PDA

View Full Version : Pt

Seoke
02-09-08, 04:52 PM
So today I went out with my recruiter and a bunch of poolees to do some PT. I havent ran in a long time and it was horrible. I did fine in the physical strength and edurance thing but the running was just horrid. #1 I dont have running shoes, all I have are slipon shoes, so any suggestions where I could get a pair of cheap running shoes since I'm out of a job right now would be great. And #2 I was DEAD tired after 3/4s of a mile, and I know that I shouldnt have been. I just havent ran in a long long time. Any suggestions on running plans that can help me gain more endurance so that I'll do better when I do my PT tests would be great! Thanks a ton ^_^

WKranz
02-09-08, 05:43 PM
Don't look for cheap shoes, look for comfortable. It is worth it to spend a few extra dollars on shoes that you can run comfortably in.

The advice i see most when it comes to running is just do it. Constantly. Till you puke.

Seoke
02-09-08, 05:48 PM
Lol I will as soon as I can get my hands on some shoes =P And I have to have cheap shoes >> I seriously have like $3 right now in my name lol.

Brewer0311
02-09-08, 06:00 PM
Try a thrift store, talk to one of your buddies, heck go to dollar general and get some. Some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever wore came from there or wal-mart. I'm kind of partial to the running shoes I have now though. Just can't seem to give them up even though they're falling apart.

Seoke
02-09-08, 06:01 PM
Ahh alright thanks Brewer =P

karstenchu
02-09-08, 07:34 PM
If you're very serious about training for the Corps, my advice to you would be to make some money and get a decent pair of running shoes. Fitted for your feet would be double plus good as your shoes are going to help prevent you from being injured.

As for a running plan, I can help you out here. When I first started (could barely run .25 miles without being winded), I used this http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. As you can already go at least .75 miles, I'd suggest you find where you are in the schedule and start there.

Running til' you puke is fairly gung-ho, but it's going to hurt your motivation. A more reasonable plan would be to spend a week or two doing your cardio workouts maybe 2x a week with rest in between. After you're ready, start running every other day. This is what I do and it's been showing some nice gains.

When you do the Couch to 5k program, do the intervals at different speeds. For your first running interval, do a jog (~5mph). For each subsequent interval, increase the speed by .3mph. You'll see that the C25K program will help you build up to longer and longer periods of running without resting.

I did the C25K program for maybe two months before I picked a pace that I wanted to stay at. From then on, I'd run only at 7mph or faster and try and run longer and longer each time. Each week, you should try and increase your time running at your pace by ~10%.

As for eating, I find that your diet has a massive affect on your ability to run. Or maybe that was just me. I had to play around with my pre-run diet and digestion times. I found that eating a decent sized meal of ~500 calories with a good dose of protein, vitamins and omega 3's powers my runs pretty well. I also wait 1.5-2 hours to digest before going or else I'll get side-stitches. As far as post-workout diet, you should immediately replace your burned calories after your workout. Get a nice fruit juice down and, if you have any, some whey protein to stop muscle breakdown in your legs.

As you probably know, your ability run changes from day to day. Don't get discouraged by the bad days. They're only a test! If you are consistent in your
training, it won't be long before you find yourself breaking the 1, 1.5, 2 and 2.5 mile "barriers".

crazymjb
02-09-08, 07:46 PM
Shoes may be the single most important thing for running, at least they are for me, because I have high arches. It would be worth it for you to get a job just to buy some shoes.

Mike

Seoke
02-09-08, 08:43 PM
Finding a job around here is hard >> I'm currently looking for one until I leave for training, then I'll get some shoes.

Big Jim
02-09-08, 10:58 PM
We used to run in boots and utes!! While we were in Saudi Arabia no less!! My Sargeant Major back then was a real hardcore S.O.B....a Nam vet! He would where a heavy-azz kevlar vest and full camoflage utilities when he'd run us for at least 5 miles in 120 degree heat!! The man was born hard I tell you! We did that for probably 3 months while in Desert Shield and boy we ALL lost weight and our run times and endurance all increased drastically!! We all hated him for it but we came back to the world damn-near all 300 PFTer's!! Then we loved him for it!!! Sgt. Mjr. Glen Miller...I'd have followed that man through HELL and out the other side!!! So, HE proved we didn't need running shoes at all!! Just some motivation and a decent pair of shoes that fit ok. We survived!!

Seoke
02-09-08, 11:48 PM
Seems like thats what I'll be doing, just sufficing with the shoes I have for now =P I want to get this 2 month running plan started because I ship in about 2 months for Boot =P

SlingerDun
02-10-08, 02:18 AM
I seriously have like $3 right now in my name lol.8 hours labor at minimum wage will net over 40 dollars after taxes. Taco Bell, Chevron, McDonalds, Burger King, Farm Day Labor, Chopping Cord Wood, Walking Dogs, Shoveling Snow, Raking Leaves, Pulling Weeds...Knocking on neighbors doors for odd jobs. Broke people who aint affraid of working have resiliently coined this as "Opportunity"

--->Dave

Seoke
02-10-08, 02:24 AM
8 hours labor at minimum wage will net over 40 dollars after taxes. Taco Bell, Chevron, McDonalds, Burger King, Farm Day Labor, Chopping Cord Wood, Walking Dogs, Shoveling Snow, Raking Leaves, Pulling Weeds...Knocking on neighbors doors for odd jobs. Broke people who aint affraid of working have resiliently coined this as "Opportunity"

--->Dave

I've had very good jobs before, the best paying was 19/hr doing database administration. The only problem is that theres is no need for that kind of work around here >_> I've worked for that same company for a while from home, but its really hard to find a job that will allow you to do everything remotely lol =P But yeah, I'm going to start trying *really* hard on monday =p wish me luck.

skaterjon89
02-10-08, 02:29 AM
Here is a good run plan:

Run 4-5days for 30mins each day then increase that time by 10minutes or 15minutes for each following week, I do regular 90minute runs...

Seoke
02-10-08, 02:34 AM
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml is the one i'm going to be following actually. It fits my timeline perfectly =P I'm also going to be doing the Armstrong Pullup Thingy >> =P