PDA

View Full Version : Meritorious Promotion board?

DobbinsBlythe
02-08-08, 08:33 AM
Ok, So yesterday I found out David's going to be put up for one...

How do they work? Is it by nomination? Is there stuff he needs to study? This is a brand new area for me.

(Just when I THOUGHT I had a pretty good idea bout military life.. -- 21 years as a military brat, and 1.2 years as a military wife....)

Please help!

God Bless!

kaboom1371
02-08-08, 08:39 AM
hope this helps you.

http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/1E5F569169CE5310852570AB00735F57?opendocument

DobbinsBlythe
02-08-08, 08:55 AM
That's really good info! Thank you!

kaboom1371
02-08-08, 04:11 PM
anytime, Hope he does well and gets his promotion.

thewookie
02-08-08, 05:10 PM
He better study, and have a little luck in him because it's very competitive. It took me 4 times to finally win a meritorious Corporal board. Although I lost the meritorious promotion the weekend before I was due to get pinned due to a fight with the duty NCO in the barracks (you'll never win fighting the duty NCO.) So instead of getting pinned on the second, they gave it to me on the first, TIG/TIS.

Artemis
02-08-08, 05:16 PM
It also depends on how many people he is competeing with and how many slots are open. Current events is a big on boards from what I remember and that was just 3 years ago that I was on my last one. Tell him good luck and to maintain his bearing no matter what.

Zulu 36
02-08-08, 07:43 PM
Merit promotions boards are interesting, nerve racking, and still a bit fun. I stood two for meritorious corporal as the VMA-211 nominee and made it the second time. My boards were really big on Marine knowledge, history, and current events.

As I was in Vietnam for these boards, Marine knowledge was really hit hard. Although, I was told by my first sergeant that the difference between first and second place on both of my boards hinged on Marine Corps history questions.

There was only one corporal slot available for the whole air group both times (MAG-12) and we had an infantry company attached who was in on the board too.

My board consisted of all of the group's first sergeants and the group sergeant major. Tough room. My first sergeant had been a recon Marine, so he didn't toss me any softballs.

Every board is a little bit different in makeup and each unit runs theirs a little different than others. As mine was an air group, there were aviation types, grunts, motor transport (me), Remington raiders, and other MOSs standing up, so the questions had to be less MOS specific than if, say, the infantry company was allowed to run their own board.

LeonardLawrence
02-08-08, 08:07 PM
Great Information above.

Also appearance, bearing is a high priority. I went to a Meritorious board. I had a Corporal pull me aside after and ream me out. Best advice I ever received and I carried it through my career.

Some of the questions asked can be challenging to say the least. I was asked one and rather than a professional response, I immediately stated that "I have no idea, SSGT". It was a boot answer and it cost me an extra year to make Corporal as a result...all of us had the same questions right, but the military bearing took the prize.

Good luck to him! and you!

DobbinsBlythe
02-08-08, 08:58 PM
Ouch, lots of advice from experience! Thanks for all the info. I'll make sure he's all squared away. I have a good Marine in my household, so I'm sure he'll do fine. He made Corporal before his two year mark. (October 1 promotion, Feb 12 is his two-year)

He's always on the up and ups when it comes to what's going on in the world, but I'll make sure he pays special attention to the things he may have forgotten from Boot Camp.

Thanks again for EVERYTHING!

God Bless

thewookie
02-09-08, 06:56 AM
My problem was at the time I was Motor T, in a Grunt battalion and they didn't ask any Motor T questions so it took me some time. I was thinking about it a little more last night,,

1st time - lost at company level
2nd time - won company, lost at battalion
3rd time - won company, lost at battalion
4th time - won company, won battalion, lost regimental (still got the Bn. quota for Cpl)

And the rest is history, instead of meritorious Cpl., my stupidity resulted in a page 11 entry for being disrespectful to an NCO (the Duty) but, like I said I still got it the same month, only a day sooner.

As the others have mentioned bearing is critical, especially when he doesn't know the answer,,they told us to say "I do not know the answer to that question at this time, but I will find out and report back to you". They will stump him, they have so many possible questions to ask him, so his bearing, his PFT and rifle scores plus pro and cons, and what's already in his book is just as important as the actual ability to recite knowledge.

DobbinsBlythe
02-10-08, 08:11 AM
wow......

I'm excited about this. :D Since MOS school he's got either 4.8/4.8 or 4.7/4.7. Never anything below, he still has a first class PFT and his rifle scores are awesome. He just got his second expert award.

I'm going to study just so I can quiz him hahaha!

DobbinsBlythe
02-12-08, 10:48 PM
I just found out that there may not be a board.. and that he may have just been "nominated" or "recommended" to be promoted to Sgt. Evidentally you have to be "submitted" to have any sort of consideration promotion-wise.

Is that what it sounds like to you guys? He really doesn't know if there will be a board or not. Now I'm thoroughly confused... YAY!

:D

thewookie
02-12-08, 10:57 PM
Really anything is possible, if the Battalion or unit has a number of quotas for Sergeant and they don't want to, or can't run a board then the command has every right to pin him if he's been "nominated". Or he could have been nominated at the company level but he still has to go to a Battalion board? Semper Gumby

DobbinsBlythe
02-12-08, 11:00 PM
I don't think he's really assigned to any BN. Here at CENTCOM everything is joint.. essentially he does all his paperwork through MARCENT, but his shop supervisor is an AF SSgt. His shop senior NCO is an AF MSgt... and essentially is "CO" is an Army O-6?

It's so confusing to not really be around the fleet. It's nice to live here.. kinda, but the lack of structure around this base boggles my mind.

thewookie
02-12-08, 11:11 PM
Well, if whatever unit he's with has Sgt quotas then he might just get pinned without a board. Good luck

DobbinsBlythe
02-13-08, 06:40 AM
WOW! :D I'm getting excited hahaha.

Thanks again for all your help!

Matt Brzycki
02-13-08, 07:17 AM
I was nominated for meritorious promotion to sergeant back in Nov 77 at what was then MCB 29 Palms. First hadda go in front of a board from my unit. Didn't get past that. Rightfully so as I was ill-prepared for the questions. Good experience, though. I was put up again two months later and made it. I seem to recall a lot of general Marine Corps questions and others unrelated to my MOS. I remember one general question was who I respected most in our unit and why.

I did hear a really funny anecdote from a friend of mine who was in the motor pool, Sgt Ronnie Keaton from Arkansas. (You out there, man?) Ronnie said that when he went up for a meritorious promotion, he was asked if he could drive an M112 or something or other. He said, "Yes sir!" which drew a few chuckles from the board. The guy who asked the question then informed him that an M112 (or whatever) was a water buffalo. Then, Ronnie stated, "Sir, a Marine can do anything." Needless to say, that response earned him a promotion.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

DobbinsBlythe
02-13-08, 07:59 PM
So tonight, while discussing meritorious promotions with the Marine of the house, he stated that he has the best wife ever.. because of my "unrelenting" (I don't know if that's good or bad) support.. and went on to tell me about a friend of his:

This particular friend used to be running neck and neck for promotions on time and ahead of others.. but recently has gotten himself in a rutt. He has poor performance, tries to get out of everything as much as possible, and has had MCIs laying around for months on end. My husband told me that his lack of motivation is probably directly related to the fact that he spends so much time away from his wife, who doesn't really understand the nature of military life and responsibilities. When she does have the chance to move back to be with him, things might be different, especially when she understands what he has to do to get ahead.. or even caught up.

It makes me think.. and realize to a deeper note that the things I am doing right now are the things that help keep my husband motivated and moving along the right track. Please, if my questions at anytime or place start to get too overwhelming (as in too many), remember that I'm just trying to support my husband the best way I know how. A prepared Marine is a good Marine. That's what I think.. and the prepared wife is the ultimate tool for a prepared Marine. :D

I appreciate all the help everyone's given me in being a more prepared USMC spouse. I hope to learn everything I can.

Phantom Blooper
02-13-08, 08:15 PM
Being the season of love.....this just makes me all warm and fuzzy!

Good luck to your Marine husband!:evilgrin:

DobbinsBlythe
02-13-08, 08:17 PM
OMG.. I forgot tomorrow was V-day. Oh no...

What do you get a Marine for Valentine's day?

Phantom Blooper
02-13-08, 08:18 PM
TMI....:banana:

DobbinsBlythe
02-13-08, 08:26 PM
:: cough ::

Other than that. You always know that cards and flowers and candies and stuff like that work for girls... but what do you get a Marine?

The "TMI" stuff.. that's not a gift. LOL

Wyoming
02-13-08, 08:38 PM

Other than that. You always know that cards and flowers and candies and stuff like that work for girls... but what do you get a Marine?

It always was from my 1st wife.

Lasted 93 days.

Bisch!!

LeonardLawrence
02-13-08, 11:16 PM

BELT FED WEAPONS!:cool: :D

davblay
02-14-08, 12:06 AM
OMG.. I forgot tomorrow was V-day. Oh no...

What do you get a Marine for Valentine's day?
A 6 pack of beer and a sheep herders sandwich, Always worked for me! LMAO! :marine:

Dave

DobbinsBlythe
02-14-08, 06:15 AM
BELT FED WEAPONS!:cool: :D

wow.. under the $500 range...

