PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to do it

ST4SH
02-13-08, 08:49 AM
Alright, I am giving myself three months to lose thirty pounds and gain as much muscle as possible in that time period. I ran a mile this morning for the first time in three years today, and am quite proud of myself. I was wondering if you Marines had any tips to help me get through these three months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Motto Poolee
02-13-08, 10:36 AM
Change your diet, Do a lot of cardio for the first month, month and a half, that will make you lose some of that weight. Run every other day, a mile for the first week, then gradually build up...I built up to 5 miles. Then do jusy lifting, I reccomend pullups, crunches, pushups, on top of the lifting to. I wasnt really fat, but I did just that and pretty much had it down in 1 month, you being a little worse off should be good in 3 months no doubt! Good luck.

Brandon1
02-13-08, 10:38 AM
Cardio. Muscle will come in time. Just run and eat healthy. I just run. I dont do distances, I just run around town for about a half hour until I have to get ready for class. I lifted when I was in high school, I was on the powerlifting team. So I have muscle, pushups keep that muscle around :)

karstenchu
02-13-08, 12:03 PM
Browse around bodybuilding.com for some of their BMR calculators. When you find out your maintenance calories for the day, limit yourself to 500 calories less than maint. each day. Do this for a few weeks til you get used to it and then cut down to maintenance - 1000 calories. You'll be able to lose about 2lbs per week safely. If you keep up your protein at 1g/1lb body weight, you won't lose much muscle. But cutting and gaining muscle do not go well together. If you try and do both at the same time, you'll only do poorly at both. Pick one. Pick cutting.

To cut, you're going to want to do as much cardio as your body can handle. A good plan will be to do cardio twice per week for 30 minutes at a time. This includes your 5 minute warmup and cooldown, mind you. Check out the Couch to 5k program for details. If you google it, you'll find it. Two important things : get fitted running shoes (the price will commit you to running) and take it slow at first. There is no point in getting shin splints or a stress fracture. That'll end your trip real quick ;) Think of the quote in my signature everytime you want to push it too hard.

As for lifting, you're best off with exercises that give you the most bang for your buck ala compound lifts. So you're going to learn to love Clean n' Press, Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Assisted/Unassisted Pullups and the like. Those will be your bread and butter as they will work the most muscles and thus burn the most calories. My advice on a split will be two lifting days at first. Do a push day and a pull day. So all your presses on one day and your deadlifts, pullups and rows on the other.

Lemme know if you want any more advice.

dsacasa
02-13-08, 04:39 PM
Go to the bottom of this page:
http://www.wpamarineofficer.com/downloads.html

sparkie
02-13-08, 04:44 PM
I recommend lotsa fightin and beer,,,,,,,,, But thats just me. Sheet, boy. want advice? Get it done,,,OOOORAH.

contessojohn
02-13-08, 05:01 PM
Well ST4SH, I'm kinda doing the same things as you but with some more weight to lose and a longer time. My new job didn't really help me in the fitness section of my life(gaining over 30 pounds onto my already heavy 240lb frame). I've been doing a lot of Research and found to lose weight with some moderate muscle gain you need to lift(3-4 days a week), cardio(4-5 days a week) and get your Protein. When you diet and just do cardio your body burns fat but also muscle, so as long as you have enough protein added to your diet you'll keep your stregth and add some more. Don't forget to eat 5-6 small meals a day, with less carbs and like I said more Protein. Like somebody else said go to Bodybuilding.com and find out what's good carbs and what's good protein.Mainly find a Diet that's best for you and change it up ever few weeks so that you keep losing weight, and keeps you on the path to earning the title!

Brandon1
02-14-08, 12:37 PM
This is what I did when I weighed 290lbs. I started with a high protein diet for the first 2 months. I ran everyday, worked out everyday. I never took one day off, after the first 2 months I weighed 250. I doubt I did everything the healthy way, but oh well sh*t happens. Now about 3 months later i'm 220. Up to a point the high protein diet will work, but if you find yourself at a stand still then switch it up. So in 5 months I lost 70lbs give or take a few. So if I did that much you can do 30 in 3.

Note: I'm still losing the weight :)

SGT7477
02-14-08, 01:15 PM
Alright, I am giving myself three months to lose thirty pounds and gain as much muscle as possible in that time period. I ran a mile this morning for the first time in three years today, and am quite proud of myself. I was wondering if you Marines had any tips to help me get through these three months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hit the gym and run everyday even if you have to do it in 2 runs a day.:evilgrin:

skaterjon89
02-15-08, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't recommend running everyday, if your a heavy guy, will begin to kill your knees, I'd say run and walk, and learn the proper way to run also, not none of that stomp flat footed on the ground ****, you will **** up your kneese and shins faster then anything. And do duck walks if you feel like shin splints are coming on, or just do them after each run/walk...

Pezzle
02-15-08, 08:28 PM
In fact, the reason why I do not yet run is because I am quite overweight and want to preserve my knees. It's okay to start by walking around 3-3.5 mph, you'll still do well.