PDA

View Full Version : Marines to help Scout raise Capitol flag

thedrifter
02-13-08, 05:56 AM
Marines to help Scout raise Capitol flag
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:49 PM PST

JOSHUA TREE — Future Eagle Scout Joe Dilling will help raise a flag that flew over the United States Capitol atop a new flagpole at Hi-Desert Cultural Center during Presidents Day activities Monday.

Topped by a brass eagle, the new flagpole was installed as part of the 18-year-old Dilling’s community service project to obtain the Boy Scouts of America Eagle award.

The inaugural flag-raising will be a multi-cultural event with live music from the Marine Corps band, a color guard, visits from the Veterans of Foreign Wars and state officials, a Dixieland band and refreshments.

“From the beginning, I had no idea the project would be so involved,” said Dilling, referring to the hurdles he had to jump, from commercial ordinances to county permits to installation requirements.

“But I also had no idea that the ceremony to raise the flag on Presidents Day would attract so much attention and turn into such an event. I’m proud to say we will be raising a flag over the cultural center that was actually flown over the United States Capitol Building.”

The 9 a.m. flag ceremony will be opened by Pastor Jerel Hagerman and conducted by Boy Scout and Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center color guards. The ceremony will be enhanced by musicians from the Marine Corps band and representatives from Assemblyman Paul Cook’s office.

A reception afterward will include an Eagle Scout Pinning Ceremony, live music from members of the Dixieland jazz band once featured at Disneyland and free refreshments.

Craig Knudsen, who is vice president of the Hi-Desert Cultural Center and also an Eagle Scout, said, “We are all very proud of Joe. In addition to running lights and sound at all of our Blak Box Theatre productions in the Palmer Performance Hall, we are so pleased that he selected our theater to be the recipient of such a beautiful and massive flagpole.”

Hal Lowry, of the Yucca Valley VFW post, has offered to provide new flags to the Cultural Center as needed well into the future.

Ellie