PDA

View Full Version : Which Movie?

aust10n
02-13-08, 06:17 PM
Which of the two is better. Boys from Company C or The D.I.?

I purchased Boys from Company C on DVD but I'm having trouble finding The D.I. Only thing I've seen of that movie was a short clip on youtube.

davblay
02-13-08, 06:19 PM
The Boys from Company C, by far! The DI was made in the 50s! ;)

Dave

aust10n
02-13-08, 06:22 PM
Awesome. I was able to find a limited print of Boys from Company C on DVD. I hope the quality is decent.
The clips I have seen have seemed to be pretty good.

SlingerDun
02-13-08, 06:37 PM
Jack Webb is like listening to the monotone life insurance/amway/timeshare salesrep/p.e.coach/dean of boys/stale old uncle with his black and white vacation slide show of Yosemite and the Knotts Berry Farm rolled onto 106 minutes of 'The D.I."

aust10n
02-13-08, 06:42 PM
Jack Webb is like listening to the monotone life insurance/amway/timeshare salesrep/p.e.coach/dean of boys/stale old uncle with his black and white vacation slide show of Yosemite and the Knotts Berry Farm rolled onto 106 minutes of 'The D.I."

So I shouldn't worry about finding this movie.

SlingerDun
02-13-08, 06:45 PM
naw hell no you go ahead and watch it, check out "Tribes" while your at it and baby blue Marine

aust10n
02-13-08, 06:47 PM
naw hell no you go ahead and watch it, check out "Tribes" while your at it and baby blue Marine

Tribes looks pretty good. I want to watch The D.I. I just can't find it.

rvillac2
02-13-08, 07:01 PM
DI is corny.

Boys in Company C is awesome.

"Washington!!! Washington!!!"

Brandon1
02-13-08, 07:08 PM
I have seen neither. Now it is my current mission to buy both of them right now.

Brandon1
02-13-08, 07:12 PM
Oh snap! I have seen "The D.I.". When I was in the 9th grade I was in NJROTC, and SGTMAJ Hernandez let us watch it. Badass movie i'd watch it again if I could find it.

Big Jim
02-13-08, 07:13 PM
Which of the two is better. Boys from Company C or The D.I.?

I purchased Boys from Company C on DVD but I'm having trouble finding The D.I. Only thing I've seen of that movie was a short clip on youtube.

Boys in Company "C" is the better one of the two!! I remember watching the DI while on boot camp the only time we watched a movie...but if you watch the Boys in Comany "C", you'll see a very yound R. Lee Ermey as one of the Drill Instructors. Good frikin movie...you'll like it!!

Motto Poolee
02-13-08, 07:34 PM
Watch the real boys from company C in the movie "Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click."

sparkie
02-13-08, 07:47 PM
I'll stick with Full Metal Jacket,,,about twice a year.

Motto Poolee
02-13-08, 07:49 PM
I'll stick with Full Metal Jacket,,,about twice a year.

Im about to watch it in a few minutes! :evilgrin:

Brandon1
02-13-08, 08:04 PM
I'll watch Full Metal Jacket whenever it's on whitch isnt much. I wont go looking for it though lol.

LeonardLawrence
02-13-08, 11:22 PM
Go to Amazon, Type in "THE DI" you will find 11 new and used from $30.00

Brandon1
02-14-08, 11:59 AM
I dont have a VCR anymore lol. I gotta go buy one now. Do they sell them anymore :)?

LeonardLawrence
02-14-08, 04:48 PM
They are CDs.....:beer:

SlingerDun
02-14-08, 05:03 PM
send 30 dollars to that poolee in Crescent City who "cant' find a job and is running in jesus sandalshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

Brandon1
02-14-08, 05:23 PM
It looked like they said VHS...I'm gonna go check again lol.

LeonardLawrence
02-14-08, 05:25 PM
It looked like they said VHS...I'm gonna go check again lol.

My apologies Brandon1, I should have checked before I posted.

I double checked, they only have VHS at this time. Check back later. I got my DVD there.

Also, if you want the VHS, you can get it for under $20 at half.com

Good luck.

Brandon1
02-14-08, 05:31 PM
I'm gonna have to go check it out. Thank you much :)

rsta
02-14-08, 05:52 PM
"The DI" has been around since either the late 50's or early 60's. Actual Marines were used in the movie and I believe Jack Webb afterwards presented each with a watch engraved, "From the DI". It was a good movie back then, course, we weren't used to much.

