PDA

View Full Version : How to augment one's word knowledge in a short timeframe?

Ub3rmike
02-14-08, 10:21 PM
So for the last several months I've been tutoring people at the RSS for the ASVAB. I've found that the any difficulties applicants have in math can be easily rectified with a couple of laminated formula sheets and crash course on fractions, percents, and geometric calculations.

Nobody has had a problem with paragraph comprehension, and rightfully so, since it pretty much is a "stupidity/attention deficit/can you receive orders" test.

However, the big hang up seems to be the word knowledge. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can tell applicants to do to help them out in that area? If they're lucky, they'll have one of the ASVAB workbooks with a list of words to look at, but I tell them to focus on prefixs/suffixes and study Greek/Latin etymological roots. Flipping through a dictionary probably won't help, so I'd appreciate any of the personal experinces of any poolees or Marines who were able to improve their vocab for the ASVAB.

rvillac2
02-14-08, 11:30 PM
There are plenty of remedial vocabulary workbooks in the major bookstores. They should start with 9th and 10th grade levels and work their way up with any available time.

skaterjon89
02-15-08, 03:05 AM
I told some people to work on suffixes/prefixes also, they help greatly. Also I tell people to go to a library, and start reading a book that are interested in but is also challenging because they will see context clues and such. Also, find tell them to find various word knowledge tests online, and just practice practice practice...

The math part is also true, so many people I have tutored lack the basic mechanics of math; I teach them and make sure certain equations and the like are drilled in there head such as:

-Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (Parenthese Exponets Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction)
-Percent over a hundered equals is over of
-FOIL/ and my easier method if they like to hear and I feel they would understand
-Adding/ subtracting fractions
-Multiplication/ Division of fractions
-180 Degrees in a Triangle or it is NOT a triangle
-Simple theorems/ proofs
-Dividing/ multiplying decimals
-Multiplication tables
-Circle theorems
-etc.

I cram the stuff in within sessions and I usually study with the kid for about 1 1/2-2 weeks before they take the ASVAB for about 3-4 days each of the weeks.

What helps also I found out is not to cram EVERYTHING in one session, break it up, a person learns better if they have a well study time then can relax, sort of the theory "sleep on it..." Just do your best, if they are willing and want to learn what we have to teach them, they will do good.

Also I find the ASVAB practice books to be absolutely crap, especially the word knowledge, you should do what I did, I looked for some old prefix/suffix flash cards and had them study those also, then gave them a little quiz, honestly not much you can do there from what I have learned. Word knowledge reminds me of the SAT's test you on accumlative knowledge you have learned, you just can't teach someone hundreds of new words, however if you teach them the basics of how to find the clues to see what the words really mean they will do better because there not like "OH CRAP I DIDN'T LEARN THIS WORD!!!!" instead they will be like "pre is an affix of..."