PDA

View Full Version : Marine Movies

Artemis
02-14-08, 12:04 PM
What is your opinion on all the Marine Corps related movies that have come out in the past few years. Such as Jarhead and The Marine?

sparkie
02-14-08, 12:05 PM
New Marine movies???? Just plain sloppy.

Artemis
02-14-08, 12:14 PM
I personally think that they are horrible and are not a good representation of the Marine Corps what so ever.

yellowwing
02-14-08, 12:40 PM
How can you compete with Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. "Let me see your REAL Warface!"

SGT7477
02-14-08, 12:44 PM
What is your opinion on all the Marine Corps related movies that have come out in the past few years. Such as Jarhead and The Marine?
They weren't worth seeing I stand by yellowwing how can you compete with Full Metal Jacket,OOHRAH.:evilgrin:

FistFu68
02-14-08, 12:51 PM
:usmc: M I C K E Y-M O U S E-MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE :usmc:

yellowwing
02-14-08, 01:06 PM
:usmc: M I C K E Y-M O U S E-MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE :usmc:
Ohrah! Beat the **** out of the enemy and then sing to high Hevean about it! **** a bunch of Walter Cronkite.

maverickmarine
02-14-08, 01:11 PM
Yeah, those were piles of Chit!!!!

FistFu68
02-14-08, 03:34 PM
:usmc: WING MY MARINE BROTHER,SINCE YOU'VE GOT THAT MOVIE DOWN TOO A SCIENCE;WHAT WAS IT THE MARINES SAID WHEN THEY HAD THAT DEAD N.V.A.(GOOK)SITTING IN THAT CHAIR?I'VE GOT (CRS)-(LOL).WHEN I HEARD IT IN THE MOVIE ,I GOT GOOSE BUMP'S!!!S/F THAT :usmc:

Buckeye
02-14-08, 04:25 PM
I personally think that they are horrible and are not a good representation of the Marine Corps what so ever.I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE.......

Eric Hood
02-14-08, 05:07 PM
I watched "Jarhead" once. If someone put a rifle to my head, I might consider watching it again.
The best ones to watch,are the documentaries-"The Marines" and " Eyeballs Click, Ears Open". I would like to see "Fields of Fire" or "We Were One" or "Hard Core" made into movies.
Semper Fi,
Eric:flag:

SlingerDun
02-14-08, 05:19 PM
If Spielberg and Eastwood had swapped films, Flags of our Fathers would probably stand as a classic and folks would whisper, Saving Private Who? Once i looked past the dated jingoistic corn in Guadalcanal Diary (1943) it shined past the newer films. You couldn't force me to sit through Jarhead again unless somebody hollered free everything, beer, pizza, fishing boats, pickups

ggyoung
02-14-08, 06:11 PM
What Price Glory

FistFu68
02-14-08, 06:24 PM
:evilgrin: THE D.I-STARRING JACK WEBB :evilgrin:

RLeon
02-14-08, 06:28 PM
Jarhead: Got technical stuff and jargon right but who wants to watch the story of a whiny malcontent.

The Marine: GARBAGE. watched about 15 minutes of it and I had to change the channel before my IQ dropped.

Bonus
American Ninja: Not a Marine movie but the portrayal of the Marines is so bad I laugh, cry, and get irate when I see it.

One movie I have yet to see and I'm told it's one of the best Vietnam movies is "Siege of Firebase Gloria"

yellowwing
02-14-08, 06:37 PM
Fire Base Gloria! Great flick, put a Marine in charge and see what happens.

SSgtOfMarines
02-14-08, 06:54 PM
Jarhead was the best representation of a deployed Marine that I have ever seen.

gwladgarwr
02-14-08, 07:17 PM
How can you compete with Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. "Let me see your REAL Warface!"

I loved "Full Metal Jacket", but, Kubrick, the director, meant to make the film as an anti-war (if not anti-Marine) movie. Same with "Platoon".

Both were cool for "action" but the meaning was the same for both movies: "anti-military".

"The DI" remains the quintessential movie about the Marine Corps and depicts how the Marine Corps thinks. "The Great Santini" (The Ace) is a more "human" (1970's 'sensitive') version of the same concept.