Brandon1
02-14-08, 06:38 PM
I cant remember when SGTMAJ said it was made...I wanna say 57 or 56

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 12:12 AM
1957, and it is still good stuff today!

Jbthomp
02-18-08, 05:22 PM
I rented Jarhead and Heartbreak Ridge this weekend. Both movies were pretty good, even if Heartbreak Ridge did have alot of really bad parts. When I say bad I mean 'there's no way this could ever be true' aspects concerning the Corps.

But I mean, hey, they were both entertaining. That's all that matters in the end, right?

sparkie
02-18-08, 05:35 PM
For entertainment,,,, gimmie John Wayne. If In the Navy, Sea Bees, or whatever, He's a Marine to me.

aust10n
02-27-08, 10:54 PM
I found The DI on DVD.
http://www.animefirst.com/di-the-1957-jack-webb.html?OVRAW=Jack%20Webb&OVKEY=jack%20webb&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=16691008522&OVKWID=102543986522

I just don't know how trustworthy that site is.

I have Ears Open. Eyeballs Click. I don't like it. I think it was a waste of money.

I also have the documentary about Lime Company, that I do like.

Lupisella
02-27-08, 11:04 PM
You don't like Ears, open. Eyeballs, click? I just saw the trailor and it looks pretty good, i've been looking around to buy it. No place has it, I take it you have to order it online?

aust10n
02-27-08, 11:11 PM
I ordered it from the creator. http://www.canaanbrumley.com/

The music they played in it was really depressing at times. The camera man seemed to have gotten bored a few times while taping. I.E He is recorded a motivational run and gets side tracked by a flock of birds and records them.

They also spent about 30min showing the recruits clean their barracks, with that depressing beat. I know they were trying to show more of the behind the scenes but it just didnt work, in my opinion.

The swims quals on this film were horrible. They show a guy get baptized (no big deal), then showed a kid panic and "almost drown". They showed NO succesful swim qual. Afterwards they showed his DI make fun of him and push him out of attention.

I think this film was made as an anti recruiting tool personally.

Cruicible.
They show the a hike and the pitching of some tents. They show a kid fall and get injured. And they show a recruit who claimed he was dehydrated, and his DI yell at him that if he doesn't get out of his sight He will murder him. I know we hear this stuff at MCRD, but the fact that this film showed all the "negatives" further proved to me that it was an anti recruiting tool.

The graduation they only spend literally about 45seconds. And the angle showed mostly their legs. I think they showed 1 guy get his EGA, that is it.

*I kept editing this as I remembered stuff so it may seem out of order.*

Lupisella
02-28-08, 09:29 PM
Interesting, thanks for the heads up! I still think I might order it though.

aust10n
02-29-08, 11:58 AM
no problem man

yellowwing
02-29-08, 01:41 PM
I ordered it from the creator. http://www.canaanbrumley.com/

The music they played in it was really depressing at times. The camera man seemed to have gotten bored a few times while taping. I.E He is recorded a motivational run and gets side tracked by a flock of birds and records them.

They also spent about 30min showing the recruits clean their barracks, with that depressing beat. I know they were trying to show more of the behind the scenes but it just didnt work, in my opinion.

The swims quals on this film were horrible. They show a guy get baptized (no big deal), then showed a kid panic and "almost drown". They showed NO succesful swim qual. Afterwards they showed his DI make fun of him and push him out of attention.

I think this film was made as an anti recruiting tool personally.

Cruicible.
They show the a hike and the pitching of some tents. They show a kid fall and get injured. And they show a recruit who claimed he was dehydrated, and his DI yell at him that if he doesn't get out of his sight He will murder him. I know we hear this stuff at MCRD, but the fact that this film showed all the "negatives" further proved to me that it was an anti recruiting tool.

The graduation they only spend literally about 45seconds. And the angle showed mostly their legs. I think they showed 1 guy get his EGA, that is it.

*I kept editing this as I remembered stuff so it may seem out of order.*
Wow, were you pounding those energy drinks? :D

aust10n
02-29-08, 09:20 PM
Wow, were you pounding those energy drinks? :D Haha I wish that was my excuse. I was just dead tired after MEPS.