PDA

View Full Version : Global War on Terror Service Medal

Sgt Leprechaun
02-09-08, 03:00 PM
We've had numerous questions on this one. Hopefully, this will clear them up once and for all.

The Global War on Terrorism Service Medal is a military decoration of the United States military which was created by Executive Order 13289 of President George W. Bush on 12 March 2003. The decoration recognizes those military service members who have performed service in the War on Terrorism from September 11, 2001 to a date to be determined.

To be awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a military service member must perform duty in a designated anti-terrorism operation for a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty. For those who were engaged in combat, killed, or wounded in the line of the duty the time requirement is waived.

The medal is also awarded to personnel who perform support duty of an anti-terrorism operation but do not directly participate. The phrase "support" is defined as any administrative, logistics, planning, operational, technical, or readiness activity which provides support to an operation of the Global War on Terrorism. As of 2005, this blanket term has effectively awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal to most personnel of the United States armed forces who performed service after September of 2001.

The initial authorized operation for the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal was the so called "Airport Security Operation" which occurred between September 27, 2001 and May 31, 2002. Additional operations, for which the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal is authorized, include the active military campaigns of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Noble Eagle, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Future operations are at the discretion of United States component commanders upon approval from the United States Department of Defense.

Only one award of this medal may be authorized for any individual; therefore, no service stars are prescribed.

So. While some would think this is very clear, there have been repeated questions and comments, mostly from new Marines, about getting awarded this medal. The key words in this order are "30 consecutive days" and "Support". (Or designated anti-terrorist for those totin weapons).

Recruit Training? No.

SOI? No.

MOS School? No.

None of those will/would qualify, because, simply put, none of them are 'supporting' the War on Terror. While the Marine is on active duty for those things, it's all training related.

You don't 'rate' the medal until you have 30 days supporting the War. That means the Fleet Marine Forces, or your next duty station after MOS school.

In order of precedence, the GWOTSM (pronounced "GeeWOtSeM") comes after the National Defense Medal.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/GWOTSM.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/GWOTSM.jpg)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Global_war_terrorism_service_ribbon.gif (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Global_war_terrorism_service_ribbon.gif)

pinky2brain1
07-09-08, 06:17 AM
So that means if I was recalled to active duty in Feb 2003 in "support" of operation Enduring Freedom. I would rate the GWOTSM? I was on active duty till Oct 2003. I was also wondering if I do rate it, how do I get it put in my service record now that I am no longer in?

Denmeade
07-14-08, 01:08 PM
looks good

Brewer0311
07-14-08, 04:59 PM
So that means if I was recalled to active duty in Feb 2003 in "support" of operation Enduring Freedom. I would rate the GWOTSM? I was on active duty till Oct 2003. I was also wondering if I do rate it, how do I get it put in my service record now that I am no longer in?

If you were deployed you rate the GWOT service and expeditionary medal.

Hercules1944
07-19-08, 03:26 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/medalsanddecs/l/blwotmedals.htm

That should clarify your eligibility.

Petz
08-05-08, 10:59 PM
If you were deployed you rate the GWOT service and expeditionary medal.

if you look at my threads on the ICM and ACM it will have the dates for when you rate those... if you were in country before those dates you rate the GWOTEM.... you won't get the GWOTEM if you deployed after those dates in those threads.

the GWOTEM is intended for smaller missions such as the horn of africa, where pirates are.... or MSG duty..... or bosnia.....

Campaign medals are for those campaigns.... sorry if you don't rate one. KILL!

Brewer0311
08-06-08, 05:51 AM
the GWOTEM is intended for smaller missions such as the horn of africa, where pirates are.... or MSG duty..... or bosnia.....

Now it is for that purpose. Before the campaign medals were here the GWOTEM was authorized. I understood that, but I have a tendancy to write things without the full details.

Petz
08-06-08, 08:15 AM
then you go confusing people.... I mean me... 'cause others probably got what you were saying.

so yeah, you were correct in your statement then.

