PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts

Nos6074
02-13-08, 08:01 PM
I have a cousin that decided to join the Marines. Needless to say I was quite happy and dare I say proud. However She has decided that she no longer wishes to become one of us. She has gone to MEPS and done the physical, she has also signed the standard paperwork at MEPS. At the moment she has not shipped and is considering refusing. Can anyone tell me what if any conciquences will befall this young girl if she refuses to go to MCRD.

:flag:

sparkie
02-13-08, 08:03 PM
Has she taken the oath?

Nos6074
02-13-08, 08:06 PM
Yes she has taken the oath.

Phantom Blooper
02-13-08, 08:09 PM
I believe if you do a search in the Poolee Forum you will find that the consequences are waiting a year to get back in if you withdraw. This is a topic that some poolees brought up in the past and I believe as Sgt Sparkie said until the final oath at MEPS that is the result.:evilgrin:

Nos6074
02-13-08, 08:24 PM
That was quite helpful thank you. As I am new to this site I was not aware of the Poollee forum. I am doing everyting I can to convince her that she needs to become a Marine.

Hail to the glorious few !!!! :beer:

Phantom Blooper
02-13-08, 08:33 PM
If you can get her on board there is allot of helpful information in that forum and the Ask A Marine. There is a good bit of information to help motivate the younger generation and they for the most part do a good job of motivating each other! Interesting reads is also the Todays Moto thread. Good luck to you and her!:evilgrin:

PatriotGirl422
02-13-08, 08:34 PM
Legally nothing bad can happen to someone who backs out of a contract. Recruiters will tell you that you'll go to jail or get a Dishonorable Discharge, but it's just not true. You're not locked in...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-08, 08:59 AM
Correct on all counts. It happens more often than people think.

"Cold feet".

If she does it, she'll regret it the rest of her life.

It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
- Italian proverb

Sam Witwicky (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0479471/): [to Mikaela when she doesn't want to get back in Bumblebee] Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?

DWG
02-14-08, 10:12 AM
Still, it's better to decide the day before you ship than the day after! (How many of us had serious doubts about 20 miles out of PI or SD) If she doesn't want to be there, they probably don't want her there either!

yellowwing
02-14-08, 11:18 AM
At the time I had serious doubts about 12 seconds after the Series Commander turned us over to our Drill Instructors.

"WTF have I got myself into now?"

But now 6 years of serving Our Beloved Corps is just a fleeting moment. What She gave me has served the best of everything I hold dear these days.

Semper Fi

Nos6074
02-14-08, 12:19 PM
Everyone has doubts at one time or another. However the one who lets their fear rule them will be the first to fail. I just hope she will come to her senses.

SGT7477
02-14-08, 12:40 PM
Everyone has doubts at one time or another. However the one who lets their fear rule them will be the first to fail. I just hope she will come to her senses.
I sure hope she does too, Semper FI.:flag:

1776dad
02-14-08, 01:41 PM
My 18 year old son walked out of MEPS in the summer of 2006. Seems he had a phone call the night before while in his hotel room at MEPS. His older brother "worked him over" and talked him out of it. His mother (we are divorced) promised him a car if he would not join the Marines. Two days later my son asked me what I thought about his decision. It had taken all my self discipline to say nothing up until that point but he opened the door by asking. I told him his older brother did not have his sense of commitment and service to his country and I told him his older brother just might be jealous of his decision (In my son's case I believe to this day I was correct about the jealousy issue with his older brother). I admitted to my then 18 year old son that his decision had made me cry. That I had been terribly proud of his decision to join the Marines. And then I left the room as calmly as I could before I said too much. Two days later (without telling me) my son walked back into his Recruiters office and asked to be given the opportunity to return to MEPS. I am surprised that they did not draw and quarter him on the spot. They made him sweat a few weeks while his request went through channels. My son may have gotten some extra consideration (we have been a Marine Family and I had called the Recruiter and apologized for my son's behavior the day he left MEPS). In the case of my son he was able to return to MEPS two weeks later. This was 19 months ago. In a recent phone call with me my son (who is currently in Iraq) said... "All things considered Dad, I am pretty satisfied with my life. I now know I have a purpose, that I can accomplish things on my own and that I made the right choice to become a Marine. I have many other things that I want to do with my life. College. My own family. Dreams of happy times and dreams of making some things in this world better. If I can do this... I really believe that I can do anything."
I guess I am just trying to add some encouragement. Sometimes they do come around. She is likely to have just as much doubt about NOT becoming a Marine (and maybe more). My son should be home on leave in 6 to 8 weeks... I would be happy to arrange for him to talk with her. He might understand her situation very well... he will be able to relate better than most.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-08, 02:33 PM
I think THAT sums it up rather nicely.

