PDA

View Full Version : All Stars, NFL greats, U.S. Navy converge on Cal St. Fullerton for football classic

thedrifter
02-05-08, 09:58 AM
All Stars, NFL greats, U.S. Navy converge on Cal St. Fullerton for football classic
ALL-STAR CLASSIC

STORY AND PHOTOS BY
MC2 TIMOTHY WIGHTMAN
Navy Compass Staff

It took two games to accomplish two, much-deserved firsts for football, and the Navy wasn’t about to miss out.

The inaugural All-Star Classic, presented by The Henry T. Nicholas III Foundation in association with the Fight On! Foundation, debuted Jan. 26 at Cal State Fullerton's Titan Stadium.

The Southern California Bowl was the first in the double header. It marked the first all-star game to feature the best high school players in Southern California. The second game, the American Heritage Bowl, was the first to showcase the best players from historically black colleges and universities.

"This whole event is about the passions that I have, and one of them is high school and college athletics," said Dr. Henry T. Nicholas III. "The other passion has to do with what I think separates our country from any other country in the world: we are free because we have people who choose as their career to go off and wage whatever war, whatever operation they have to, simply because they believe in our country.

“And the thing that makes us safe is that they don't question; they simply go out and they execute."

Former NFL greats Leroy Irving and Matt Bahr served as honorary coaches for the event. Irving said there is a place in his heart for black colleges and it was a distinct pleasure for him to take part in the games, specifically the American Heritage Bowl.

"We're going to start something new here in Orange County, and this being the first game, I'm looking forward to seeing how well the community accepts this game," Irving said. "I know there's a lot of buzz around the community about the game and I'm very honored to be a part of it."

The Department of the Navy supported the All-Star Classic and plans to use the event as a recruiting tool in future years.

Commanding Officer of USS Rushmore (LSD 47) Cmdr. Calvin Slocumb represented the Navy on media day Jan. 25. He talked about diversity being one of the Navy’s biggest assets and encouraged the players to consider a career in the Navy or Marine Corps after their time playing football is over.

“We have different talents and we have different experiences of those who come to serve in the Navy as well as all the attributes and training that they bring to the table every time we conduct a mission,” said Slocumb. “All of that is part of the diversity that we appreciate in all of our Sailors and in all of our Marines. There are opportunities for you just like there were for me to be able to succeed in the Navy.”

The Navy presence during the event was demonstrated in a number of ways: color guardsmen from Naval Medical Center San Diego performed colors prior to the start of both games; Musician 2nd Class Kori Gillis from Naval Air Station North Island performed the National Anthem; Navy Inspector General Vice Adm. Anthony Winns performed the flag toss to determine possession for the games, the Navy “Leap Frogs” parachute team performed prior to the American Heritage Bowl; and outside the stadium, Navy Band Southwest rock band “Destroyers” performed alongside static displays by the Navy SEALs.

The players themselves added to the Navy atmosphere. Each team donned either Navy or Marine Corps jerseys for their respective games.

Linebacker for the Southwest Marines Jon Johnson from Prairee View A&M appreciated the magnitude of the event.

“This is the first time in probably 30 years that somebody from our school was asked to go to a bowl game or any game like that so it's really a blessing and a privilege," Johnson said.

Other players were surprised but thankful to be selected as all stars.

"I was shocked [about being selected]. This being the game's first year, I didn't really know about it but I was happy," said Coastal Navy Wide Receiver Jerad Relyea from Poway High School.

Relyea added he was happy to see that military families would be benefiting from the game. Check presentations were made at halftime to the Wounded Warrior Project, National Military Family Association, Freedom Alliance and injured Maritime Semper Fi Fund.

"I think it's really cool. We just have to play football and we help out. It's a great contribution to a great cause," Relyea said.

The Inland Marines seized control of the SoCal Bowl in the second half by capitalizing on pivotal turnovers by Coastal Navy. Trailing at one time 13-8, the Marines went on to win handily by a score of 27-13.

Inland Marine Quarterback Tyler Hansen was named the offensive player of the game. Defensive Back for the Inland Marines Daniel Simmons was named defensive player of the game.

In the American Heritage Bowl, the Northeast Navy were able to recover from several first-half miscues involving bad snaps, eventually taking control of the game in the second half and cruising to a 24-7 win.

Northeast Navy Wide Receiver Jason Jones’ touchdown and near 100-yard performance earned him offensive player of the game recognition. Defensive End Greg Moore’s eight-yard interception return to tie the game 7-7 in the first half helped him get the defensive player of the game award.

Ellie