Mikewebe
08-26-08, 06:25 PM
Ok heres a good one for you I was in the National guard from 04 till 07 and was given a Folder that contained my Gwot as well as my reserve medal and an Armed forces expeditionary medal but my 214 says Gwot expeditionary so was I awarded both or just the one on the 214 ?

Brewer0311
08-26-08, 06:37 PM
Ok heres a good one for you I was in the National guard from 04 till 07 and was given a Folder that contained my Gwot as well as my reserve medal and an Armed forces expeditionary medal but my 214 says Gwot expeditionary so was I awarded both or just the one on the 214 ?

If you deployed to Iraq/Afghan before the two individual campaign medals were established then you should have gotten the GWOT expeditionary.

If you did not deploy to either of the two you don't rate it.

I'm assuming since you got an armed forces expeditionary medal then you deployed (duh).

So... You rate the GWOT service, GWOT expeditionary, Reserve medal, and Armed Forces expeditionary medal.

Mikewebe
08-26-08, 06:54 PM
I did a Nato mission in Bosnia looking for PIFWCS, 05-06

Sgt Leprechaun
09-01-08, 06:43 AM
You rate it.

Petz
09-04-08, 09:43 AM
don't just wear them! you need to have them put into your SRB and I don't know the course of action to make that happen.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-05-08, 09:57 AM
Correct. If you are still on active duty, take your documentation to your Admin section and make sure they enter it into your records. If you are off AD, you'll need to submit a form to get a corrected DD214.

itzs4m
10-04-08, 01:22 AM
As a reserve will I also be able to be awarded the GWTS medal? If so, how will I be eligible to receive it? Any information will be helpful thanks.

Petz
10-06-08, 12:01 PM
you need 30 days on active duty in the fleet... sorry reserves don't count, nor does your training.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-08-08, 12:11 PM
Correct. You need the 30 days either in the Fleet or on some other mission, other than reserves.

Hercules1944
10-09-08, 02:31 AM
Correct. You need the 30 days either in the Fleet or on some other mission, other than reserves.

Well, since 50% or so of the total Force in the sandbox and Afghan is Reserves or Guards, what you got to say about that?:iwo:

Gunner0331
10-09-08, 01:39 PM
yeah all of our boots have it

Petz
10-10-08, 11:33 PM
if they are wearing it before the 30 days, it's probably because they were informed of the wrong verbage... it happens, I've done stuff like that personally.... I feel dumb when it happens.

malicenfz
11-09-08, 04:34 PM
There are a couple of Sergeants in my unit and we are reserves and they were wearing it at the ball, and I know they haven't been active duty, what gives?

Petz
12-06-08, 05:52 PM
were they activated at all?

if they were mobilized I'm sure they'll rate that.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-08-08, 10:49 AM
For reserves it's basically, if you've either been activated for a support mission relating to GWOT, (Operation Noble Eagle, for example) OR, your unit decides that you have contributed to GWOT enough to rate the medal.

gatesr494
12-31-08, 09:40 PM
like the look of that Metal

gatesr494
12-31-08, 09:45 PM
As a reserve will I also be able to be awarded the GWTS medal? If so, how will I be eligible to receive it? Any information will be helpful thanks.

As stated by someone else before, go to this site to check to see if you are eligible: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/medal...lwotmedals.htm (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/medalsanddecs/l/blwotmedals.htm)

Petz
01-01-09, 01:49 AM
I do know that if those Sgts went to a MOS school or advanced course rather... that they'd have been augmented to active duty... and I think that might qualify them... but ADOS does not count as orders in support of the GWOT.

they could have done a work-up on ADOS and somehow fought for it....

vfsgfgfh
01-15-09, 08:43 PM
good looks

echo3oscar1833
03-16-09, 02:35 AM
yeah all of our boots have it

I got out in 2003, didn't receive my GWOTSM until 2007. There may be some that consider this an insignifigant medal. In my eyes im damn proud to have it, along with my NDSM. The sad thing is I never got the chance to wear it on my uniform. Semper Fi:marine:

sooner
03-17-09, 03:05 PM
What form is needed for the DD214 correction for non-AD

SmithAdrian
03-17-09, 06:56 PM
I know I'm a bit out of place in this topic, but would 0352 qualify for this?

