PDA

View Full Version : Medical Issues in Basic Training

oliviarae
02-08-08, 12:31 AM
Hello!

A little distraught after I got my last letter from my guy down in basic training, he's been down there for a little over a month now and he's been sick the entire time. He wrote that he went to medical and they told him he has pneumonia, gave him some meds, and put him on light duty for a while. Does this mean that he will be delayed in graduation? He said that he had to stay out of a couple things, something about log rolling.

He's pretty tough about being sick usually so it's hard for me to even imagine something like that happening, but do you any of you Marines have any idea of what happens with medical issues like that? Is it common for guys to get pneumonia?

LeonardLawrence
02-08-08, 12:39 AM
Welcome Oliviarae,

It is not uncommon for a recruit to 'sit out' of a training evolution due to an injury or illness that is temporary. If he is put on light duty, he most likely will be with his platoon unless there is a belief he won't get better soon, in which case they would delay his training while he recovers.

I wouldn't worry about it and keep the letters to him going...they give strength and motivation ;)

SlingerDun
02-08-08, 12:49 AM
He wrote that he went to medical and they told him he has pneumonia, gave him some meds, and put him on light duty for a while. Does this mean that he will be delayed in graduation?Not likely if he isn't extensively bed ridden, but walking and cleaning the squad bay while the others are out bustin their hump. He is currently whats known as a sickbay or light duty commando
He said that he had to stay out of a couple things, something about log rollingHe's now whats known__fair or not__to the rest of the platoon as a "skate" and if he's got heart it will p iss him off and he'll get healthy soon. I may have had Pneumonia but it was diagnosed with others as the flu so we just suffered and lost weight. I assure you it aint no fun being sick in boot camp bringing up the rear as healthier guys are falling out.

--->Dave

oliviarae
02-13-08, 04:30 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

I received a letter from Jon on Monday. They actually put him on bed rest for a day, to speed the clearing of his lungs, and they told him that if he didn't pass for full duty the next day that he would get dropped to an MRP and would be delayed in graduation. But he passed and is back on full duty now, and it sounds like he's really eager to catch up with the other guys. Thanks again for your responses! :banana: