PDA

View Full Version : Scout/Sniper Platoon

olscout
02-06-08, 01:12 PM
There is a book out called Ronin about a Marine Scout /Sniper Platoon in Iraq. Anyone read it yet ?

Semper Fi olscout

olscout
02-14-08, 06:16 PM
I do believe I'll buy it and read it .Always curious how Scout/Sniper platoons deal with urban warfare.

Semper Fi,

olscout

olscout
02-17-08, 11:07 PM
Another book I have just came across .Author name of Bellavia I believe .
Snipers in urban fighting of Iraq .

Semper Fi ,

olscout

mgkusmc
03-05-08, 06:30 PM
Theres also the book out called "Shooter" (not the book of the movie) its about Jack Coughlin during his tour in Iraq with a sniper platoon in 3/4 very good read.

olscout
03-06-08, 12:35 AM
Thanks Kirby for the recommend. I have read that one and you are correct , it is very good.

Riven37
03-06-08, 07:31 AM
I was watching Discovery channel last night that future weapons section, and say the new The M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System will be ready for Iraq by 2009.

olscout
03-06-08, 08:13 AM
That is interesting . I looked it up . It is a .308 based on the AR 10 ? It will be interesting to see how the rifle proves out .

Riven37
03-06-08, 08:56 AM
Here

In service 2007-present
Wars War in Afghanistan, War in Iraq
Production history
Manufacturer Knight's Armament Company
Specifications
Weight 6.94 kg (15.3 lb) with scope, bipod, and a loaded 20-round magazine
Length 1,029 mm (40.5 in) (buttstock fully compressed),
1,181 mm (46.5 in) (buttstock fully compressed and suppressor attached)
Barrel length 508 mm (20 in)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartridge 7.62x51mm NATO
Action Gas-operated, rotating bolt
Rate of fire Semi-automatic
Muzzle velocity 783 m/s (~2,571 ft/s)
Effective range 800-1,000 m
Feed system 10 or 20-round detachable box magazine

olscout
03-06-08, 10:30 AM
Thats it . Good research Riven37 !

Heard anything on M 110s effectiveness ? Durability ?

Riven37
03-07-08, 09:20 AM
Thats it . Good research Riven37 !

Heard anything on M 110s effectiveness ? Durability ?

Only on what the History show future weapons showed through a time test between the standard M 24 with this new M 110. The M 110 was very fast, accurate, and better. It also has nigh vision attachment, laser attachments. Its both sniper weapon, and a urban weapon according to the show. Now I was never a sniper but this weapon seems sweet.

Riven37
03-07-08, 09:22 AM
The M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System is intended to replace the M24 Sniper Weapon System and M21 Sniper Weapon System used by snipers, spotters, designated marksmen, or squad advanced marksmen in the United States Army. The U.S. Army ran a competition involving several designs, including ones from Knight's Armament Company, Remington, and DPMS Panther Arms. It is interesting to note that all the entries from these companies seemed to use designs based around the AR-10 action. On September 28, 2005, the Knight's Armament Co. rifle won the competition and was selected to be the M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System. In April 2007, U.S. Army soldiers from Task Force Fury in Afghanistan were the first in a combat zone to receive the M110.[1][2]

The rifle was previously known as the XM110, but the U.S. Army has dropped its experimental status. It is manufactured by Knight's Armament Company in Titusville, Florida, though the complete system incorporates a Leupold daytime optic, Harris swivel bipod, AN/PVS-14 night sight and PALs magazine pouches of yet unpublished origin. The company name for the rifle is SR-M110 SASS, but the U.S. Army official designation is the M110 SASS. The rifle has ambidextrous features such as a double-sided magazine release, safety selector switch, and bolt catch.

The rifle is similar to the SR-25 and Mk 11 Mod 0 semi-automatic precision rifles, but differs significantly in buttstock and rail system design. The SR-25, Mk 11 Mod 0, and M110 are based loosely off the original AR-10 developed by Eugene Stoner but feature additional refinements instituted by KAC to maximize parts commonality with the AR15 / M16, improve weapon reliability, and increase accuracy.

The main differences between the Mk 11 Mod 0 and M110 are:

The rail system used: the KAC Free Floated RAS on the Mk 11 is replaced by a URX modular rail system with integral folding front back-up iron sight (BUIS).
The M110 buttstock: fixed, though the buttplate is adjustable for length of pull to match user preferences. Adjustment can be made without tools via a notched hand-tightened knob on the right-hand side of the stock. This feature was added during the change from XM110 to M110. The fixed buttstock also features integral quick-detachable sling swivel sockets located on each side of the stock near the rear of the lower receiver.
The addition of a flash hider to the barrel of the M110, which also necessitates a modified QD Suppressor unit similar to that on the Mk 11 Mod 0.
The M110's use of KAC's one-piece 30 mm scope mount instead of two separate scope rings.
Other changes were made when the XM110 made the transition to the M110. Features added were; a buttstock hand-tightening knob, sling swivel sockets, a double sided bolt catch, and a button added to the folding front sight to allow it to be locked into position.

Riven37
03-07-08, 09:25 AM
This clip is from the History show if this works if not you can find it on youtube.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ql9VCVLDqck"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ql9VCVLDqck" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

olscout
03-07-08, 03:34 PM
Riven37

I agree. From the considerable material you have gathered the M-110 seems one fine weapon. From what I have gathered in fragmentary stories that the insurgents are using the Dragunov 7.62 X 54R semi-automatic sniper rifle . Army and Marine snipers updating their rifles though I doubt the bolt rifles will be totally replaced for many a moon.

SF,

olscout

Dagger3
03-08-08, 11:21 PM
Can't beat a bolt gun with a gas gun but, the gas gun is better for multiple target engagement, higher round capacity due to the mag, if you see it that way then you'll know why the SASR was first used by the Marines in DS.

sgtsmgibson
04-09-08, 06:33 AM
Anyone wanting to know about sniper operations and effectiveness in urban terrains only needs to read "Shooter". Helluva book about a helluva Marine sniper.

usmchauer
04-09-08, 10:45 AM
Just finished reading a book by Fox Company's Co GySgt when I was in 2/5. He kept a journal/diary the entire time he was in Ramadi. It's written with colorful language, and he pretty much censors nothing. He doesn't delve into the political aspect of why we were there. Great read IMO. The book is called "Streetfight in Iraq" written by GySgt Patrick Tracy, a Marine's Marine if there ever was one.

Jonny Destroyer
04-09-08, 10:47 AM
There is a book out called Ronin about a Marine Scout /Sniper Platoon in Iraq. Anyone read it yet ?

Semper Fi olscout

Thats pretty crazy that you mention that book...it was writting based about the SS platoon in 2/6, which a good friend of mine was in at the time the book was written.

small world.

-CPL Maines:usmc:

olscout
08-06-08, 07:57 PM
I am thinking of the recoil . Interesting theory but lordy the recoil !!