"Major Payne" is a closer version of how the Marine Corps really thinks than "Full Metal Jacket" ever was ("Major Payne" depicts how civilians -whether kids or adults - are ever so unwilling nowadays to put their selfish interests aside for just a moment while sh** is hitting the fan...and it was a straight up comedy.)

Sgt gw:flag:

SlingerDun
02-14-08, 08:01 PM
I would like to see "Fields of Fire" or "We Were One" or "Hard Core" made into movies.
Semper Fi,
Eric:flag:I read an obscure article about this a few years ago and apparently James Webb was on location shooting 'Fields of Fire' somewhere in SE Asia but haven't heard anything since. I just emailed his webmaster looking for updated scoop.

--->Dave

USMC13
02-14-08, 08:50 PM
Personally, I think Full Metal Jacket and Heartbreak Ridge are the best Marine Corps movies out there. These new movies are cheap. Flag of our Fathers was also great.

RLeon
02-14-08, 10:57 PM
I loved "Full Metal Jacket", but, Kubrick, the director, meant to make the film as an anti-war (if not anti-Marine) movie. Same with "Platoon".

Both were cool for "action" but the meaning was the same for both movies: "anti-military".

You right. Both movies are loved by Marines and soldiers but most don't realize that they are anti-war movies. Well not really so much anti-war but very critical of the military and it's role.

Heck even in FMJ there's a line in the end of the boot camp part were the narrator refers to the recruits as "phoney brave."

Dave Coup
02-14-08, 11:04 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm surprised no one mentioned "Sands of Iwo Jima" or "Flying Leathernecks"
Just my opinion but "Heartbreak Ridge" was crap, and the only really good part of FMJ was the Boot Camp stuff except for the part with the dead gook in the chair.:D

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

RLeon
02-14-08, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone ever read the book that Full Metal Jacket is based on.
Short Timers by Gustav Hasford.

The book is divided into three sections, written in completely different styles.
The Spirit of the Bayonet: bootcamp, Body Count: time as a war correspondant, Grunts: time as a grunt.
The movie mixed the two last parts.

The book is out of print and can't be found anywhere, I'm hoping they reprint it but I doubt they will. Meawhile you can get a free download on Hasford's site.

SlingerDun
02-15-08, 12:16 AM
Yes i read Short Timers and recall the squad leader known as "Craze" lost it and cashed in not from a booby trapped stuffed animal but bouncing BB's from his Red Ryder air gun off the chests of attacking NVA which he kept slung over his shoulder as 'Back up' in the movie.

DWG
02-15-08, 04:21 AM
Until FMJ; a made for TV movie called Tribes, with Darren McGavin, was one of the best representations of USMCRD,SD. I had ever seen. Had the DIs down pretty good too.

maverickmarine
02-15-08, 05:45 AM
Fire Base Gloria is a great movie and you should see it if you haven't. Yeah, it's odd that both Full Metal Jacket and Platoon were meant as anti-war but those are two of our favorites. Heartbreak Ridge was pretty freakin' cheesy and damn sure doesn't represent a Recon unit. I would love to see an outstanding remake of Full Metal Jacket or I guess a completely new version that was meant to show that hardcorps side but then in the end put us in a good light. That would be outstanding but I won't hold my breath. I am lookin forward to The Pacific in 2009 though. That should be squared away if they do half the job they did with Band of Brothers.

Phantom Blooper
02-15-08, 06:00 AM
Tribes, with Darren McGavin

Forgot about this one....very good! :evilgrin:

DWG
02-15-08, 06:35 AM
You right. Both movies are loved by Marines and soldiers but most don't realize that they are anti-war movies. Well not really so much anti-war but very critical of the military and it's role.

Heck even in FMJ there's a line in the end of the boot camp part were the narrator refers to the recruits as "phoney brave."

