PDA

View Full Version : On duty while taking medications?

LCplRob
02-03-08, 05:37 PM
Good afternoon Marines. I know most of you are getting ready to watch the big game, but I have a quick question that I couldn't find an answer to anywhere else. Marines that are on prescription narcotics for legitimate reasons (such as Vicodin or percocet) supposed to be on duty, or SIQ? We've had a bit of debate in the office about this subject lately, and I've been unable to locate any sort of official stance on the subject. If anyone would be able to provide some insight, or links to publications, it would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi

Artemis
02-03-08, 05:58 PM
You may spend one or 2 days SIQ but then you go back to work and yes you can stand duty. Unless your chit from medical says otherwise. Other than that you are fair game and I know this from experience after my surgery. Took percocet for about 4 months and still stood duty after my convalecent leave was over. Sorry I do not know of any hard proof as far as this subject goes though.

LeonardLawrence
02-04-08, 01:43 AM
Seems like there would be a general 'fit for duty' clause in there somewhere. Also seems like BAS or the Hospital would have to take a stand against to make it legit.