PDA

View Full Version : Response to Drill Instructor's question "Do you like me?"

David La Pierre
02-03-08, 08:41 PM
I keep hearing stories about recruits who had to answer that, and I can't think of any way out of it. What would you say?

davblay
02-03-08, 08:50 PM
I keep hearing stories about recruits who had to answer that, and I can't think of any way out of it. What would you say?

David there is no correct answer for that question....you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, so if that question is asked by a DI, it really doesn't matter how you answer it! Either way, your ass is his! :marine:

David La Pierre
02-03-08, 08:54 PM
Haha, figures... Thanks for the answer.

Big Jim
02-03-08, 09:48 PM

Yep...its just your turn...thats all. But, no matter what you say...it gonna be wrong! So, just choose your answer carefully as to get you the least amount of time in the pit or the quarterdeck!! Keep your composure and answer straight forward with no fear. Take it all as instruction..because thats what it is, ok? But, just like Dave said...your ass is his!!

Tiny90
02-03-08, 09:52 PM
what if you say "I dont like men, sir."

Wyoming
02-03-08, 09:55 PM
HA!! - Your ass will really be his!!! hahahahahahaha

Big Jim
02-03-08, 09:56 PM

THEN GOD HELP YOU!!! Don't have one iota of sarcasm, EVER...EVER, in your voice!! If you do, not only will you learn respect the "hardway" it can also be detrimental to your entire outlook while at bootcamp!! You're going to learn the hardway anyway...why make it harder? Be respectful and do WHATEVER they tell you to do and right frikkin now!! Understand guys?

SlingerDun
02-03-08, 10:08 PM
Mr. DI: do you like me?

Private La Pierre: sir the private did not join the Marine Corps to make new friends sir.

Mr. DI: answer the question numbnuts!

See, theres no way around it hehehe but after a stand off response its probably best to say no sir or tell the truth whatever it may be, but do it quickly and for gods sake try to sound convincing.

--->Dave

David La Pierre
02-03-08, 10:54 PM
Haha, got it. If I get that question I am ****ed. :evilgrin:

Pezzle
02-03-08, 10:56 PM
So what if I answered the question in a positive way, and told him that I liked him. Would I get quarterdecked for flirting? :P

David La Pierre
02-03-08, 11:05 PM
"Liking leads to ****ing and no one here is gonna **** the Drill Instructor!"

Or something like that, from what I hear.

davblay
02-03-08, 11:12 PM
OK guys, the question was answered........now if you want to be a smartass....go for it! :evilgrin:

davblay
02-03-08, 11:13 PM
So what if I answered the question in a positive way, and told him that I liked him. Would I get quarterdecked for flirting? :P

WHAT PART OF "THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER" DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

davblay
02-03-08, 11:15 PM

Yea I see what you mean Tiny, if you are asked that question answer it that way....then let me know what happens! Dumbass! :marine:

SlingerDun
02-03-08, 11:36 PM
So what if I answered the question in a positive way, and told him that I liked himwell your DI's would be female, Brittanyhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif so you go girlfren!

Pezzle
02-04-08, 01:26 AM
well your DI's would be female, Brittanyhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif so you go girlfren!
Ahahah excellent. I wasn't sure if the Marine Corps separated recruits/DIs based on gender or not.

@Davblay: Hey, I got it. :beer: It's all good. Just speculating possible amusing and push up inducing outcomes.

PatriotGirl422
02-04-08, 09:28 AM
Ahahah excellent. I wasn't sure if the Marine Corps separated recruits/DIs based on gender or not.

Yes, we are the only branch that still does that actually.

As for how to answer the question, just make it a stern "Yes sir" or "No sir". Look straight ahead and sound confident. Don't flinch, don't cry, don't smile. All they're doing is testing to see how you react under pressure and what you say to a question you don't know the answer to. The one thing to remember is to NEVER give more information then they ask for. They're really big on the whole "loose lips sink ships" thing. So don't go explaining yourself because chances are your DI will say "I didn't ask you all that" or "I didn't ask for an explanation. Are you trying to give the enemy our position and get us killed?"

