PDA

View Full Version : Time to honor Iwo Jima veterans

thedrifter
02-14-08, 08:56 AM
Time to honor Iwo Jima veterans

February 14, 2008

Beginning in February of 1945, 63 years ago, one of the most costly battles of the Pacific campaign of World War II was fought. In February and March, about 6,000 Marines lost their lives capturing the Island of Iwo Jima from the Japanese.

In honor of our veterans, The Herald News would like to dedicate February to those veterans who fell or risked their lives in this battle and would like to designate February as a month to remember those who served there. In honor of them, each year I would like to feature a veteran who served during this battle.

This year, we honor one of Lockport's brave, U.S. Marine Pfc. Melvin A. Boe, who was 26 at the time when he was killed in action Feb. 24, 1945, on Iwo Jima. He was reportedly the first Will County man killed in that battle.

During the war, his mother received a letter from Melvin that read: "Here I sit on a sand ledge of my fox-hole writing on an ammunition box. As I turn completely around, I can see the American flag hoisted high on the volcano, which was captured after much struggle. Iwo Jima is a rough place and only God can know why, but He has been good to us as a nation in that we had air and naval superiority. Sit tight and if you have prayed as I have, will have more to talk about later. Love and God bless you, Melvin."
Enlistment to furlough
Melvin enlisted into the Marines on Sept. 10, 1942, and went to boot camp in San Diego, Calif., where he was awarded a sharpshooter medal. He later graduated from the parachute training center at Camp Gillespie, San Diego, Calif., on Dec. 12, 1942. Upon graduating, he was officially named a youth member of the Paramarines. (The Marine paratroopers were part of a specialized unit in operation from 1940 to 1944.)

After being stationed on Solomon Island, Boe was wounded in action in November 1943.

He was furloughed in February 1944 and spent 30 days in the states with his family.
Ties to Will County
Melvin was born Jan. 20, 1919, and was a graduate of the Lockport Township High School. He was employed by the Frankfort Sailplane Company before joining the Marines.

Melvin's brother, Carl E. Boe (deceased), served in the U.S. Navy as a seaman first class.

Melvin's parents are Carl E. and Louise C. Boe. Melvin and his parents are buried at St. Matthew's Cemetery in Lemont.

Melvin is survived by a distant cousin, Marlene (Boe) Story of Bolingbrook.

Ellie