After reading the second page, I see it says some reserve units get it and some don't. What would be the actual qualifications to say they did "enough"?

echo3oscar1833
03-17-09, 10:41 PM
I know I'm a bit out of place in this topic, but would 0352 qualify for this?

After reading the second page, I see it says some reserve units get it and some don't. What would be the actual qualifications to say they did "enough"?

First of all you don't rate to post here, second if you are going to be displaying your grandfathers medals and ribbons in your signature, get em right. Your missing the National Defense Medal for one, and two I'm sure there are a few more missing from there.

echo3oscar1833
03-17-09, 10:43 PM
What form is needed for the DD214 correction for non-AD

Just send a request along with your DD-214 to the Marine Corps Awards Branch they, will send you the medal, if you have the dates, and qualification period. Plus they will submit a update to MMSB, which will send you a DD-215 update stating the change on your DD-214. Semper Fi Brother.

sooner
03-18-09, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Devil.

Semper Fi.

echo3oscar1833
03-18-09, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Devil.

Semper Fi.

Not a problem brother, anything to help. Semper Fi :marine:

Hotel4341
05-15-09, 12:29 PM
So. While some would think this is very clear, there have been repeated questions and comments, mostly from new Marines, about getting awarded this medal. The key words in this order are "30 consecutive days" and "Support". (Or designated anti-terrorist for those totin weapons).

Recruit Training? No.

SOI? No.

MOS School? No.

None of those will/would qualify, because, simply put, none of them are 'supporting' the War on Terror. While the Marine is on active duty for those things, it's all training related.

I've got two questions regarding this:

1) Is there a reason that the USMC and Navy don't award the GWOT after boot camp, but the AF and Army do? I mean, besides the fact that we're better then them, of course.

2) You make it clear that you're not going to get the GWOT until you're done with all the initial schooling, but I am in a weird situation that has my admin section checking the books, and I figured I'd ask your help. I have already graduated my primary MOS school, but the Marine Corps wants me to get my B billet for the MOS before I leave school. While waiting to pick up, I am on PTAD at 8th and I, doing the job I would do if this were my duty station. By the time I go back, I will have 30 days of consecutive service here. Would/should I rate the GWOT, even though I haven't been to my first duty station?

Sgt Leprechaun
05-16-09, 06:53 AM
1: Because the USMC and Navy follow both the spirit, and the LETTER of the intent of the award of the medal, and not the 'touchy feely' nonsense the Army does. The Air Force comes and goes with the award, some tech schools tell the airmen to wear it, others do not allow it.

2: It's going to depend on how the admin chief reads the regulations. If it were me, unless your PTAD is, in fact, 'critical' or 'actually supporting' the GWOT, I'd say 'no'. Waiting another 30 days until you reach your perm. duty station isn't going to kill you.

Carc138
06-27-09, 08:16 AM
In the top posting it says "a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty" if you are a reservist then each drill weekend counts towards the 60 non-consecutive days. So after 60 days of drill you should rate it?

Brent2651
06-27-09, 11:21 AM
I personally do not agree with rating the GWOT-S at all, unless you are directly supporting anti-terrorism missions within the U.S. A buddy of mine earned his for 18 months of armed airport security on Operation Noble Eagle.

Sadly, my GWOT-S was the result of Operation Enduring Freedom back in '04. I came away with that one, the GWOT-E, the Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Mobilization "M" device, and an Air Force Overseas Short Tour Ribbon. I already had a star in my "fire watch" ribbon, so nothing new there. Came back looking like a war hero for one deployment. Only one of the ribbons was Air Force. The others were Federal, awarded under Federal criteria, so it cannot be said that the Air Force "gave" them to me like candy. Uncle Sam did.

BUT, the point is that although I "rate" and wear them, I still think it's overkill.

Bottom line: if your permanent unit regularly deploys Marines, either as a whole or as individual augments, then chances are very high that you will be awarded the GWOT-S within 6 months of your assignment to said unit.

It is one of the few awards you can receive without actually going anywhere.