Besides, he already has a TON of weapons. I'm so at a loss...

Food works right?

Phantom Blooper
02-14-08, 06:38 AM
ZIPPER fed weapons are much cheaper Leonard and are more fun!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Isrowei
02-14-08, 04:47 PM
I just found out that there may not be a board.. and that he may have just been "nominated" or "recommended" to be promoted to Sgt. Evidentally you have to be "submitted" to have any sort of consideration promotion-wise.

Is that what it sounds like to you guys? He really doesn't know if there will be a board or not. Now I'm thoroughly confused... YAY!

:D

I believe that you're referring to the recommendation for promotion. Every Marine that is eligible by TIG/TIS requirements (regardless of cutting score) has to either be recommended or not recommended for promotion by their senior. For most Marines, they don't even think about it. However, it is a tool that the leadership has to make sure only the most qualified Marines are able to be promoted. Non-rec requires justification and a page 11 entry however, so it's not a light measure by any means.

DobbinsBlythe
02-14-08, 08:27 PM
I believe that you're referring to the recommendation for promotion. Every Marine that is eligible by TIG/TIS requirements (regardless of cutting score) has to either be recommended or not recommended for promotion by their senior. For most Marines, they don't even think about it. However, it is a tool that the leadership has to make sure only the most qualified Marines are able to be promoted. Non-rec requires justification and a page 11 entry however, so it's not a light measure by any means.

What do you mean by Non-rec and light measures?
You're confusing me a little. I know that the suggestion that someone thinks my husband is deserving of a promotion to Sgt is DEFINATELY not a light matter. I'm super excited that he's being acknowledged. Anyway, please enlighten me. This is the most detail I've really gotten.. other than the info about the Marine Corps knowledge and bearing.

Oh yeah, and to update everyone, he's deploying next month :(

Only 90 days though.. and I can't say exactly when hehe.. Yay for OPSEC!

SlingerDun
02-14-08, 08:43 PM
What do you get a Marine for Valentine's day?...Food works right?Yeah it works to plug a hole in an empty belly for a couple of hours. But a gift certificate from Danner boots should last about one year:yes:

--->Dave

DobbinsBlythe
02-14-08, 08:51 PM
Eh, suggestions are too late at this point haha. I got him some cheesecake and a card and some chocolate dipped strawberries... and some champange... that he can have when he's off duty again. :D

LeonardLawrence
02-14-08, 11:29 PM
ZIPPER fed weapons are much cheaper Leonard and are more fun!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Ssgt,

I won't argue, but for some of us it's debatable...and I stand by MA DEUCE (50 cal machine gun) as the ultimate Valentines Day gift.

Besides, What woman could give you a 6 to 9 round burst and last all day?? ;)

Phantom Blooper
02-15-08, 04:10 AM
Very few Leonard.....I would have to agree...however it is sometimes nice to change barrels to keep them from overheating and melting....and the old rifleman cliche....."One well aimed round" is all that counts!:beer:

DobbinsBlythe
02-15-08, 06:26 AM
Ok, so here's an update ...

Last night while we got our.. hour to talk before he went in for the conference (11pm to 9 am today) he mentioned something about MECEP. I know that's the Mustang program...

He asked how I felt about it, and I said I'd support him through anything.. which is true, but I'd really like to know more about it. Anyone know? Or should I post a new thread?

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 10:27 PM
http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

You have it right as usual SSGT..... :beer:

HardCharger0621
01-14-09, 04:20 PM
I was told about a ?paper review board? where the individual up for meritorious promotion submits a paper with all the relevant stats. on it and stands by for results? how does this work and what kind of information would go on this paper? Thanks for any input!

Zulu 36
01-14-09, 05:11 PM
I've heard of boards that required some sort of essay on a military topic, but that was in addition to standing in front of them so they could see you sweat blood while answering their questions. <br />

SgtQuattlebaumJ
01-15-09, 06:59 AM
Hey there devil, I believe what you are talking about may be what we know as a Book Board to promote meritoriously within the command. That usually happens in the operating forces where there are...

APX7000
02-11-09, 11:28 AM
They, the promotion board, are hard and he needs to knows his stuff, from weaons to Marines Corps history. I remember my Platoon commander telling me that I was going up to the board for promotiom to Sgt."You better get it, or your is grass." it was hard but i beat 25 other E-4s I got it. Study and look sharp. he will be going against a group of other sharp Marines. Good luck to him.

MotivatedWarDog
04-29-09, 04:29 AM
Good Afternoon All,

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find material to study for a Corporal Board. I am going up on one monday, and i was just told what i needed to get ready Tuesday.

Lucky for me i had a in side birdy who told me last week that i would be going up on it.