The quote was "the phoney tough and the crazy brave". I loved that line! Often Marines see anti-war movies as inspiration (hey, we are crazy, after all, we mostly, volunteered for this crap). Some non server tries to insult a Marine, it's usually taken in a way that was not intended. "Under paid, over sexed, teenage killers (Bess Truman?). the bulk of the Corps replied, "Hey, that sounds cool, that's us!". Killing machines, "yeah;so what's your point?". The reputation of the Marines as "the meanest of the mean" does nothing to tarnish our Honor and a lot to dis-hearten our enemies. The Japanese were convinced the Marines would ravish the islands, they were terrified of the Marine Corps. In war, that ain't necessarily a bad thing! Let the left wing hollywierdos keep "insulting" the Marines; we can take it, especially if they have some great pyrotechnic scenes thrown in!:thumbup:

Eric Hood
02-15-08, 08:26 AM
Eastwood used to make good movies as an actor. I only watched "Flags" once. It was too touchy,feely. The book was 1000 times better. The DI with Jack Webb was well done.
Semper Fi,
Eric:flag:

sgtrock1970
02-15-08, 08:48 AM
Ther was a movie that came out in the seventies called the " Boys of Company C'' about the Marines in Nam. Can't remember alot about it but hell I can't remember alot about yesterday. Maybe I'll Google it.

sgtrock1970
02-15-08, 08:57 AM
Damn , just googled it. it came out in 1978. Ole R. Lee was a D.I. in it. Read the story line. Maybe it wasn't good as I remembered it. But like I said before, can't remember alot about yesterday.

maverickmarine
02-15-08, 10:13 AM
Yeah, The Boys Of Company C really wasn't that good. I was looking forward to it because R. Lee was in it but didn't end up liking it. Still, you might as well check it out.

ggyoung
02-15-08, 04:42 PM
The boys in Company C was about a company of Marines guarding a army truck with a cover over the load. As it turned out it was Trailer house with air conditioning. The boys got ****ed about that. I believe there was something about a soccer game they were told to lose but you and I know that Marines never play to lose. They won the game and the VC start shooting people. I think. To much booze after Vietnam has my brain a little mixed up.

cball
02-15-08, 05:57 PM
How about" Battle Cry" with Tab Hunter and Aldo Ray?

jetdoc
02-15-08, 08:27 PM
FMJ, Flying Leathernecks, Here come the Marines, Tell it to the Marines, The siege of Firebase Gloria, Battle Cry and I am with you Jack on this one, The DI.

jrhd97
02-16-08, 10:25 PM
FMJ, Flying Leathernecks, Here come the Marines, Tell it to the Marines, The siege of Firebase Gloria, Battle Cry and I am with you Jack on this one, The DI.
All were good.
Sands of Iwo Jima with the Duke. Can't go wrong with the Duke. Heart Break Ridge was OK, there was some good lines.
Never watched Jarhead. Read the book and came to the quick conclusion the guy was a sh@t bird trying to get a crazy 8 because he had sand in his cl#t. After the book I decided there was no way I would watch the movie.
Marine was a waste of my money. Should of gave that $3 to my kid instead of blocbuster.
Realy liked Oliver Norths War Stories in the Pacific.

Eric Hood
02-17-08, 09:01 AM
I bought the "Sands of Iwo Jima " last year. I came to the conclusion that it's better than "Flags". The Duke is the Duke. I would'nt give Swafford the time of the day. :usmc:
Eric

Palm
02-17-08, 08:50 PM
Tribes was good, but I have only seen it once back in the 70's. To bad it is not on DVD.

249gunner
02-17-08, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlyDdaud50

Palm
02-17-08, 10:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlyDdaud50

From the Wind and the Lion. It is a good movie.

jawhed
02-18-08, 06:41 AM
fullmetal jacket and the one that really hits home is BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY

RLeon
02-18-08, 01:52 PM
There is a movie called Stateside that came out in 2004 about a early 80's era Marine that falls for a crazy chick. Val Kilmer plays a DI. Not a war movie though, more of a chick flick.

The part that sticks in my mind is the Marine's uniform. He wore a green wool trench coat, kind of like the all weather coat. All I kept thinking of how cool it looked and why we were never issued one. Looks so much better than our Inspecter Gadget attire.

DWG
02-18-08, 02:22 PM
There is a movie called Stateside that came out in 2004 about a early 80's era Marine that falls for a crazy chick. Val Kilmer plays a DI. Not a war movie though, more of a chick flick.

The part that sticks in my mind is the Marine's uniform. He wore a green wool trench coat, kind of like the all weather coat. All I kept thinking of how cool it looked and why we were never issued one. Looks so much better than our Inspecter Gadget attire.

We were issued the wool trenchcoats in the 60s. They were nice! Used mine in civilian life when I drove my TR-3 or rusted out VW in the winter!