Recruits shouldn't leave boot camp looking like war heroes. Sadly, some Airmen leave basic looking exactly that way, as it is possible for them to wear 5 ribbons fresh out the gate. Sickening.

I had to earn all of mine.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-27-09, 05:40 PM
Brent, I feel your pain, believe me. When I was in Tech school I got into constant 'discussions' (we don't argue in the Air Force, do we??) about this exact topic (the GWOT-S Medal) with kids whose instructors TOLD them to wear the ribbon. I went, personally, to each of the instructors and showed them the reg, because it annoyed the crap outta me. When they 'disagreed', I asked them exactly what anyone in Tech school had done to support the war on terrorism? They said "We've always done it that way".

My response? "Great, it's been wrong for years, why don't you do it the CORRECT way???"

I wasn't a popular fella at Brooks, needless to say. But right is right.

BTW, I got my GWOT-S for being at the Pentagon on 9/11. 'Nuff said.

Devil Dmax
07-11-09, 09:37 PM
I was wondering if this picture was right. I mean the last my S1 said, we are getting the ICM and Overseas ribbon. Why doesnt this 'Cpl'? I could be wrong and when I get home I will know for sure. this was his pic coppied and pasted. http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member7579.png (http://militarysignatures.com/)

Sgt Leprechaun
07-12-09, 11:17 PM
He may have just left it off inadvertently. Remember those are 'build a rack' photos you have to plug in the right stuff.

Mine (below) doesn't show everything I rate either.

Petz
07-12-09, 11:31 PM
show-off.... :D

Sgt Leprechaun
07-12-09, 11:38 PM
LOL. You got plenty. I can recall the days (when we wore armor...***** to polish...never mind...) when if a Marine had 3 ribbons he was a 'stud'. I had 3 ribbons (MUC, GCM, SSDR) plus jump wings, rifle/pistol badges and people in 87 thought I was some kinda war hero. LOL. Oh, how times have changed, haven't they?

Devil Dmax
07-13-09, 09:59 PM
He may have just left it off inadvertently. Remember those are 'build a rack' photos you have to plug in the right stuff.

Ahh ok. Thats my bust Sgt. I just get a kick out of all the people that the ribbons didnt add up quite right but I just thaught maybe I was told wrong. Thanks for the info on that signature dealy

Sgt Leprechaun
07-13-09, 10:40 PM
No, no, no worries. Valid question to ask.

Brent2651
07-19-09, 06:46 PM
I was wondering if this picture was right. I mean the last my S1 said, we are getting the ICM and Overseas ribbon. Why doesnt this 'Cpl'? I could be wrong and when I get home I will know for sure. this was his pic coppied and pasted. http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member7579.png (http://militarysignatures.com/)

I remember reading something about it online but I do not have the reference to cite. If he rates, it will likely be the SSDR, not the Overseas Ribbon (just a guess, as I cannot recall the details of what I read), and his records will eventually update to reflect it.

Brent2651
07-19-09, 06:50 PM

I discovered that these ribbon rack builders are a little out-of-whack anyway, especially when you've crossed services. I left one of my ribbons off because it appears in the wrong order of precedence. Silly reason I know, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. Bad enough my SSDR is out of place, but I wasn't going to leave that one off.

josephd
10-01-09, 05:28 AM
Ok so I am still pretty confused on the criteria for this award.

One description I just read off Wikipedia said that reservists rate this award after being with their unit for 3 months or the standard 30 consecutive active days/60 non-consecutive.

Trying to get my blues ready for the ball next month and needing to know if I am going to rate this or not. Spoke with a few others from my unit and they believe I rate it along with them according to that criteria..??...

any help or update to this would be very much appreciated

Petz
10-01-09, 12:28 PM
don't use wiki for medals.

go do a search in the maradmins.

better yet, email your Plt Sgt and have him/her find out.

dizark
10-02-09, 01:38 AM
If your Marine Online shows that you have it under Awards, then you rate and can wear it. However, I always thought it was 30 days at our unit, but my friends and I from comm school all have it under our MOL Awards section along with the National Defense and we've only been here a little over a week.

