PDA

View Full Version : New on this forum, have some questions

Franko
02-03-08, 01:19 PM
Hi I've been reading this forum for a little while now and decided to sign up today.

I'm considering joining the Marines this summer. Possibly August or September. Not only to give myself time to get in shape but I have a wedding I must attend in July so I can't miss that.
I have not signed up yet, I'm still researching and getting information. ALso, too many times I have planned to do something and then as time went on it didn't seem as good of an idea or I just started forgetting about it. So I don't want to sign up and have half a year to change my mind only to find myself stuck.

What would be a realisitic time for me to sign up for the DEP if I want to ship out sometime in August/September? What are the advantages of having a longer DEP rather than a shorter one?

What is the likelyhood of me being in combat situations (patrolling streets and such) if I don't have a combat related MOS? Just asking out of curiosity, I wouldn't be considering the Marines if I wanted to weasel my way out of doing anything. Also I'm sure it may come up sometime with my family, so I would be able to give them an answer.

Do certain jobs have a higher chance of landing you at certain bases? I've heard a lot of good things about Okinawa. The experience of being in such a foreign land would make it worth it.

I have enough college credits for PFC promotion should I enlist. I heard if you recruit one person while you're on your 10 day leave after bootcamp you can be promoted to Lcpl. What exactly do they mean by recruit? Is it someone you personally find to join or do you go through their lsit of phone numbers and stuff and if one of those joins you're good?

How much say do you have in the job you want? I've read if what you want isn't available or not really needed as much they can stick you in something else. Do you have any sort of say on what they stick you in? Do they put you in something that is related to what you picked or can they put you in something completely different?

I know when you sign up for four years you have 4 years of reserve afterwards. Is it possible to sign a contract more than four years? Do you still get reserve after that contract or is it only with four years? If after my first contract I want to stay in and reenlist. Once I'm out of the second or third or whatever contract, do I have to go to reserves once I'm out?

How many push ups would you advise I should be able to do in one sitting to survive bootcamp?

That's all I've got for now. Thanks for any replies :)

karstenchu
02-03-08, 01:34 PM
Hey there, Jason. As I am not a Marine, I can't really answer many of your questions except with info I've seen around this site. Concerning a promotion to Lcpl, I've never heard about that. I'd think you'd rather make Lcpl by merit of your achievements and ability rather than getting another person to enlist, don't you?

As for your last question, I'm sure you've seen the minimum physical requirements for enlistment - 13:30 1.5 Mile (I think), 2 pullups, and 35 crunches. Or something like that. From what I hear, the DI's are going to push you to do way more than you "can." So if you can do 20 pushups before collapsing, they'll make you do 50. If you can do 100, they'll make you do 200. You know, that kind of thing
. Basically, I heard that even if you are an athletic superstar, they are still going to push you way past your limits. I don't think you can make life that much easier on yourself, but that doesn't mean not to get in shape!

Hope some of that helps and I wish you luck!

PatriotGirl422
02-03-08, 01:38 PM
I have not signed up yet, I'm still researching and getting information. ALso, too many times I have planned to do something and then as time went on it didn't seem as good of an idea or I just started forgetting about it. So I don't want to sign up and have half a year to change my mind only to find myself stuck.

I'll let someone else answer all your extensive questions. I just found some issue with this statement. So, you're saying that you don't want to DEP in now because you have a problem with committment and you might change your mind in a few months and then be stuck with joining? If you're not 100% sure you want to be a Marine before signing, you're probably not meant for it. It takes a very dedicated person to earn the Title and to uphold that Title for the rest of his life.

RYDERKUR
02-03-08, 01:41 PM
I'll save the NCO's some time....INCOMING..

GySgtRet
02-03-08, 01:46 PM
Welcome Aboard Leatherneck...!!!

You have some excellent questions and I will try and address them as acurately as I can. I am sure if I am incorrect another Marine would correct me.

