PDA

View Full Version : I made a young Marine's day today :)

HomefrontHeroes
02-14-08, 07:35 PM
I had met a young Marine 2 days ago where I work and I told him I was going to bring cookies to the local base for Valentines day and asked him what squadron he was in, he is in C (or sea, I am a civilian and don't know lol) school so I asked him for his barracks number. I took a 4 plates of cookies into his barracks and asked someone to go get him for me. He came out and had a huge smile, I told him I am a woman of my word and gave him the cookies in front of about 10 Sailors and Marines. Everyone looked at him. He was the man of the hour since he had the cookies. By the time I left, I had gotten 4 hugs from him thanking me for doing what I do, I said, "no, thank YOU for what you are doing, and what you are going to do". It felt so good to make that young Marine happy. Yes, he did share the cookies :)

GySgtRet
02-14-08, 07:38 PM
It feels good doesn't it? I think what these Marines were telling you is Sea school is used to be either near San Diego or Coronado. That is where Sea going Marines come from.

:iwo:

Big Jim
02-14-08, 09:59 PM
I remember being north of Al Jabahl Air Base in Saudi Arabia, living in the sand and responding to "Any Marine" mail. I wrote back to a class of 3rd graders in Orange County, CA. They all wrote to me periodically with goodies like cookies and beef jerky and powdered Gatorade. Those were the best treats, especially with Dorito's!! Well, they all made a cassette tape with every class member saying, "I love you, Jim!" and they played that song by Poison called, something to believe in. That tape came at a time when the ground war had just kicked off and needless to say most of us in my platoon were less than motivated to say the least. But when we all heard that tape, we laughed til we cried and sides were hurting because the kids sounded so young and the small arms fire were not but 300 yards away.

So, thanks to that teacher and that class I went back to that school and thanked them all each and every student and teacher in that school! I'll be 41 years old this September, I'll take that memory with me where ever I go for the rest of my life. What you people do influences all Marines and servicemen and women to a great extent!! A kind act like yours created a lifelong memory for me and a good one too! Thank you for doing it and God bless!!

SlingerDun
02-15-08, 01:14 AM
Sea school was deactivated at MCRD Diego '87

HomefrontHeroes
02-15-08, 05:34 AM
I remember being north of Al Jabahl Air Base in Saudi Arabia, living in the sand and responding to "Any Marine" mail. I wrote back to a class of 3rd graders in Orange County, CA. They all wrote to me periodically with goodies like cookies and beef jerky and powdered Gatorade. Those were the best treats, especially with Dorito's!! Well, they all made a cassette tape with every class member saying, "I love you, Jim!" and they played that song by Poison called, something to believe in. That tape came at a time when the ground war had just kicked off and needless to say most of us in my platoon were less than motivated to say the least. But when we all heard that tape, we laughed til we cried and sides were hurting because the kids sounded so young and the small arms fire were not but 300 yards away.

So, thanks to that teacher and that class I went back to that school and thanked them all each and every student and teacher in that school! I'll be 41 years old this September, I'll take that memory with me where ever I go for the rest of my life. What you people do influences all Marines and servicemen and women to a great extent!! A kind act like yours created a lifelong memory for me and a good one too! Thank you for doing it and God bless!!

Ok, tissue time. :cry: I will remember the look on that young Marine's face when he saw me for a LONG time. I will keep doing this for as long as I can, I am addicted to those smiles :marine:

Artemis
02-15-08, 10:47 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread but C school is when you have 2 schools to go through for MOS. Like if you are in the wing you go through a basic course that covers things that you will do on any type of aircraft. Then you get your spacific type of aircraft and they send you to a second school to teach you about that particular aircraft. In the end you will have completed an A school and a C school. Hope this helps clear that up.

HomefrontHeroes
02-15-08, 02:42 PM
You didn't hijack the thread, I am grateful for the information. I get young Navy and Marines talking about A and C school and now I know what they are talking about.