cpl liz
02-21-08, 02:03 PM
I suspect we all had "cold feet", though I remember it as sweat pouring off me & nausea on the bus ride over the causeway to PI, and it wasn't from the heat. Hope she goes through with it. If it wasn't for what I learned in the Corps, I'd be lost now.

mcvet57103
03-02-08, 01:53 PM
I suspect we all had "cold feet", though I remember it as sweat pouring off me & nausea on the bus ride over the causeway to PI, and it wasn't from the heat. Hope she goes through with it. If it wasn't for what I learned in the Corps, I'd be lost now.

I thought it was a great adventure till the recieving Drill Instructer stepped on the bus and screamed "GET OFF MY F***ING BUS NOW! MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!". That's the instant I realized I wasn't in Kansas anymore. LOL

But, I wouldn't be the person I am today if I had backed out. Probably would have ended up like my two brothers with a prison record. I was on probation when I joined, and the recruiter hid my record. When I didn't show up for the probation officer they sent the Sheriff to arrest me at home. My Mother told him I was at MCRD San Diego if he wanted me. The Sheriff said "Well they'll straighten him out better than we ever could" and the state dropped their arrest warrant. When I got home from boot the Sheriff shook my hand.

Taco Bell
03-03-08, 09:08 AM
someone else said it better already, we all have the fear of the unknown and second thoughts. I remember thinking "What have I done?" "Maybe I should say that I lied and I have asthma." Have her watch "the making of a Marine" she can buy it on dvd for $25 bucks. It takes away all the mystery of boot camp etc. She also needs to read all these post! I bet anyone on here would write her in a heartbeat to answer questions and give her support.
Semper Fi,
Taco

Sgt Leprechaun
04-04-08, 12:35 PM
I sense a disgruntled individual here who has some 'issues'.

Try again, sports fans.

Conceeding the point, sure, 'nothing' may happen, except a loss of self respect, a longing desire to 'try again', and the thoughts of what 'might have been'.

Or, you could turn into a bitter and disgruntled wannabe whose second post on this site contains some hints of what you could become, with work that is.

I predict a visit from a black helicopter after smoke has been popped, and 'screwedover' will last no longer here than he/she did in the Marine Corps.

Likely less time.

mcvet57103
04-05-08, 09:17 AM
Once you have recited the oath, you are in my opinion morally, and ethically committed to the Marine Corps. If you wimp out and quit now you will be forever branded a coward by those of us who followed through on their oath. Do you want to spend the rest of your life knowing in your heart you are a coward? This is just my opinion mind you, but I stand behind my convictions and never promise, or say anything I do not mean.

hrscowboy
04-05-08, 11:20 AM
It used to be once you recited the oath you where in no matter what, and if she recited the oath then in my book shes a recruit.. I say give her orders to report to MCRD PI or SD and if she dont show shes AWOL , and put her young arse in CC and make her do her time for 8 years. Thats the problem with our Military today you have a UCMJ and they dont follow it too the letter. She signed a legal contract and she should be made to stand by it..

mcvet57103
04-05-08, 11:26 AM
Exactly! Even the military has become to Politically Correct. You recite the oath there should be no turning back. Ship her off to Boot and if she refuses to do her duty, then CCP for her for no less...