Firs some of the easy ones:

I had three tours on Okinawa and loved everyone of them 76 - 77, 86 - 87, and 89 - 91. It all depends on how you are; if you are independent of other s then I would say that you would be fine on Okinawa.
Every enlisted contract is for 8 years, as far as I know you can still have a 6 year enlistment in certain MOSs, not all are offered for 6 years. You can go reserves anytime that you want to after your initial enlistment for active duty. Your status can be downgraded if you do not drill with the unit on a regular basis.

As far as a best time to suit your schedule that is a tough one. Please don't forget it is always the needs of the Marine Corps always and formost. I see your point about possibly changing your mind after waiting for 6 months. My advice would be to enlist one day and ship as soon as there is a slot for school for you. Bear in mind that you have to be physically, mentally, and morally fit to be a Marine. These qualifications determine what you will get as far as placement or MOS.

I think that you are talking about the recruiter's assistance program after your recruit graduation. Yes that can be done, while on boot leave. Show the recruiter that you are serious about puting people into the Marine Corps and you could possibly be retained as a recruiter's assistant for a period of about 30 days. If this is abused you would have your orginal orders exicuted to report to your duty station or school as requested.

There are MOSs at every base some differ for instance the air wing would not have recon Marines stationed there unless there was a need for them to be there. I know that this is a simple example but I wanted to show an extreme for you.

Depending on your MOS would depend if you were on combat patrols. If you were lets say a admin clerk unless it was dire need then you would continue with your assined duties. Bare in mind that every Marine regardless of MOS is a basically trained rifleman.

I hope that I have covered and not confused you. Come back anytime. I would suggesto you to read through the forum subjects chanes are this may have been covered.

Gunny out

crazymjb
02-03-08, 01:52 PM
I'll adress this as best I can as a poolee. (who spends waaaay too much time at the office)

What would be a realistic time for me to sign up for the DEP if I want to ship sometime in August/September?
Well it really varies. You could theoretically DEP and ship the same day (it happens). There is a Maximum DEP time of 410 days now I believe. They would probably not send you while you are in school (unless WWIII broke out or something), but you would need to be convincing about going after summer. A recruiter likely wants to DEP you as soon as possible because they want people on deck, but they would better be able to answer that and go over timetables with you. Currently people are getting thrown into August dates anyway due to booking. Summers book up because that is when school gets out.

What are the advantages of having a longer DEP than a shorter one?
The biggest one is it comes off the back end of your contract, or IRR time. Everything else, like PT at the RSS and so fourth doesn't really make a difference if you are DEP or not. Also, good peace of mind knowing all your stuff is good and approved and you are just awaiting shipping (at least it is for me).

What is the likelyhood of me being in combat situations (patrolling streets and such) if I don't have a combat related MOS?
This really depends. Two of my recruiters have over 10 years in the Corps and have not been over seas in either of the current conflicts. On the other hand, one who was Admin has, and my other who is ground option (AAVs) has seen 3 tours in Iraq and 3 IEDs. There are some jobs in the Marine Corps that may inherintly keep you away from the action, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found yourself in the middle of a combat zone.

Do certain jobs have a higher chance of landing you at certain bases?
I can't say for sure but I would think stuff involving aircraft maintanance, for example, would land you at a Naval Air Station.

I heard if you recruit one person while you're on your 10 day leave after bootcamp you can be promoted to Lcpl. What exactly do they mean by recruit? Is it someone you personally find to join or do you go through their lsit of phone numbers and stuff and if one of those joins you're good?
I thought it was 2 for Lcpl from PFC, but anyway, you can use whatever means neccessary. IE, go out to the mall in uniform and get kids info. The recruiters will brief you on how to go about this.

How much say do you have in the job you want?
You can choose a job field assuming there are slots open (the recruiter can check for you) and you are eligable. Your specific job, IE if you are in the infantry field, heavy machine gunner, rifleman, LAV crewman, etc, unless you go the reserves route, is left up to the Corps.

