out an E-5. Sgt. you will have a lot of fun and will see the world, it is
what you make of it. ( Marine Corps takes care of their own)
geneo: Semper Fi.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-08, 08:06 AM

I think you need to step back and re-read the rules of this site, esp as they pertain to poolees and wannabees. Also, since when do Marine NCO's refer to themselves using the paygrade? Not in the Marine Corps I was in.

We know exactly what we are doing and why.