Patriot34
02-04-08, 03:45 PM
Keep your composure and answer straight forward with no fear.

I have learned from the recruit tips that I've read is never show you in pain, or the DI will scream in your face JUST DIE ALREADY!
one- If a drill instructor tells you to do something you do it as fast and as well as you can.
two-Listen to your DI! They know what they're talking about (espicially on qualifaction day) They want you to suceed, but they arn't gonna make it easy. They rip your soul out and shows who you really are and you hate them for it. (read that on a post somewhere)
three- you do everything and anything 100% They'll push you to your limits and beyond. If you can do 80 push ups they'll make you do 81. The only question is are you up to the misery, pain, and challenge of Parris Island and when you get knocked down over and over and over will you be able to get up?

Marines, correct me if I'm wrong on any of these please, because I have not earned the title yet.

Pezzle
02-05-08, 09:07 AM
two-Listen to your DI! They know what they're talking about (espicially on qualifaction day) They want you to suceed, but they arn't gonna make it easy. They rip your soul out and shows who you really are and you hate them for it. (read that on a post somewhere)

I once read that the fiery gaze of a DI sucks your soul from your body. Due to this, you are soulless and must get your soul back. However, the only way to get one's soul back is through a rigorous purification ritual that is comprised of a lot of pushups.

SGT7477
02-05-08, 11:13 AM
Never say you to a DI,lol.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
02-05-08, 11:16 AM
You will lose for sure the DI will make a good example out of you.:evilgrin:

usmchauer
02-05-08, 11:17 AM
I would never call a DI a DI.

crazymjb
02-05-08, 01:57 PM
My recruiter also advised us based of personal experience that one should not say "this recruit begs to differ, sir" when told something by a DI.

Mike

PatriotGirl422
02-05-08, 06:37 PM
My recruiter also advised us based of personal experience that one should not say "this recruit begs to differ, sir" when told something by a DI.

Mike

Don't ever argue. I'm one person who HATES to be told I'm wrong when I know I'm not. One thing that drove me crazy was being belittled by the DIs and getting yelled at when I did the right thing. Then I realized that no matter what I did, I was getting yelled at either way. It just depends on their mood how bad they feel like messing with you. Even if you know you did the right thing, just say Aye Sir and get out of their face!

David La Pierre
02-05-08, 06:40 PM

Mike

That seems like suicide right there unless you have something REALLY good :evilgrin:

sparkie
02-05-08, 06:46 PM
Sir,,, I admire all Marines, Sir.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-06-08, 10:52 AM
When I was asked my response was "Hell no sir". He almost smiled before he killed me.

Zulu 36
02-06-08, 12:18 PM

Mike

Nope. Bad thing to say. Your loving drill instructor WILL find some more things for you beg about (like begging to stop the pain after several hundred bends and thrusts).

crazymjb
02-06-08, 03:00 PM
He said there is always some recruit who wants to be the hero and fight the drill instructor, and that is an entertaining thing to see. One returning Marine said some kid told his DI to "F$*&* Off" and they took him to the bathroom, and they thought they'd never see him again.

I'm really looking forward to it. I have some friends who are going who are HUGE smartasses, gonna be funny to hear their stories. They claim they have self control, but I can see them letting something slip.

Mike

kaboom1371
02-06-08, 05:01 PM
what ever you say be sure to look him strait in the eye when you answere him.

davblay
02-06-08, 05:18 PM
I have some friends who are going who are HUGE smartasses, gonna be funny to hear their stories. They claim they have self control, but I can see them letting something slip.

Mike
Mike it always amazes me to hear those fellows brag about what they'd do "if that DI does_________!", or "I would have told that SOB ______!". They are usually the ones that cry every night and whine a lot about everything. But the courage to approach a DI.........I don't think so! After all, who wants to get murdered in boot camp? :marine:

Thanks my 2 cents!

Dave

davblay
02-06-08, 05:19 PM

Yeah.......that sounds like good sound advice to me.....not! LMAO!

Dave

crazymjb
02-06-08, 06:11 PM
No no no, these guys say they will keep themselves in check (basically will stfu when at boot), but I somehow think they won't be able to help it, since they crack a joke at pretty much everything, they are bound to slip up once.

A few people do say "I don't let nobody get in my face, that motha^&(&^ is gonna be on the floor if they do that to me." Some girl was going off about that and how tough she was last week, meanwhile my recruiter is saying soemthing to the tune of "Really, yea, your gonna tell em."

Mike

SlingerDun
02-06-08, 06:48 PM
No no no, these guys say they will keep themselves in check (basically will stfu when at boot)They will. Even a dimwit immediately discovers the consequences of a sharp tongue are dire. As for the take no crap tough as nails pool(ee's) ask them: How do they imagine the quality of life in boot camp if they talked back or lashed out and caused the DI(s) to lose face in front of a platoon of some 80 recruits?

--->Dave

Patriot34
02-06-08, 07:37 PM
I would PAY to see that!

Zulu 36
02-06-08, 08:21 PM
He said there is always some recruit who wants to be the hero and fight the drill instructor, and that is an entertaining thing to see. One returning Marine said some kid told his DI to "F$*&* Off" and they took him to the bathroom, and they thought they'd never see him again.

BTW. It isn't a "bathroom," it's a "head." :evilgrin:

Lickdem89
02-06-08, 08:23 PM
Quick question in Bootcamp which is correct Aye Aye Sir, Sir yes Sir, or Aye Sir

Zulu 36
02-06-08, 08:27 PM
They will. Even a dimwit immediately discovers the consequences of a sharp tongue are dire. As for the take no crap tough as nails pool(ee's) ask them: How do they imagine the quality of life in boot camp if they talked back or lashed out and caused the DI(s) to lose face in front of a platoon of some 80 recruits?

--->Dave

In my day that would mean several things would happen: #1-Get a serious ass whupping (I mean, the DI would defend himself against your vicious assault), #2-Pay a visit to Sick Bay, #3-Next, pay a visit to the Company Commander, #4-Then, visit the gravel factory for 30-days, #4-Last, wish you had died at birth.

PatriotGirl422
02-06-08, 08:40 PM
Quick question in Bootcamp which is correct Aye Aye Sir, Sir yes Sir, or Aye Sir

If you're told to do something it's Aye Sir. (Aye is a response to a command)
If they ask you a question, you respond with Yes Sir or No Sir. (yes/no is the response to a question.

Examples:

DI: Recruit, get on my quarterdeck!
Recruit: Aye Sir!

DI: Recruit, are you going to die right now?
Recruit: No Sir!

Lickdem89
02-06-08, 08:43 PM
Ah got it thats what I thought but thought I would ask anyways thanks.

3077India
02-06-08, 08:54 PM
DRILL INSTRUCTOR: "Do you like me?"

RECRUIT: "Is the Drill Instructor asking this recruit out on a date?"

DRILL INSTRUCTOR: WHAM! (Recruit falls to the deck) "I ask the questions you miserable piece of amphibian sh!t"

3077India
02-06-08, 09:08 PM
what ever you say be sure to look him strait in the eye when you answere him.ROFLMAO!!!!!!! :p :D

3077India
02-06-08, 09:10 PM
DRILL INSTRUCTOR: "Do you like me?"

RECRUIT: "Is the Drill Instructor proposing?"

DRILL INSTRUCTOR: WHAM! (Recruit falls to the deck) "I ask the questions you miserable piece of amphibian sh!t"

PatriotGirl422
02-06-08, 09:34 PM

DI: Are you eye ****ing me, recruit?
OR

DI: Oh really? You have to look at me to talk to me?