I've read if what you want isn't available or not really needed as much they can stick you in something else. Do you have any sort of say on what they stick you in?
Fine print says they can do with you as they please, or at least that is my understanding. I have a friend who was supposed to be an Arty forward observer, after boot they told him they didn't have any slots, and he could be either EOD or Logistics. From all the Marines I have talked to, however, this is somewhat rare.

Do they put you in something that is related to what you picked or can they put you in something completely different?
Needs of the Corps. See above

I know when you sign up for four years you have 4 years of reserve afterwards. Is it possible to sign a contract more than four years? Do you still get reserve after that contract or is it only with four years?
Some long job schools will result in you having a 5+3 contract, also, 6+2 contracts, at least for infantry, are available.

If after my first contract I want to stay in and reenlist. Once I'm out of the second or third or whatever contract, do I have to go to reserves once I'm out? Actually I am not sure. the contract that has reserves at the back end after active duty is usualyl IRR, it is not the regular reserves in the sense that you are drilling monthly, have a job etc. Basically you are still on the governments list, and they will pull you back up as one of the many measure to avoid a draft.

How many push ups would you advise I should be able to do in one sitting to survive bootcamp?
The goal isn't to do the minimum to survive boot camp, but rather to make it easier on yourself. Obviously, the more the better. A few returning Marines said they graduated able to do about 80 non-stop. I don't know if this is always true or not. Pushups aren't graded in the Marine Corps. Work on your PFT score. 20 pullups = 100 points, 100 crunches in 2 minutes = 100 points, 3 miles in 18 minutes = 100 points, for a perfect score of 300. Try to get past 300.

Mike

Franko
02-03-08, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to come back if I have more questions.

I went in the recruiter's office once and didn't care much for it. I had done a lot of research beforehand so I pretty much knew all about the benefits and opportunities etc. I just wanted to go there to talk with a recruiter one on one to get some information. I ended up taking some practice ASVAB and playing some ridiculous game where I picked what was important to me then I would have to sit through the recruiter feeding me a bunch of bull**** out of pamphlets with elaborate pictures and colors about college benefits, pay, and all this other flashy crap I couldn't really care less about. I'm joining the Marines to serve my country and earn the title of Marine and be part of an elite! If I wanted to join just to pay for college or get a technical skill I'd be going in the other branches. I didn't like that I couldn't even really ask about the things I wanted to know instead I had to sit through crap I already knew and didn't care about, which made me forget what I wanted to actually ask. On top of that, it took place in a small, hot room with about 4 desks with three other recruiters, two recruiter assistants, and 5 civilians waiting for something. No privacy at all, I was not comofrtable having a conversation while you know everyone else is listening in on what I'm saying. I called a few days later to ask when I could take the ASVAB. He kept pressuring me into "then what?" as if I was about to join up this very second when I had already told them I wasn't signing anything for a while. Oh and they try acting all friendly like they remember you, he was like "oh yeah Jason I remember you, you're the one with the tattoo on your neck!!!!" I was like no.. I don't have any tattoos.. then he said "yeah I remember you now!" I knew that had to be a lie. Same exact thing happened to my friend. I doubt all recruiters are like that, but these guys were no good. If/when I actually NEED to go with a recruiter I'm going to a different one.

to PatriotGirl422

What I mean by that is that if I sign up now to ship out in 6 months. That is six months to reconsider, to think, and for anything else to happen. Like you said yourself, I want/need to be 200% sure before I sign anything.

crazymjb
02-03-08, 09:54 PM
Respect the fact that they are trying to do there job, and a lot of times that is how it must work. My recruiter never tried to "sell" me on the benefits of joining the Corps. His policy is pretty much to ask "so do you think you have what it takes..."

Also, with the ASVAB, they send you up to MEPS and you generally (if not in school) take it as part of the enlistement process. I don't even think they can send you up JUST to take the ASVAB if you haven't already done your package with them.

