PDA

View Full Version : First-grader rewarded for turning in lost money

thedrifter
02-06-08, 07:31 PM
First-grader rewarded for turning in lost money

By Leann Sulzen

February 5, 2008

When first-grader Zachary Toburen found $120 on the grass at the Mize Elementary School PTA carnival, he first thought about what he could buy with it.

“I thought it was cool,” he said. “I wanted to buy a four-wheeler.”

But Zachary didn’t buy a four-wheeler. Not even a toy version.

“You wanted to take it home didn’t you?” his mother Elizabeth Toburen asked him. “But then Daddy said that is not what Cub Scouts do.”

So Zachary turned in the money and was told if nobody claimed it, it would be his.

However, Zachary had another idea. He decided to donate it to the Marines.

Zachary loves the movie “Pearl Harbor” and his uncle Steve is with the Army in Iraq.

“With his dad being in the Army at one time and his uncle being in the Army, he is quite fond of the Army that is for sure,” Elizabeth said.

But Zachary decided he liked donating the money to the Marines better.

“Because if they are really close to a dock and then a torpedo comes and hits it like Pearl Harbor they could get on the ship in a hurry and pay for the repairs,” he said.

Zachary was recognized for his donation during the first-grade music assembly Thursday at Mize.

“Every now and then we like to recognize when someone does something really great,” Principal Pam Hargrove told her students during the assembly. “Because Zachary was being so selfless, in one envelope we decided to put $20 and this envelope says reward for outstanding character to Zachary Toburen.”

After Zachary received the reward, he started thinking about what he would spend the money on — toys and tools.

“I pretty much want to buy all the tools, all the gears and stuff like that for cars,” he said.

“I’m glad I turned it in.”

Ellie