View Full Version : Veteran finds purpose, self-expression in art

thedrifter
02-10-08, 09:40 AM
Veteran finds purpose, self-expression in art
Homewood gallery showcases his work
Sunday, February 10, 2008
KIM BRYAN
News staff writer

Although the war in Iraq is fought with cutting-edge technology, Homewood police dispatcher Kevin Webster depicts it in an old-fashioned way.

The 43-year-old veteran's oil paintings of modern combat connect him to a historic artistic tradition.

Webster finds purpose in his depiction of violent situations. "It's a way to remember the hardships and triumphs of military life," he said. "It pays tribute to great American soldiers."

In 2004, the Gardendale native returned to his hometown after 21 years in the military. Webster spent four years in the Marines and 17 in the Army. During service in the 101st Airborne Division and the 2nd Infantry Division, he also was assigned to document events in oil paintings.

Webster's works are on display in military museums worldwide. Among private collectors are Army Vice Chief of Staff Richard Cody, Lt. Gen. David Petraeus and the late Gen. William Westmoreland.

Webster's latest paintings are on display at jenniferharwellart, a Homewood studio and gallery at SoHo Square.

Webster's retirement from the military filled a void in his life because he was able to spend more time with his family. But, he missed the sense of purpose and camaraderie that military service provided.

Struggling to adjust to civilian life, Webster landed good jobs locally, but he could not shake feelings of isolation.

He lost the desire to paint.

"I was depressed," Webster said. "I knew I could go to the VA (Veterans Administration) Hospital for help. But knowing it and finding the will to get it were two (different) things."

His lowest point occurred May 14, 2005, the day his best friend, Maj. Matthew Worrell, was killed in action in Iraq. One year after the death, Mother's Day 2006, Webster mustered his courage and phoned Worrell's mother in Texas.

As Dora Worrell recounted stories her son had shared about Webster, his burden began to lift. Calling again on last year's anniversary, he promised to visit on the next.

Three months later, Homewood police Lt. Ken Atkinson called to offer the dispatcher job. The significant pay cut wasn't an issue, Webster said.

"I've found that camaraderie again," Webster said. "I feel like I'm in the command center of Homewood. I'm happier than a pig in mud."

Webster's improved outlook revived his interest in art and resulted in a casual visit to an artist's gallery, something he had done many times when stationed in new cities on tours of duty. The warmth he received at Jennifer Harwell's gallery prompted him to enroll in one of her classes.

"We had no idea about his background," said Donny Harwell, who left the real estate field to work full time at his wife's gallery. "Jenny asked if he had ever painted. He went on to blow us away, like it was no big deal."

"Everybody at the gallery has fallen in love with Kevin," Jennifer Harwell said. "He just wandered in one day because he works at the police station across the street. I specialize in helping artists who are blocked, and Kevin was."

Webster has found an unexpected new family among the Harwells, fellow student artists and gallery patrons.

"This is a high-end gallery, as fine as any I've seen," Webster said. "But the difference is hospitality. This is a safe place to be yourself and be affirmed and accepted."

Webster is not only painting again, he's trying new techniques and media. Although experimenting with still lifes and portraiture, Webster expects military art will always be his greatest passion.

His next project will be a tribute to black soldiers.

"I think how hard it had to be for African-American soldiers of the Vietnam era and before," Webster said. "How sad to have the right to fight and die for your country, without having equal rights in the country you fought for."

Webster hopes to offer the painting to the Civil Rights Institute. Other works of his are displayed in military museums and galleries, from Don F. Pratt Military Museum in Fort Campbell, Ky., to the 2nd Infantry Division Museum in Uijongbu City, Korea, to the Pentagon in Washington.

But Webster never thought civilians would enjoy viewing his military paintings. The encouragement of his new "family" has changed that.

"It showed me people had a heart for military art," Webster said. "It has given me my life back."

On the Web: kevinwebsterart.com kbryan@bhamnews.com

Ellie