Mike

Twehman
02-03-08, 09:57 PM
Franko you have to realize that recruiters go through a lot of people and don't really want to waste their time on someone who is just going to flake out and not join which is probably why he was asking you if you had an intention of signing up. Also, don't get all bent out of shape because he didn't remember you after talking to you one time, again I am sure he talks to a lot of people and its pretty hard to keep everyone straight in your head.

Brandon1
02-03-08, 10:42 PM
This is just my opinion but what the Recruiter told you that you have stated as "Crap" and "Bullsh*t" doesnt seem like it to me. He probably just wants the best for you and wants you to further your education. Most Recruiting Stations are small and only have a few desks, but they also have back rooms if you feel uneasy with talking in front of a bunch of people. I'm pretty sure the Recruiter would be more than happy to go in a room and talk with you one on one if you asked. You said when he was talking you lost track of what questions you wanted to ask. Write them down or something, you can always ask questions, a recruiter will never shoot down a chance for you to ask questions.

Dont feel bad if the Recruiter didnt remember your name, mine didnt when I called about a week later, didnt bother me any. Just remember you have to be commited and have to REALLY WANT the Title of United States Marine!

Thats just my .02 cents.

davblay
02-03-08, 11:59 PM
You poolees, and friends, have brought up an interesting point. The recruiters have a tough job, if not the toughest job in the Corps. In the mid 80s when I was recruiting, the amount of people I talked to in a months time was unbelieveable!

You do the math here as I type;

A recruiter must contact 100 prosects to get 3 in the office to fill out any paperwork......then they have to have 100, out of those, to agree to Pretest for the ASVAB to get 45 to pass that, then maybe 2 of those will agree to be taken to MEPS where only 3 out of ten will pass first go round, 2 - 3 will need some kind of waiver, and 4 - 5 will fail! So if a recruiters mission is 5 enlistments on any given month, he has to actively talk to somewhere around.... well you do the math!

All I am saying is that they don't just sit in the office all day and wait for qualified people to come in and say "when can I go to MEPS"! Believe me I have had people score 65 on the practice test and score 18 on the ASVAB! It ain't Walmart, they don't have qualified people waiting in line to join up! It's his job to qualify you by trying to disqualify you, make sense? He has a manual that tells him all the regulations as to what is disqualifying, if you fall into any of those categories then he must dig into your past, health, physical, education, whatever.

To make this simple for all, just talking to 100 new people a month, plus all the ones that you have already had some contact with, plus the phone calls..........well I think you get the idea!

But you never know, some weeks seems like everyone that comes in scored 80 or above on the ASVAB in HS and is in good physical shape, they breeze thru MEPS and the recruiter gets his mission in one week for the whole month, you never know! Of course that don't mean he gets the rest of the months off, no sir! He has to work for the next months mission!

To end this lecture.... you get one atta boy for every good enlistment, as a recruiter.....but one ah sh!t will erase all atta boys! Miss a months mission and see what you get!

DEAVILA
02-04-08, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to come back if I have more questions.

I went in the recruiter's office once and didn't care much for it. I had done a lot of research beforehand so I pretty much knew all about the benefits and opportunities etc. I just wanted to go there to talk with a recruiter one on one to get some information. I ended up taking some practice ASVAB and playing some ridiculous game where I picked what was important to me then I would have to sit through the recruiter feeding me a bunch of bull**** out of pamphlets with elaborate pictures and colors about college benefits, pay, and all this other flashy crap I couldn't really care less about. I'm joining the Marines to serve my country and earn the title of Marine and be part of an elite! If I wanted to join just to pay for college or get a technical skill I'd be going in the other branches.

Ok, first of all, you said you had done a lot of research and you "pretty much knew all about the benefits and opportunities"..well let me tell you. YOU DON'T...you learned and read about a few of those things..but you don't know everything...that is why the recruiter that talked to you, gave you the info. and everything that you need to know, before YOU MAKE THE DECISION OF ACTUALLY DEPping in. The practice ASVAB test, is to see if you EVEN QUALIFY to DEP in. If you don't even pass the Practice test, all a recruiter can do, is give you some info. and pamphlets...why would He even Sit Down, and Give you all the INFO. you need to know..If you can't even pass the Practice test...and he wasn't feeding you Bull****..why WOULD YOU EVEN SAY SUCH A THING???...HE'S DOING HIS JOB!!..OF GIVING YOU INFO ON WHAT THE MARINE CORPS HAS TO OFFER YOU!!..

I did not like the fact that you mentioned that you played "some ridiculous game where I picked what was important to me" ALL the recruiter was doing, was trying to see what is most important to you about joining the Marine Corps?...the CHALLENGE, TRAVEL, EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS, etc....Why is This STUPID??..he's trying to see what you are looking for in the Marine Corps...and to see if you guys can set up a plan for you, incase you do QUALIFY to DEP in.

Please Do Not disrespect the Recruiters like that..tHe one that you talked to does talk and see a lot of other people..and of course he's not goin to remember every single one!!..dont take it up the A** either...Next time you have questions, Write them down, so you wont forget them!!.

Im not trying to be mean or anything..But you did kind of disrespect what a Recruiter did for you. He has appointments, phone calls to make, applicants to FIND!..and your here Bitc**** about what He did for you?..THATS NOT COOL!..He Could have been helping someone else out at that Time, instead of sitting there, and giving you all the info...that You Supposebly did Not care About..

Artemis
02-04-08, 12:40 AM
Well if you want to biatch moan and complain then go join the Air Force because the Corps doesn't need or want you.

Franko
02-04-08, 05:26 AM
Sorry if I may have given the wrong impression. I'm just sharing my thoughts about me meeting a recruiter. I know they have a diffficult job.

As for taking the ASVAB, I've always heard and read on several sites that you can take the ASVAB and haev no obligation to commit to anything. I was expecting to take the ASVAB now to have an idea of what jobs I could qualify for to start looking into them. The recruiter did not seem fascinated with me just taking the ASVAB and leaving it at that, for now. I understand where he's coming from, but I'm the one joining, I'm going to join when I'm ready not because I'm pressured into doing it.

POOLEE DEAVILA and others, I never meant to say I knew everything about military life and the Corps. What I meant to say is that I pretty much knew most of what there is to know about the GI bill, pay scales, on base learning, retirement, etc... I stayed in the recruiter's office after two hours of listening to what HE wanted to say, not what I wanted to know. I came out with not a single bit more of new information than when I went in. I mean honestly, I didn't come to hear about how Drew Carey was in the Marines, how the president of Fed Ex was in the Marines. The whole thing just seemed like a car salesman eager to meet his quota rather than a recruiter working with a potential recruit to give him information he needs and set him on the right path.

I also did not mean that all that stuff was "stupid." I just meant that I feel (maybe others don't feel this way) that when you join the Marine Corps you join because you want to serve your country and go through the most rigorous service. I feel if I wanted to join for four years, leave and then use the skills I learned in the military to help me land a better job that I would join another branch. I want to (but I suppose it's easier said than done) stay int he Marines for many years after my first contract. Hopefully 20+ years. With that mindset, it's nice to know that military service could give me an edge in the civilian workforce, but it isn't what I'm here for.

Brandon1, yeah, actually we did start in the(the because there was only one) back room. We weren't five minutes into my meeting that the Staff Sgt. came in and kicked us out because he needed to use the room for who knows what.

Don't get me wrong, my recruiter personally seemed like a very nice guy. I just feel I could get much better and less biased information from other sources.

davblay
02-04-08, 09:36 AM
Don't get me wrong, my recruiter personally seemed like a very nice guy. I just feel I could get much better and less biased information from other sources.
Hey I got an idea... the next time you go to see him wear a name tag and pull your trousers down in the back and walk in backwards, then maybe he will get the hint to kiss your ass! Then maybe you will feel, and get, the attention you think you deserve from him! After all he will most likely be sitting there waitng on you anyway, nothing else to do and all!

Look, you have a good point man, but what do you want these hard working men to do? Drop everything so you can have thier undivided attention? That will happen as you go through the proccessing parts of your enlistment, but he is way to busy to spend 2 hours with someone that is shopping around, you can get most of that information on the internet, but we are not recruiters on this site, the information we have is old, even from the youngest poolee! Ask them specific questions, write them down so you won't forget to ask what you want answered. Call them every day until you get all the answers you want, but remember they are very busy!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-04-08, 10:48 AM
IIINNNCCCOOOMMMINGGGGGGGGGG

"Less biased"?

Uhhh......

I think the little canoe just tipped over and you fell into the frakkin water, there, wannabee. You just floated up shiite creek with THAT line. An don' have no paddle, or yer wits, either.

I have a newsflash for you, sport. "Other sources" aren't going to help you, the recruiter IS. He has to deal with 200 turds all wanting to be reconsniperbillybaddazz walking thru his door every day, only one of which *may* sign on the dotted line. So, please forgive him if he didn't get his panties all in a big wad because YOU strolled through his door.

Pardon me, but you either WANT this or you don't. You've done the research, wonderful. Pin a rose on your nose. That should mean, when you walked IN there, you said:

"I'm here to enlist in the Delayed Entry Program, for such-and-such an MOS, and I would like to get the process started...I have all my required paperwork with me, and when can I go to MEPS?". If that was the case, my most humblist apologies. If it wasn't, then you didn't do much research. Also, a simple 'google' search brings up all sorts of things, including this website. How much 'research' did you do HERE before you trundled into the recruiters office? Obviously, not alot, because I note you failed to follow simple instructions in filling out a profile initially before posting. I think your vast research ability....needs work.

If you are 'service shopping' trying to find the 'right' fit for you, then likely, this ain't it. Check out the Army Guard or something, maybe they'll buy you a cookie or a pizza and tell you how wonderful you are.

Crikey.

Franko
02-04-08, 11:54 AM
IIINNNCCCOOOMMMINGGGGGGGGGG

"Less biased"?

Uhhh......

I think the little canoe just tipped over and you fell into the frakkin water, there, wannabee. You just floated up shiite creek with THAT line. An don' have no paddle, or yer wits, either.

I have a newsflash for you, sport. "Other sources" aren't going to help you, the recruiter IS. He has to deal with 200 turds all wanting to be reconsniperbillybaddazz walking thru his door every day, only one of which *may* sign on the dotted line. So, please forgive him if he didn't get his panties all in a big wad because YOU strolled through his door.

I just want to get infromation clear and without any sugar coating on it. Getting information from a recruiter in my experience was mostly sugar coating to make it nice, cool looking handouts with American flags and pictures of tough looking guys going through obstacle courses.

Pardon me, but you either WANT this or you don't. You've done the research, wonderful. Pin a rose on your nose. That should mean, when you walked IN there, you said:

"I'm here to enlist in the Delayed Entry Program, for such-and-such an MOS, and I would like to get the process started...I have all my required paperwork with me, and when can I go to MEPS?". If that was the case, my most humblist apologies. If it wasn't, then you didn't do much research. Also, a simple 'google' search brings up all sorts of things, including this website. How much 'research' did you do HERE before you trundled into the recruiters office? Obviously, not alot, because I note you failed to follow simple instructions in filling out a profile initially before posting. I think your vast research ability....needs work.