Petz
10-02-09, 01:47 AM
If your Marine Online shows that you have it under Awards, then you rate and can wear it. However, I always thought it was 30 days at our unit, but my friends and I from comm school all have it under our MOL Awards section along with the National Defense and we've only been here a little over a week.

MOL is not always accurate and his S-1 would have had to put him in for it. If he rates it and his unit didn't put in for it then you see why he's asking.

as I said, ask/email your Plt Sgt and he'll find out for you. There's a chain-of-command for a reason just like he is put in that billet to answer your admin questions and take care of those issues.

dizark
10-02-09, 02:00 AM
I didn't realize S-1 put in for it. I apologize for the lack of proper information. Thank you SSgt.

Petz
10-02-09, 02:02 AM
Semper learn Marine. ;D

everything in MOL is controled by 3270 and entered by S-1.

well, training and such is done by your training and well... crap, all your S-shops enter what their supposed to enter at any given time for what ever reason.

and after it's updated it takes about a day and MOL get's updated. I think they have a "updated such-an-such date" on there somewhere now.

bowin
05-10-10, 10:14 AM
LOL. You got plenty. I can recall the days (when we wore armor...***** to polish...never mind...) when if a Marine had 3 ribbons he was a 'stud'. I had 3 ribbons (MUC, GCM, SSDR) plus jump wings, rifle/pistol badges and people in 87 thought I was some kinda war hero. LOL. Oh, how times have changed, haven't they?
Same here , when I went in in 88 there were people who had been in 6 to 8 years and all they had was a good cookie and maybe a sea service deployment , and maybe a Navy achievement medal .

AdminAssassin
02-26-11, 10:42 AM
Deployments to Bahrain this year qualify for either one?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 06:09 PM
Likely the GWOTEM.

josephd
02-28-11, 07:32 PM
Deployments to Bahrain this year qualify for either one?

a deployment that doesn't rate a campaign medal will get you the GWOT expeditionary medal. The Service medal is an automatic award once you have been in service for specific period of time, which I would imagine being that your a Lance you should rate.

So to answer your question, yes you'll qualify for both

jiadongpeng
07-01-11, 02:18 AM
First of all, I introduce yourself that Jesse, today I just joined here, I was just a working person, do not have what experience, hope can and everybody mutual communication, give me some Suggestions, thank you:no::yes:

Coach Shoes (http://www.coachoutletshophandbags.com/16-Coach-Shoes)
Coach Wallets (http://www.coachoutletshophandbags.com/9-Coach-Wallets)
Coach Handbags (http://www.coachoutletshophandbags.com/3-Coach-Handbags)

UMDStudent24
09-25-11, 06:37 PM
This may or may not be a silly question, but from any admin guys out there, I need a little clarification...

According to the MARADMIN;

"NO MARINE WILL QUALIFY FOR THIS AWARD
SIMPLY BY BEING ON ACTIVE DUTY ON OR AFTER 11 SEP 01. MARINES MUST
MEET THE CRITERIA OUTLINED IN THIS MARADMIN, AND BE APPROVED FOR THE AWARD. MARINES MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR MOBILIZED, IN CONUS OR OVERSEAS, TO A UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR IN SUPPORT OF (INCLUDING INDIRECT SUPPORT) APPROVED OPERATIONS FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE, OR 60 NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS..."

and it further clarifies,

" DUE TO THE INDEFINITE NATURE OF TERRORISM AND ITS GLOBAL
EXPANSE, THERE IS NO PRECISE MEASURE OR STANDARD OF PARTICIPATION OR SUPPORT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY THAT QUALIFIES A UNIT OR INDIVIDUAL FOR THIS AWARD. THEREFORE, PER PARAGRAPH 4(E), THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS (CMC) APPROVES THE GWOTSM FOR THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS AND ORGANIZATIONS: HQMC, ALL OPERATING FORCES, SUPPORTING ESTABLISHMENTS, AND EXTERNAL ELEMENTS THAT MEET THE ELIGIBILITYCRITERIA OUTLINED IN PARAGRAPH 3"

I served 58 consecutive days at an Officer Selection Office (PTAD) before I attended TBS.