SGT7477
04-05-08, 12:06 PM
If she refuses send her to jail no boot camp we don't need any nonhackers.

hrscowboy
04-05-08, 07:01 PM
I remember back in 1969 I watched this young recruite jump on 2 Drill Instructors and he gave these 2 Drill Instructors a severe tongue lashing when all of sudden this 3rd Drill Instructor walked up, asked him if he was done in which he replied he was and all 3 drill instructors jumped on him and kicked the Mustard out of his arse. while this recruite was gettin his arse whipped all he could say was you Northern boys aint schlitz after the DIs inflicted so much pain on this young man and was lying on the deck bleeding 1 of the Drill Instructors walked up and said by the way you Fifin Maggot where all from alabama.. gawd i will never forget that..

CHOPPER7199
04-06-08, 09:41 AM
Only Second Thoughts I Had Was The Meal In Front Of Me. It Looked Like Some One Barfed All Over The Plate. Hhm, My First Encounter With S.o.s. My 1st Meal In The Corps.

mcvet57103
04-06-08, 09:46 AM
Only Second Thoughts I Had Was The Meal In Front Of Me. It Looked Like Some One Barfed All Over The Plate. Hhm, My First Encounter With S.o.s. My 1st Meal In The Corps.

Awwwww Yes! SOS Does it ever go out of style? In Fact I still have it once in a while for old times sake.

Quinbo
04-06-08, 10:08 AM
If I had to choose to pick between chipped beef on toast or SOS on a split biscuit I'm not sure if I could decide. Both are still great tasting to me.

Becoming a Marine is a life long challenge but tell her when she's done with boot she'll just be reporting to a 9-5 with bennies ;) Just kidding. As can be seen on numerous posts on this forum and others like it Marines stand together. In other words Marines stand together to help lads and lasses get in the Marines and join a part of the worlds finest. Be warned though that whimp out and go crying home to mama then there is no sypmpathy. I think I read a quote somewhere. "The Marines have done more by 6 am than you will do all day".

SGT7477
04-06-08, 10:21 AM
SOS the breakfast of champions,lol.

jahhead88
04-06-08, 10:43 AM
I agree with hrscowboy. She signed the contract. She needs to stand up and live up to her end of the deal.

mcvet57103
04-06-08, 10:52 AM
I agree with hrscowboy. She signed the contract. She needs to stand up and live up to her end of the deal.

Trouble is there are to many CLODS (Clinton-style Obstructionist Democrats) in Washington who would throw a hissy if the Corps lowered her precious self-esteem by Court Mashalling her sorry a**.

crate78
04-26-08, 11:24 PM
I read somewhere once that, statistically, per mess hall (NOT per man) Staff NCO messes served more SOS than troops' messes.

That would seem to indicate you need to acquire a taste for SOS.

Biscuits and gravy are on most breakfast menus around here. Basically, it's SOS with biscuits instead of toast. Someday I'm going to order it on toast instead of biscuits for old times sake.

My wife made a batch a number of years ago. A buddy of mine (ex Army) and I scarfed most of it. Everyone else said it looked yucky. Which would reinforce my first statement.

Oh, well. It's bedtime.

crate

AAV Crewchief
04-27-08, 07:42 PM
That was quite helpful thank you. As I am new to this site I was not aware of the Poollee forum. I am doing everyting I can to convince her that she needs to become a Marine.

Hail to the glorious few !!!! :beer:

NO, don't try and convince her of anything. If she doesn't want to join then let her be. The Corps only wants people that WANT to be a MARINE. You'll save her a lot of grief and despair by leaving her alone and letting her join in her time, not yours.

As long as she has NOT taken the second oath at MEPS, she is OK to refuse to go. It'll **** off the recruiters, but oh well.

ecfree
04-27-08, 08:11 PM
What she's gota do is,crap or get off the pot.
Hey aav crewchief,I thought 3rd Force Recon was in Camp Shwab.What were they doin in Mobile,Al?:!: