PDA

View Full Version : Arabic

Motto Poolee
02-10-08, 07:49 AM
What will learning Arabic do for me in the Marines? My MOS if I make it to being a Marine will be 0300, I was wondering if I will be to important to them to throw in Infantry, I don't know thats why I would like some of you marines to shed some light, Thank you.

~Poolee Fiorentino

davblay
02-10-08, 08:01 AM
What will learning Arabic do for me in the Marines? My MOS if I make it to being a Marine will be 0300, I was wondering if I will be to important to them to throw in Infantry, I don't know thats why I would like some of you marines to shed some light, Thank you.

~Poolee Fiorentino

It will help you while your in the sandbox! I mean to speak to the people over there!

Motto Poolee
02-10-08, 08:13 AM
It will help you while your in the sandbox! I mean to speak to the people over there!

Haha, yah thank you. Im only doing it for my own personal benefit, like for situations over there. Im not doing it for money, important status, etc. Anyways I joined the Corps to fight, not for the schooling, the money (what money) or anything else. I figured I can learn what I need to know in the 4 months I got left before I ship to PI.

brian21johansen
02-10-08, 08:14 AM
The Marine Corps has some type of program where if you know another language they can use you as a translator. You get paid extra every month too. I forget the name of the whole program and stuff but at bootcamp there's a time when they pull aside anybody who can speak a different language. Those people(nasty ass recruits) go and take some audio test to make sure they are fluent or whatever. I know that Spanish is the least paid because so many people speak it. I'm assuming that Arabic is a high paying language for obvious reasons but I'm not quite sure.

No matter what the situation it is always good to know another language....especially if you are going to play in the sandbox for 6 months. Also, if you take a language class at a college I'm sure those college credits can help you out later on in life. Talk to your recruiter about how many college credits you need to get promoted to PFC.

And hey, I know your not in it for the money as you say, neither am I. But if the Marine Corps is gonna pay you money for knowing another language then that is good to go. Learn the language 'cause it can help you in the future, not for the money and promotions. (But if you get offered money or a promotion youbetter take it)

Motto Poolee
02-10-08, 08:20 AM
The Marine Corps has some type of program where if you know another language they can use you as a translator. You get paid extra every month too. I forget the name of the whole program and stuff but at bootcamp there's a time when they pull aside anybody who can speak a different language. Those people(nasty ass recruits) go and take some audio test to make sure they are fluent or whatever. I know that Spanish is the least paid because so many people speak it. I'm assuming that Arabic is a high paying language for obvious reasons but I'm not quite sure.

No matter what the situation it is always good to know another language....especially if you are going to play in the sandbox for 6 months. Also, if you take a language class at a college I'm sure those college credits can help you out later on in life. Talk to your recruiter about how many college credits you need to get promoted to PFC.

And hey, I know your not in it for the money as you say, neither am I. But if the Marine Corps is gonna pay you money for knowing another language then that is good to go. Learn the language 'cause it can help you in the future, not for the money and promotions. (But if you get offered money or a promotion youbetter take it)

Awesome response, thank you. Im already getting promoted to Pfc, so i got that of the way. Im also not going to college prior to leaving, but if I take Arabic at a college in like night school or something, does that count for college credits, and does that help me out like your saying, with the money and ranking? Maybe LCpl out of boot? :p

davblay
02-10-08, 08:43 AM
Maybe LCpl out of boot?
HERE WE GO AGAIN...
SAME OLD CRAP AGAIN...
MARCHING DOWN THE AVENUVE
A FEW MONTHS AND I'LL BE THROUGH
I'LL BE GLAD AND SO WILL YOU.....

L/CPL out of boot camp....this guy should be making a commercial, "AIM HIGH" or, "BE AN ARMY OF ONE"! Our leaders are known for taking care of the men under them, to make sure they are fit, feed, paid, get mail and stay squared away, sometimes that extra time will help one of your men to get that promotion before you, but that's TEAMWORK! A leader doesn't spend as much time worrying about themselves, as they do thier men! Don't loose sight of the objective, or mission, but don't make it obvious that you are kissing the DIs azz either! No one likes a kiss AZZ!

Dave

brian21johansen
02-10-08, 08:44 AM
Lance Corporal out of boot would be awesome but its pretty much unheard of. I'm not positive on all the college credit stuff and I don't want to give you false info so your gonna have to wait for another motivated Marine to help you out.

Motto Poolee
02-10-08, 11:22 AM
HERE WE GO AGAIN...
SAME OLD CRAP AGAIN...
MARCHING DOWN THE AVENUVE
A FEW MONTHS AND I'LL BE THROUGH
I'LL BE GLAD AND SO WILL YOU.....

L/CPL out of boot camp....this guy should be making a commercial, "AIM HIGH" or, "BE AN ARMY OF ONE"! Our leaders are known for taking care of the men under them, to make sure they are fit, feed, paid, get mail and stay squared away, sometimes that extra time will help one of your men to get that promotion before you, but that's TEAMWORK! A leader doesn't spend as much time worrying about themselves, as they do thier men! Don't loose sight of the objective, or mission, but don't make it obvious that you are kissing the DIs azz either! No one likes a kiss AZZ!

Dave

Wow when did I say I was going to a kiss ass, or asking for attention. You got the wrong impression about me Sir. I want to be a leader and I know that I must put my men first. I would always take care of them first, especially if it involved chow, my men would eat first...then ME! I would always help them out and never ask of them what I would not do myself. Anywas Im a leader and everyone around me knows it, My recruiters train me well, and know I like to lead. Yesterday I did the PT run with 20 of my guys, and ran with a flak jacket on motivating them, and it worked! Now they look up to me and all that, its not what I wanted, I just wanted to help out...but its what I recieved. I would just like to have that higher rank earlier as a Marine, because I like to lead.

jinelson
02-10-08, 11:50 AM
by brian21johansen - Lance Corporal out of boot would be awesome but its pretty much unheard of.

But it can be done. This is Covey_Rider one of our own.

Jim

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/Doms_Boot_Camp_Pics_019.jpg

Metro Marine Earns His Stripes

December 18, 2006 -- There's one young man in the metro who doesn't lay awake at night worrying about the numbers in Iraq. More troops, fewer troops, either way he's ready to add his service.

Dominic Stam says, "Everybody thinks I'm a little bit taller now, but I did not gain any height, I just stand a little taller."

In 13 weeks, Stam earned his stripes, extra stripes and cross rifles that no one else around him gets to wear. He is now Lance Corporal Stam after overcoming two of the scariest words for a recruit... gas chamber.

At marine boot camp in San Diego, it's the pain of service. Stam says, "Your eyes burn a lot, mucous pours out, you want to gag."

He bested the chamber and the other grueling test that makes a marine, three straight days of constantly moving without nearly any food or sleep. He performed better than any of the other recruits, 494 recruits from all across the country.

Lance Corporal Stam is just 17-years-old. He knows his potential will now be truly tested. If the U.S. needs more arms in war, he'll join his military brothers and sisters without hesitation.

Stam wants to be a combat engineer. He hopes to go to Iraq after he finishes more training at Camp Legume in North Carolina next year.

http://www.whotv13.com/Global/story.asp?S=5831794

davblay
02-10-08, 11:54 AM
Wow when did I say I was going to a kiss ass, or asking for attention. You got the wrong impression about me Sir. I want to be a leader and I know that I must put my men first. I would always take care of them first, especially if it involved chow, my men would eat first...then ME! I would always help them out and never ask of them what I would not do myself. Anywas Im a leader and everyone around me knows it, My recruiters train me well, and know I like to lead. Yesterday I did the PT run with 20 of my guys, and ran with a flak jacket on motivating them, and it worked! Now they look up to me and all that, its not what I wanted, I just wanted to help out...but its what I recieved. I would just like to have that higher rank earlier as a Marine, because I like to lead.

Now lets read the highlighted parts alone...."when did I say I was going to kiss ass, asking for attention"? We'll make that a question, then look at your answer....."I'm a leader and everyone around me knows it, my recruiters know I like to lead. I did the PT run and ran with a flak jacket on. I would like to have that higher rank earlier as a Marine, because I like to lead"!

Now tone down your attitude poolee, your speaking to a Marine! That's the way I see you from your post, above! That's the way a DI will see you and the other members of your platoon at boot camp. Now I am simply giving you a little bit of what you can expect from a Drill Instructor, if you can't hack it, or you spout of to one of them......well lets see how fast you get promoted then!

You are borderline disrespecting an NCO, Poolee! Another good leadership trait is never argue with your superiors! Look that up un your leadership manual!

You come on a Marine Corps site, asking for help and advice, then argue with what you get. I hope you check that attitude at the main gate at my island, for your sake! I suggest you read the rules of this site again and rethink your line of posting!

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT POOLEE?

CPL Dave Blaylock

Zulu 36
02-10-08, 12:14 PM
(Snip) I would just like to have that higher rank earlier as a Marine, because I like to lead.

You don't need higher rank to lead. You just need to be a leader. Chipping your teeth about how great of a leader you are doesn't make you one. Any Marine can (and does) run with a flak jacket on. Tell us something that can really impress us.

Good luck on that one. I know Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturer Scouts who are excellent leaders. But they show it through their ACTIONS, not words.

Brewer0311
02-10-08, 01:01 PM
I've seen one meritorious Lcpl out of boot that was in my SOI class. He aslo got Corporal meritorious and a NAM. (This was due to the fact that he was holding the billet of Section Leader for machinegunners and does his job VERY well.) He's a leader plain and simple. He has a few years on most of the other Marines. He's seen more things in the world. He was also a school teacher prior to entering the Corps. So I'm sure that has helped in out a lot with being a good leader and NCO. I've also seen Marines get meritorious LCpl from SOI. They don't really hold any of the leadership positions within their platoon. Get into trouble and don't know how to watch their mouth. Don't do their MCIs. Don't keep their uniforms in proper order. Constantly have to be corrected. (See the trend?) Getting meritorious out of boot and SOI is a good thing. Your able to keep your crap straight for 3 months at a place where it's hard not to and your good at PT. (<-- insert a little sarcasm). The Marines that deserve these promotions are the ones that take initiative. Prove themselves above their peers and follow through with their duties. Just becuase you got your little chevrons out of boot or SOI doesn't mean crap when you get to the fleet. I've seen it happen plenty of times when a smart mouth LCpl first gets to the fleet and some terminal lance gets in his face. Boot LCpl smarts off and then the other knocks him on his @$#. I don't care how big and bad you think you are. THere is always someone bigger and badder. And if you try to get your buddies involved the guy your getting smart with probably has more. If you want rank then go Comm, Admin, or if you just have to be a grunt go 52. Just stay away from me and my Marines becuase I don't need you bringing us down.

Motto Poolee
02-10-08, 01:41 PM
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, or trying to boast about what I do in any way. I wasn't trying to disrespect any Marine here or have an attitude, sorry If it came off like that. I don't know why you deem it appropriate to be disrespectful to me right off that bat, before drawing a conclusion.

Brandon1
02-10-08, 05:08 PM
This reminds me of a movie I watched the other day. It was called "The Gaurdian" good movie hope you have seen it. Anyways, this reminded me of a part in the movie when everybody was in a pool...Senior Chief said "Are you willing to give up your life so that others may live?" (Not sure if thats an exact quote but somewhere along those lines). All the Recruits responded with "YES SENIOR CHIEF!". After a while a recruit started to cramp up and he couldnt keep above water. The "Swim Champ", the most qualified Recruit did not help out and save that other recruit, even though he said he was there to save lives and he was willing to sacrafice himself to save another. I'm not sure how much say I have in this but just because you say your a leader doesnt mean when it comes down to it you will be. I hope my movie analogy went with the situation here...Makes sense to me lol.

davblay
02-10-08, 05:22 PM
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, or trying to boast about what I do in any way. I wasn't trying to disrespect any Marine here or have an attitude, sorry If it came off like that. I don't know why you deem it appropriate to be disrespectful to me right off that bat, before drawing a conclusion.
Respect, Poolee, is something you earn! That's the point we've been trying to make and you don't seem to get it yet! We Marines have earned YOUR respect, and you will damn well give it, if you are going to survive on this site and in the Corps!

My advice, if you want it, is re read your post before you click on the submit button. If it sounds like any form of disrespect, then delete it! We have BTDT and don't need a Poolee to come on as a billybadass and all! I mean who do you think you're impressing? The only thing you have to prove to us is that you have the desire that you need to take good sound advice and the ability to earn the title of Marine! Until that day, you are nothing to us except a wannabee!

Now ask yourself this, why are they picking on me! We aren't picking on you, we are simply showing you your flaws now, before you land on that Island! You might thank us one day! I have already told you what to do with that attitude! What you do now is up to you, but remember that you are a guest on this site and we Marines are not going to be impressed with your ability to motivate your fellow Poolees at an RSS function, or because your recruiter likes the way you LEAD! All you are doing is making his job easier! He hasn't "Taught you well" as you put it! I never met a leader that had to tell anyone that they are a leader, like you did!

Ahhh, Poolees.....you gotta love em! GOD knows we need them, even when they brag about doing thier job! Well that's what we all do in the Corps.....our job!

Good luck and I hope you are Commandant (out of Boot Camp).

Dave

Motto Poolee
02-10-08, 09:11 PM
Respect, Poolee, is something you earn! That's the point we've been trying to make and you don't seem to get it yet! We Marines have earned YOUR respect, and you will damn well give it, if you are going to survive on this site and in the Corps!

My advice, if you want it, is re read your post before you click on the submit button. If it sounds like any form of disrespect, then delete it! We have BTDT and don't need a Poolee to come on as a billybadass and all! I mean who do you think you're impressing? The only thing you have to prove to us is that you have the desire that you need to take good sound advice and the ability to earn the title of Marine! Until that day, you are nothing to us except a wannabee!

Now ask yourself this, why are they picking on me! We aren't picking on you, we are simply showing you your flaws now, before you land on that Island! You might thank us one day! I have already told you what to do with that attitude! What you do now is up to you, but remember that you are a guest on this site and we Marines are not going to be impressed with your ability to motivate your fellow Poolees at an RSS function, or because your recruiter likes the way you LEAD! All you are doing is making his job easier! He hasn't "Taught you well" as you put it! I never met a leader that had to tell anyone that they are a leader, like you did!

Ahhh, Poolees.....you gotta love em! GOD knows we need them, even when they brag about doing thier job! Well that's what we all do in the Corps.....our job!

Good luck and I hope you are Commandant (out of Boot Camp).

Dave

All I have to say is thank you Sir, I DID have an attitude problem.

davblay
02-10-08, 09:41 PM
All I have to say is thank you Sir, I DID have an attitude problem.

I see a glimmer of hope in this PUP! :marine:

Semper Fi Pup,

Dave

RYDERKUR
02-10-08, 09:57 PM
I do too Corporal, I saw it too in the IST post, I think he's good to go, or at least a good start.

skaterjon89
02-11-08, 01:45 AM
I think ANY language is an excellent tool, I wish my parents taught me Spanish, instead I had to learn from school, and only conversational :\ It is something, but not as good as I wish...

SGT7477
02-11-08, 09:42 AM
The recruiter and the DI are two different people I have seen many DI's lose respect for the recruiter and if the DI could he would just love to bend and thrust the recruiter too,lol.:evilgrin:

Motto Poolee
02-11-08, 10:00 AM
Sir, the Ironic thing is, is that my recruiters best friend is a senior DI, he says Im most likely to get him when I go down, that will be a load of fun, seeing as 4 of us poolees are going on the buddy program! :P

Im pretty sure it is, 3 Battalion, Kilo

davblay
02-11-08, 10:13 AM
Sir, the Ironic thing is, is that my recruiters best friend is a senior DI, he says Im most likely to get him when I go down, that will be a load of fun, seeing as 4 of us poolees are going on the buddy program! :P

Im pretty sure it is, 3 Battalion, Kilo

I don't want to rain on your parade Poolee, but the odds are about 1 in 400 that you will have that DI! Believe me, you do not want that DI, not if he knows your recruiter! Trust me! One of my DIs went thru boot camp with my older brother, he knew it, I didn't until graduation day! I just thought he hated me! I just know he put me thru living hell for the entire training period! The Ironinc thing is he and Bill (my brother) were best friends, same MOS and all!

Dave

Motto Poolee
02-11-08, 03:23 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade Poolee, but the odds are about 1 in 400 that you will have that DI! Believe me, you do not want that DI, not if he knows your recruiter! Trust me! One of my DIs went thru boot camp with my older brother, he knew it, I didn't until graduation day! I just thought he hated me! I just know he put me thru living hell for the entire training period! The Ironinc thing is he and Bill (my brother) were best friends, same MOS and all!

Dave

My recruiter told me that my info is 3rd Battalion Kilo company, I would like my training to be hard, I want it to teach me a lesson, and I don't want to cut any cornors earning this title. I want it bad, and I want to know I've earned through blood, sweat and tears, and a lot of it! I hear 3rd Battalion is demanding, so Im ready to get my ass beat. Im sure it pays off? :usmc:

skaterjon89
02-11-08, 03:29 PM
There are different series in each battalion though...

ex: 1041-1045

You could be in any 4, thus you most likely will not, don't get your hopes up? Lol, I don't know if that is the proper saying for this...

davblay
02-11-08, 03:46 PM
My recruiter told me that my info is 3rd Battalion Kilo company, I would like my training to be hard, I want it to teach me a lesson, and I don't want to cut any cornors earning this title. I want it bad, and I want to know I've earned through blood, sweat and tears, and a lot of it! I hear 3rd Battalion is demanding, so Im ready to get my ass beat. Im sure it pays off? :usmc:

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/visitors/grad/index.htm

According to the Parris Island Graduation Schedule (above link), you will be in Echo Company, 2ndBN, Graduating on 20080919! :evilgrin:

If you are correct in what you have on your profile, your ship date is June 23rd, 2008, that is! Is that correct, or did you make a error when you posted it? Hint, start with June 23rd and count thirteen weeks on the calender!

In the future, Poolee, when you have a dispute about one of my post, PM me, this is not the chat room!

Dave

Camper51
02-11-08, 07:04 PM

~Poolee Fiorentino

Being FLUENT in Arabic/Farsi languages BEFORE you enter the Corps can get you many things such as maybe a slot in intelligence. But unless you are FLUENT in a language it won't be of any use to the Corps. The typical grunt company (0300's) has no use for language specialists in their normal ranks. Your platoon leader may use you if you have certain language skills but unless you are fluent you could cause more problems than it would worth....