PDA

View Full Version : Elective Surgery SOP?

jtbyrd1977
02-11-08, 03:14 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am an active duty Corporal with the Marines of the 3RD Marine Air Wing. I have a Marine who would like to get some cosmetic elective surgery. Does anyone know if there is an order that pertains to this? I'm sure that the Marine would need permission from the command, but I would like to read the order to see exactly what my Marine needs. Thank you in advance for your help.

Isrowei
02-11-08, 03:29 PM
What elective surgery...?

Tricare will cover SOME elective surgeries but only if it benefits the military in some way (usually in the form of keeping docter certs up.. not any direct benefit to the military member). These are few and FAR between.

Regardless of whether the desired surgury is covered or not, the healing/recuperation time has to come from the Marine's leave time and the Marine will not be excused from any expectations of service... i.e. PFT requirements, height/weight, etc.

Any medical complications resulting from the surgury WILL NOT be covered by military medicine. Any impairment for service may result in dismissal from the service with bad paperwork.

Phantom Blooper
02-11-08, 03:51 PM
Lt. I thought I read on here awhile back that the Navy is offering elective surgery for breast reduction and build up and that this was elective surgery and this was covered by the military medicine...

davblay
02-11-08, 04:00 PM
Bloop, I agree with the LT in that that's the way it was in my day. I didn't post because I thought it may have changed. I recall the Marine had to get permission from his CO, plus it was counted as leave time , if recovery was needed, AND they had to perform all thier duties after surgey or it was deep do do for the Marine, as the LT said! Something like removing a unwanted mole or wart, for instance, one hour in clinic, no recovery. But no loss of duty, was ok and you could get it done, under those conditions.

But a mojor elective surgey, that was never heard of! Not in my day, and believe me I spent a lot of time in Navy hospitals!

Just my 2 sents. :marine:

Dave

jtbyrd1977
02-11-08, 04:11 PM
Marines,

I have researched and called medical and looked at various orders and so forth. I can find NOTHING that deals with this issue, which is CRAZY to me.
I appreciate your help. Thank you.

GySgtRet
02-11-08, 04:16 PM
depend on what the surgery is? You don't need to tell the details just what area of the body. If the docs do it at the Naval Hospital or even if they don't maybe they can point you in the right direction?

:flag:

Semper Fi

GySgtRet
02-11-08, 04:17 PM
How about puting some details in your profile and read the rules.

Isrowei
02-11-08, 04:25 PM
You need to contact TriCare for further details.

Bloop, some surgery could be deemed elective yet extremely beneficial to the member (and by extension the Service) such as the breast reduction surgury. For a woman with an extremely large chest that causes undue back pain (or is abnormally affecting the spine) the surgery might be deemed beneficial and therefore covered. If you think you'd like a tight B cup better than the slightly large C cup you currently have (i.e. no medical impetus for change) then chances are the answer would be no.

All elective surguries are not bad. I had elective surgury on my shoulder to correct a deformity after I broke my collarbone. Elective cosmetic surgury is another story though. That gives the impression there is no benefit to be gained to the service for the work being done on the governments tab.

Tricare would be the place to start. If a surgury is not covered, then most definately any plans should be brought to the attention of the chain-of-command. I do know that certain surguries can disqualify you from certain jobs. For instance, having breast implants can disqualify you from any flying job because of the medical concerns.

I guess I'll ask the point blank question... Is this for a female? And if so, is it about a potential breast augmentation (either up or down)?

Phantom Blooper
02-11-08, 05:07 PM
Thanks Lt....I'll just back off and read now before I turn this thread South in my infinite wisdom! LMAO!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Big Jim
02-11-08, 05:18 PM
I remember a Marine in a sister unit of my Battalion having extremely large and protruding ears. We were at Camp Foster in Okinawa. He was a Sgt. when he asked for elective surgery but I DO remember the Commanding Officer approving it as he had trouble donning his M17A2 gas mask properly. So, that was the way they justified the elective surgery...good thing too...he had to run and anchor himself to something in a high wind!!! LOL!!!

Artemis
02-11-08, 06:23 PM
I had an elective surgery done when I was in. Had the surgery back in March of 2007 and I didn't have any trouble from my command. I suppose it has to do with exactly what kind of surgery it is as well. My recovery time was 48 hours SIQ. I know of another Marine that had one done when he was in but again it was only 48 hours SIQ recovery time.

Camper51
02-11-08, 07:12 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am an active duty Corporal with the Marines of the 3RD Marine Air Wing. I have a Marine who would like to get some cosmetic elective surgery. Does anyone know if there is an order that pertains to this? I'm sure that the Marine would need permission from the command, but I would like to read the order to see exactly what my Marine needs. Thank you in advance for your help.

jtbyrd1977 - you need to fill out your profile or else I will ask that the moderators to close this thread since you obviously don't wish to follow the rules of this site...

thedrifter
02-11-08, 07:22 PM
Till the Rules are followed by the poster this thread is closed....

Profile Please

Ellie