PDA

View Full Version : Midland man receives Purple Heart

thedrifter
02-06-08, 07:21 PM
02/06/2008
Midland man receives Purple Heart
By Angela E. Lackey

Sgt. Jarrod Atha received quite a surprise Monday -- a Purple Heart.

"Christmas does come in February," said Rep. Dave Camp, R-Midland, as he presented the Midland Marine with his medal.

"Thank you so much," Atha, 23, said. "I had no idea this was going to happen."

It was a hard secret to keep. Atha thought he and Camp were meeting to talk about getting the Purple Heart.

"Apparently I'm more convincing than I realized," said his wife, Erin Atha, 24.

Atha was with the 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines out of Camp Pendleton, Calif. when he was injured in Iraq on Dec. 15, 2005, after his Humvee drove over two anti-tank mines. He was burned and injured by shrapnel during the incident; he is now fully recovered.

Atha is a 2003 Bay City Western High School graduate. He left for the Marines on graduation day. He was deployed to Iraq twice -- March through October 2004 and July 2005 through February 2006.

"I joined the Marines because they were the best," he said. "I wanted to be the best."
Advertisement

Atha's parents, Robert and Connie Atha of Bay City, were part of a small group of family members there to see him get the Purple Heart. They briefly talked about what it was like to know their son was in harm's way every day.

"I prayed a lot," Connie Atha said. "I knew he was well-trained, and I was hoping his training would get him through the worst."

"It's a hard way to earn it," Robert Atha said of the Purple Heart. "It's hard for him and it's hard on the parents."

The Athas said they avoided watching news out of Iraq, fearing they might see their son injured or killed.

Erin Atha said she leaned on her family for support during her husband's two deployments. She recalled a time of waiting for phone calls and e-mails.

"You do your day-to-day activities," she said.

Atha was denied the Purple Heart twice because of incomplete paperwork. Camp has been working to secure Atha's award since July 2007.

"It was clear he deserved it," Camp said. "It was really about making the right thing happen."

Erin Atha agreed.

"I'm so proud of him," she said. "I'm so proud."

Ellie