PDA

View Full Version : Serviceman loses Iraq memories in theft

thedrifter
02-07-08, 08:01 AM
Serviceman loses Iraq memories in theft

By: BECKY SHAY - The Gazette Staff

BILLINGS (LEE)-- The theft of Air Force Staff Sgt. Robert Wetzel's laptop computer doesn't mean much to the Iraqi veteran.

It's the stolen part of his life that is stored on that computer that gets to him.

"It was stealing an entire year away from me," he said.

"The computer, it's a slap on the hand," Wetzel said. "The memories, the pictures, it's a slap on the heart."

Wetzel, 23, did a year tour in Iraq and was home in Billings in time for Thanksgiving with his large family. He returned to F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne for several weeks and came back to Billings in mid-January, en route to his next assignment at Fairchild Air Force Base in Spokane, Wash.

During his vacation, Wetzel literally lived out of his car - leaving his belongings in the dark older Mercedes he drives while spending nights at the homes of his family members here.

Last Friday, Wetzel went to work out at Billings Athletic Club. It was a good morning, and he got to visit with his brother and sister-in-law while there. About 9:30 a.m., as Wetzel was leaving, a man came into the facility and said to call the police, a car had just been broken into.

Wetzel, who is with the Air Force security force, said his first thought was that the car owner needed help. He asked what kind of car it was. A Mercedes, the man said. Wetzel was on a dead sprint out of the building.

His car, which has veteran's license plates, was locked and the laptop was on the floor behind the passenger seat. Someone broke the rear passenger side window and took the Toshiba notebook. Nothing else was missing.

"All theft is wrong," Wetzel said. "But this hit close to home because it was my life in Iraq. For some stranger, some thief, to have a new laptop."

The files on the computer included photos and the memorials of two men from his unit who were killed in Iraq and of about nine others who were injured seriously enough to be sent home. It included photos of Iraqi children delighted with gifts of soccer balls from airmen.

And now they're all gone.

"It's a pinprick," Wetzel said. "But it's right on the heart."

Other items on the computer included his citations for the Army Commendation Medal, the highest award Wetzel received while in Iraq, and for the Air Force Combat Action Medal.

Wetzel said the crime, which the Billings Police Department investigated, made him question some core beliefs: Is this country, where your neighbors can so heartlessly steal from you, worth fighting for? What kind of person is he, who initially wanted retribution from the thief?

"It's a petty crime, but it shakes your foundation," he said. "It ignited a little seed of distrust of American strangers."

That distrust was planted when working with Iraqi police, Wetzel said. He acknowledges pride in helping train Iraqi police with the 732nd Expeditionary Security Forces and helping them take responsibility for their country. But Wetzel also said there was an ongoing concern about those officers' loyalty and their ability to compromise his and his unit's safety.

"It really does push judgment onto people here," he said.

Wetzel surrounded himself with family and friends and is overcoming the break in his trust and confidence.

A close friend made a CD of all the photos Wetzel had sent him from Iraq and another friend will keep tabs on the investigation. His parents, three brothers and their wives, and 11 nieces and nephews are staying close.

"Iraq taught me how fragile and beautiful life is," he said.

Looking back on it, Wetzel even finds trust stemming from the unknown man who ran into the club and reported the car break-in. Billings police officers were professional and courteous and are doing all they can, he said.

"There are good people in this town, and the support I received proved how good of a town this is," he said. "I do remember why I signed up."

Wetzel has two years of active duty service left. During that time he will return to the war, Wetzel said.

Ellie