PDA

View Full Version : Beaufort Marines Receive Quite a Valentine's Day Surprise

thedrifter
02-14-08, 07:25 PM
Beaufort Marines Receive Quite a Valentine's Day Surprise

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 06:13 PM

Updated: Feb 14, 2008 07:53 PM
The Beaufort Harbormasters

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - Marines with Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 533 are deploying to Japan for six months, but not without a special Valentine's Day gift from their loved ones.

A barbershop quartet known as the Beaufort Harbormasters took some time out of their busy schedule to spread Valentine's Day joy to these Marines.

A special Valentine's Day surprise, dedicated to the Marines, from their spouses.

"We all wanted it to be a surprise," said Marine wife Kathy Jean Farnam. "This is the last opportunity to let them know that we're going to miss them so much and it's Valentine's Day. A lot of them have been working at night and can't spend time so we wanted to give that to them."

"I thought it was very nice of them, I appreciate it," said Lance Cpl. Daniel Burcham.

"We work the Marines hard every single day as far as getting the airplanes up and getting things squared away, so it was nice to take a few minutes off for something they didn't expect," said the squadron's commanding officer, Lt. Col. John Farnam. "To get those guys out there to sing to them, I guarantee they won't forget that any time soon."

The barbershop quartet says it's an experience they won't forget either.

"It was more of an honor than a duty to this," said Harbormaster Daryl Poovey.

"It was wonderful, singing in the hanger with all the guys, looking at them, knowing they were feeling it inside," said Harbormaster Greg Flowers. "We all enjoyed it."

"It felt great singing in front of the Marines," said Poovey. "Being a former active-duty Marine, I love being with these guys. We got this opportunity to sing for 533 and we just jumped on it."

The Beaufort Harbormasters donate their talents each year to special Valentine's programs like this one.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

Ellie