The recommended topics i got to study where

Land Nav / NBC / Interior guard UCMJ / Customs & Courtesies / M.C. Ldrshp

But the only place i can think of to look for this information is the stuff in the green monster from bootcamp, can anyone help steer me in the right direction, i saw a link eariler in this thread but it didn't work for me.

DobbinsBlythe
04-29-09, 12:48 PM
I remember in the Open Forum there was a promotion board common question posting... could be in the poolee forums.. um, I'll try to look and see if I can't find it..

DobbinsBlythe
04-29-09, 01:01 PM
http://leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64381&highlight=Meritorious+Corporal+board

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78054&highlight=promotion+board

That's all I could find for now... but I know for sure that here was something in open squad bay sometime around 2006-ish and it was all about questions that could be on meritorious promotion boards....

>.<

Chumley
04-29-09, 01:39 PM
MotivatedWarDog,

Good luck on your Board!! Start off with the easy stuff. Be Confident not arrogant. Appearance needs to be perfect...recommend that you spit shine (& edge dress) patent leather shoes rather than coraframs (sp?) - You will stand out as someone who went the extra distance. All the obvious items, of course - fresh haircut, Irish Pennents, ribbons / badges PERFECT, etc. I'm assuming you'll be in either green Charlies or Alphas? If Charlies or Bravos, wear as many shirt stays as is needed to make sure your shirt / blouses are perfect.

Second - Bearing: I won a Board once and this happened...they had a chair for me to sit. At the end of the Board, as I stood and was dismissed, I was too close to the chair. I stepped back, about faced, and kicked the chair into the wall. I didn't let it stop my movement, and continued to step off without looking around like a dumb-fvck and left. I didn't lose my bearing, that's what mattered in the end. NOTE: When dismissed, and especially if there is a chair for you, step forward and halt or one side-step to the side. THEN step back away from the Board, about face, and Exit Stage Left. Just like you were Dismissed at Boot. Essentially, you should just about march when you enter / exit.

Knowledge questions can be about anything Marine Corps: your MOS, USMC History, Weapons, rank structure, Drill, Current events in the news, Chain of Command, MCIs, MCMAP, PFT/CFT. Your SRB / page 11s and personal history is also fair game...if you came in with some sort of waiver, they may just ask about it.

You will usually have SCNO's and a Senior SNCO E8 or E9 leading, but don't be thrown if it's all E8s or E9s, or if your XO/CO are there...be ready to answer to a Board of Generals and you will not be caught off guard.

If you brush up on the "History Question" Thread on LEATHERNECK you will find a quick source of a variety of basics that might help you out. This whole wwebsite has sooo much on it... I was asked about Navy Rank Structure too...see the History Question Thread.

If you don't know the answer to a question, just state that fact...Don't flounder around and if you make a guess, be affirmative in your tone...don't make it sound like a half-azzzed guess.

Look the Board member that you are answering directly in the eye like you can see through him/her. Do that anyways. :mad:

Before you leave, Thank them for the opportunity you have been given, then be dismissed. You may think that you failed miserably, but you don't know how well the others did, so keep your head up when you miss some questions.

Good luck!! I won 8 of 10 Boards I stood on.
Semper Fidelis
E-4 920602
Chumley

MotivatedWarDog
05-09-09, 01:15 AM
Hello EVeryone,

thank you for the advice i'm halfway there. I took the board at my unit level but now i need to go up to the next level to actually get the warrent itself. Some things they commented on about us was, our knowledge level was average. But the main thing i am worried about for me is how much my nervousness showed to the members of teh board, i won but they said i had to work on my bearing, not to be discouraged if i get a question wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work on that ?

Zulu 36
05-09-09, 09:04 AM
Hello EVeryone,

thank you for the advice i'm halfway there. I took the board at my unit level but now i need to go up to the next level to actually get the warrent itself. Some things they commented on about us was, our knowledge level was average. But the main thing i am worried about for me is how much my nervousness showed to the members of teh board, i won but they said i had to work on my bearing, not to be discouraged if i get a question wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work on that ?

It's tough not to be nervous, but it's also normal. The trick is to learn to submerge your nervousness and that has to be learned through practice and some mental exercises.

Get some friends to stage some practice boards for you. Have them come up with really hard questions. Study your knowledge deeper, especially since you now have an idea what is an "average" knowledge level.

When you know your knowledge levels are deep, confidence takes over and the nervousness submerges. When you do get an answer wrong, you have to adopt an internal attitude of "Oh, well, on to the next." and forget about the past. Concentrate on the question in front of you at that moment, not the one you blew a minute earlier. The only way to fix it is to get the remaining questions correctly answered.