KevinR90
02-06-08, 09:37 PM
If a drill instructor asked me that- I'd just tell him the truth- which i'm going to assume is "Sir! I hate your guts, Sir!"

What are you gonna do? if you say you like the guy he's probably gonna call you a liar (which would probably be true).

PatriotGirl422
02-06-08, 09:39 PM
If a drill instructor asked me that- I'd just tell him the truth- which i'm going to assume is "Sir! I hate your guts, Sir!"

What are you gonna do? if you say you like the guy he's probably gonna call you a liar (which would probably be true).

Just remember that there's no "you" in boot camp. The correct way to state that sentence would be "This recruit hates Drill Instructor _______'s gut's, Sir!"

Big Jim
02-06-08, 09:46 PM

I honestly think this whole topic of conversation is really of no pertinence or relevence to the whole picture of your training. Although it may happen...it also may not!!! MY DI's asked this question to other recruits in my platoon...but not to me!! So, why worry about something that may or may NOT happen? Focus should be on your state of mind and mental readiness and preparedness for bigger and harder challenges like the rifle range and making that long run with the platoon and of course...the crucible!! Recruits are going to get their minds played with left and right...but how you beat those minds games is to learn from them!! Learn your Drill Instructors and learn the attitude of your platoon and guide and squad leaders!! Thats how you stay mentally strong!!! Don't worry about what the unexpected holds for you...just expect the unexpected!!

Patriot34
02-07-08, 11:22 AM
Don't worry about what the unexpected holds for you...just expect the unexpected!!

Sooooo, what your trying to say is don't worry about what the future holds for you, just be ready for the crazy stuff because if your ready for the crazy the regular doesn't pose a challenge. Right?

Big Jim
02-07-08, 02:59 PM
Sooooo, what your trying to say is don't worry about what the future holds for you, just be ready for the crazy stuff because if your ready for the crazy the regular doesn't pose a challenge. Right?

No, that's NOT what I said...

BE READY FOR EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING THAT DOES HAPPEN WHILE IN BOOTCAMP. BUT WORRYING ABOUT THIS INCONSEQUENTIAL MIND GAME WON'T GET YOU ANYWHERE POSITIVE. ALTHOUGH IT'S GOOD TO BE PREPARED..YOU CAN GET TO A STATE OF MIND WHERE THIS IS ALL YOU THINK OF...AND THAT'S WHAT I BELIEVE IS HAPPENING HERE. YOUR ENTIRE TIME WHILE AT BOOTCAMP IS A CHALLENGE BUT DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME...YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IS IMPORTANT AND WHAT ISN'T...AND THE ONLY WAY YOU'RE GOING TO BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE IS TO EXPERIENCE IT BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERENT FOR EACH OF US. THE MAIN FOCUS IS TO JUST EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED...BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING AND THE UNIMPORTANT FACTORS WILL SEEM TRIVIAL, WHICH THEY ARE...LIKE THIS QUESTION ASKED BY YOUR DI. HE KNOWS ITS TRIVIAL AND UNIMPORTANT BUT ITS A MIND GAME AND MEANT TO CONFUSE YOU...BUT IF YOU HAVE THE MENTAL STRENGTH TO WEED THIS OUT OF EVERYTHING THATS BEING THROWN AT YOU, YOU HAVE THE MENTAL STRENGTH TO CONTINUE AND THATS THE ANSWER TO THE MIND GAME, THE TEST AND THE STUPID QUESTION!! UNDERSTAND????? ITS ABOUT CONQUERING YOUR FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN...SO JUST HAVE NO FEAR...JUST SHUT IT OFF...

Lickdem89
02-07-08, 05:37 PM
Thats true when I think of all the things that will happen at Bootcamp, what to say to a Drill Instructor is last on my list

Kyle Lambert
10-27-09, 12:45 AM
I have searched all over the internet to answer all the questions i had about boot camp. The one answer i have not found is, What is the best thing to say to a drill instructor if u do not have any idea how to answer to his question? I leave this weekend does anyone have the insight?