Would this period of service make me eligible for the award? Is recruiting duty not eligible?

The MARADMIN further clarifies,

"MARINES IN INITIAL ACCESSION TRAINING OR FOLLOW-ON MOS TRAINING DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE GWOTSM UNDER THIS AUTHORITY (E.G., RECRUITS, OFFICER CANDIDATES, STUDENTS AT THE SCHOOL OF INFANTRY OR THE BASIC SCHOOL, STUDENT NAVAL AVIATORS, ETC). ELIGIBILITY BEGINS ONCE A MARINE IS ASSIGNED TO HIS/HER FIRST UNIT SUBSEQUENT TO ALL INITIAL TRAINING."

So, even if the PTAD qualified, would I be ineligible because I have not yet completed TBS and flight school?

Am I not eligible for the award at all until I've completed flight school, regardless of what else happens?

Any response is appreciated.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-11, 05:28 PM
I would say you are correct, in that you are not eligible for the award as of yet, and once you complete flight school and THEN report to an FMF unit, your 'clock' will begin.

UMDStudent24
10-01-11, 08:00 PM
I would say you are correct, in that you are not eligible for the award as of yet, and once you complete flight school and THEN report to an FMF unit, your 'clock' will begin.

Thanks for the response Sergeant. I appreciate it. :)

Sgt Leprechaun
10-01-11, 08:15 PM
Roger that sir. And, you never know, keep checking your MOL, it may just show up one day and you'll be like, "WTF" LOL.

0844Navarro
12-01-12, 10:15 PM
Don't mean to bring up an old post, but I just wanted to know if this award is still being handed out?

Spears
12-02-12, 01:23 PM
Yes

cue606
02-08-13, 10:01 AM
This is ridiculous, that's what the national defense medal and the expeditionary medal used to be for? They should've just made a global war on terror campaign medal.

ChuckH
02-08-13, 11:09 AM
National Defense Service Medal
Background
This medal was authorized by Executive Order 10448, April 22, 1953, and amended by Executive Order 11256, Jan. 11, 1966.

Criteria
It is awarded for honorable active military service as a member of the armed forces of the United States including the Coast Guard, between June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1954, (Korean War), between Jan. 1, 1961 and Aug. 14, 1974, (Vietnam War), between Aug. 2, 1990 to Nov. 30, 1995 (operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm), and currently from Sept. 11, 2001 to a date to be determined (terrorism attacks on the United States). Service members who earned the medal during the first qualifying period, and who again became entitled to the medal, wear a bronze star on the ribbon to denote the second award of the medal.

Medal Description
The medal was designed by the Army of Heraldic Section. The obverse shows the American bald eagle perched on a sword and palm. Above this, in a semicircle, is the inscription "National Defense." The reverse shows a shield, as it appears in the Great Seal of the United States; it is half encircled below with an oak leaf to the left and laurel spray to the right knotted in the center.

Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOTEM)
Is a United States armed forces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_armed_forces) military award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_milita ry) created by George W. Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush) on March 12, 2003 by Executive Order 13289.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_War_on_Terrorism_Expeditionary_Medal#cite_n ote-1) It recognizes those military service members who have deployed overseas in direct service to the War on Terror (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Terror) from September 11, 2001 to a date to be determined. Prior to April 30, 2005 the medal was awarded for service within Iraq and Afghanistan, but has been replaced with the Iraq Campaign Medal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Campaign_Medal) and Afghanistan Campaign Medal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Campaign_Medal) and now serves primarily as recognition for personnel who have deployed in support of the War on Terror to locations beyond Iraq and Afghanistan.

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM)
Is a military award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_States_milita ry) of the United States military (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military), which was first created in 1961 by Executive Order of President John Kennedy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy). The medal is awarded for participation in "any military campaign of the United States for which no other service medal is authorized." Additional awards of the medal are denoted by service stars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_stars), with the arrowhead device (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowhead_device) also authorized for United States Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) personnel who are awarded the medal through participation in an airborne or amphibious assault. The Fleet Marine Force combat operation insignia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_operation_insignia) is also authorized for certain sailors.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_Expeditionary_Medal#cite_note-1)