PDA

View Full Version : Quitting the Copenhagen

Rowe907
02-12-08, 10:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has some tips on helping to quit chewing. I leave for boot camp at the end of May, and Ive tried to quit dipping several times. Ive tried the Nicorette gum, and it helps, but tastes like a mouthfull of gravel...... Does anybody have any helpfull tips???

RYDERKUR
02-12-08, 10:18 PM
Good question, funny thing, I'm sitting here with a big chaw of Cope Long Cut as I type. I tried to quit before I left too, and quite frankly, I wouldn't bother. If you want to quit, boot camp will do it for you. I actually didn't lose my urge for the three months, but I should have stayed tobacco free after boot camp.

Bullrider
02-12-08, 11:21 PM
Just wondering if anyone has some tips on helping to quit chewing. I leave for boot camp at the end of May, and Ive tried to quit dipping several times. Ive tried the Nicorette gum, and it helps, but tastes like a mouthfull of gravel...... Does anybody have any helpfull tips???

I used this when I tried to quit, it worked but I was a sissy and starting doing it again.

http://www.bluewhalesmokeless.com/

Wyoming
02-13-08, 12:09 AM

Easy -

You get in your truck.
You take a dip.
You open a Coke.
Set in it your console.
Your spit cup?
Coke bottle right next to it.
Drive on.
Sip of Coke.
Chaw.
All is well.
Gotta spit.
Spit in the spit bottle.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Take a BIG chug of Coke.
Ooops!!
Just chugged some spit!!!
A whole bunch of spit!!!You just quit, AFTER, you hit the tree, AFTER the airbags deployed, AFTER, you chunked all over yourself, AFTER, ONSTAR called and checked on you.

TRUST ME, you just quit!!!

skaterjon89
02-13-08, 12:24 AM
LOL the first time I tried dip was an overnight shift with like 4 people like 2 months ago... I ate Carls Jr. Western Bacon cheeseburger, criscut frieds, and a lemonade right before, I was on the ****ter and throwing up for a good hour of work, NEVER dipping again lol, made me sick as hell...

Brandon1
02-13-08, 07:02 AM
I never got into chew but my uncle did. He chewed for about 17 years I think. He's 31 or 32 now, cant relly remember. But when he stopped I was shocked and I asked how he did it so quickly, he said "I just stopped". He quit cold turkey, and he hasnt done it for about 2 or 3 years. Since he lives in Washington and I live in Arizona and I havent seen him for about 5 years, I dont know if he is still off it but i'm pretty sure he is. So I would suggest cold turkey lol. Easier said than done I know :)

vision836
02-13-08, 07:15 AM
I believe it's all in your head. You need the mental power to over come I chewed the cope for 12 years and my gums got so bad I could only keep a dip in for a few seconds. Been ten years now and one mouth surgery and alot of teeth cleanings to feel good again. Smokeless tobacco just isn't worth all theproblems it gives you.

Brandon1
02-13-08, 07:28 AM
This should be motto enough to quit. This guy came to my school when I was in the 8th grade. He's a pretty cool dude...Lots of helpful info.
http://www.rdoc.org.uk/chewing_tobacco_risk.html

Finger
02-13-08, 09:41 AM
I went cold turkey after 30 years plus of a lip full of Cope. It wasn't easy and it sucked, but after awhile you have it beat. Actully, being at Recruit Training should do it. You will be busy and have more important problems to solve.

pooleevaldivia
02-13-08, 10:19 AM
hey i just got out of boot camp friday. i knew a lot of people who chewed before they went in. some of them up until the day they went it. You will one because you have no chioce stop when you get there but you are so busy and there are so many things going on you don't even think about it. good luck to you! if you have any questions about boot camp or anything else let me know...........

Alex84
02-13-08, 10:25 AM
hey i just got out of boot camp friday. i knew a lot of people who chewed before they went in. some of them up until the day they went it. You will one because you have no chioce stop when you get there but you are so busy and there are so many things going on you don't even think about it. good luck to you! if you have any questions about boot camp or anything else let me know...........

He's got it right. As far as I have heard, you won't even see a can of dip for 3 months.

If you really want to quit, then you will find a way. If your not ready to quit, then no gum/patch/losenge will work. I quit smoking the day I enlisted.

Good Luck.

usmchauer
02-13-08, 11:01 AM
While at Recruit Training, copenhagen will be the least of your concerns. It might still be a concern, but it will be the least of them I promise. A guy in my platoon that I went to high school with was a 3RAD recruit. Every morning he would join other recruits from within the Company and go clean the Company/Battalion HQ, away from the Drill Instructors. This sick fawk would find "used" copenhagen in the sh*t cans at HQ and put them in his mouth! He offered me some, but I just couldn't bare the thought of putting a twice used dip in my mouth.... Try not to trade dipping for smoking, which is happens to alot of folks.

skaterjon89
02-13-08, 02:25 PM
I think I remember that using dip for a long time also can resort to tounge hair in severe cases... Maybe just a teacher trying to scare a bunch of 6th graders...

Wyoming
02-13-08, 02:46 PM
I think I remember that using dip for a long time also can resort to tounge hair in severe cases... Maybe just a teacher trying to scare a bunch of 6th graders...

Is that like growing hair on your palm!!!:banana:

skaterjon89
02-13-08, 02:47 PM
ugh, reading my own posts made me sick lol, and the hair on the palm... Now that is just freaky....

SlingerDun
02-13-08, 06:12 PM
Whats a can of snoose go for in Alaska. 8, 10, 12 dollars? that would be enough incentive for me. Try weaning yourself by cutting the Copenhagen with a non tobacco chew. 1/2, 1/4 etc...its like an alcoholic eventually drinking nothing but O'douls, not very satisfying and one should do away with the substitutes at some point entirely because they are like a trigger for an infection that never did clear up, just waiting to re-activate and even the non tobacco products still rub your gums and can cause wiggly teeth or worse. Cold turkey is still probably the best kick. I still enjoy a big sniff of Copenhagen when somebody pops a can but i don't eat it or buy it anymore. Now I need to work on quitting the hand rolled quirleys.

--->Dave

sparkie
02-13-08, 06:58 PM
Do what the doctors did for ya 100 years ago. Put some chaw between your toes in the morning, and put your socks on. Old remedy for gettin off slow. Or buy the patch,,,,,same thing. Nuthin new under the sun.

zackmerc
02-13-08, 09:52 PM
Sorry, but you ain't gonna quit dipping, chewing, or smoking. I'd say 70% of the Corps drinks and smokes.

Dipping is most preferred because it is not as visible as a cigarette, produces no smoke, and it is easy to carry.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-14-08, 05:31 PM
If you are worried about having withdrawl in boot camp, that will quickly disappear in the confusing haze of recieving. You'll realize that it will be one of those things that just aren't important anymore.