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I never claimed I researched every last bit of information available about the Marines and the military in general. I went in there with a good idea of the basics, I came out with nothing more. I also don't know what you're talking about regarding my profile. It seems pretty damn complete. All I'm missing is my last name, my hometown, and tirvial information such as favorite book and color. Let me tell you what, I don't have a favorite color, I couldn't care less. I don't have a favorite book, I don't read a lot of book. I also don't want to put every last bit of personal information about myself online. I have used the internet since I was nine years old, experience and common sense tells me not to make available any information you aren't willing to have everyone around the world know about you. I've seen some pretyt nasty stuff happen to people who have too much information about themselves out in the open. Hell, you don't even require an account to view profile information on this site. Also, you seem to have an incomplete profile yourself, where is your picture?

Besides, as I said earlier, I don't want to go into the DEP just yet to have 6 months to twirl my thumbs and have anything happen that makes me want to reconsider. On top of that, my mom asked me to not sign anything yet and wait until I was completely sure. I agreed out of respect but also because it was what I was planning to do in the first place.

If you are 'service shopping' trying to find the 'right' fit for you, then likely, this ain't it. Check out the Army Guard or something, maybe they'll buy you a cookie or a pizza and tell you how wonderful you are.

I am not service shopping. It is the Marine Corps or nothing. TBH, if I could join right now, I would. But I can't, so might as well make good use of my time and get any more information I can that can help me go in the right direction once I do go in.

Crikey.

Honestly, I don't quite understand why everyone is jumping at my throat because I didn't think my experience with a recruiter was great. I shared my experience expecting others to be able to relate or listen and maybe offer some advice. I don't know why some of you are taking it personally.

Artemis
02-04-08, 12:09 PM
Are you kidding you don't know why people are jumping on you? In a very simple way so that even you can understand it is because you talked shiit about a Marine and you don't even count as a wannabe since you haven't enlisted. If you want to talk smack about a Marine this certainly is not the place to do it. You are actually lucky in my opinion because I think some Marines are being to easy on you about this.

Franko
02-04-08, 12:13 PM
What? I'm not saying anything bad about any Marine. I'm saying I didn't like the experience at the recruiter's office, not that I didn't like the recruiter himself.

If I said anything like that, it must of been because I got caught up in the heat while typing out what happened, and if I did, I apologize.

mike christy
02-04-08, 12:17 PM
I don't know why some of you are taking it personally.

If you can not figure that one out, then you are definitely looking in the wrong place.

You have already received sound advice and are choosing to ignore it, if you are waiting for the other Marines on this site tell you what you WANT to hear, you are in for a very long wait.

Franko
02-04-08, 12:29 PM
If you can not figure that one out, then you are definitely looking in the wrong place.

You have already received sound advice and are choosing to ignore it, if you are waiting for the other Marines on this site tell you what you WANT to hear, you are in for a very long wait.

As I just said earlier, I apologize if I said or made it sound like I was disrespecting or putting down the recruiter in any way. I have the utmost respect for all Marines.

I read somehwere that a high percentage of what you read in online discussions gets misinterpreted. I believe it may be the case here.
You can either accept my apology that I did not mean to put down my recruiter and if I did it was because I got caught up in writing out my frustration, or you can't, there's no need to be beating a dead horse and take childish jabs at me by trying to put words into my mouth.

Again, I apologize if I insulted anyone and got off on the wrong foot.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-04-08, 12:37 PM
Oh, this should be fun.

I just want to get infromation clear and without any sugar coating on it. Getting information from a recruiter in my experience was mostly sugar coating to make it nice, cool looking handouts with American flags and pictures of tough looking guys going through obstacle courses.

Ummmm........so, in your vast experience you were expecting something 'sugar coated' and didn't want 'cool looking handouts etc'.

But, since you claim to have done all your own research and basically had a snit because the recruiter gave you the standard speil....you wanted 'clear' information.

Exactly WHAT is it you wanted? Cause you sure aren't being clear with us, despite the prodigious outpouring of words thus far.

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I never claimed I researched every last bit of information available about the Marines and the military in general. I went in there with a good idea of the basics, I came out with nothing more.

No, I'm working off of the words you wrote. You said you had done all your research (multiple times). And, again, I'm not sure what it was you expected. You aren't clear, other than to beeyatch about it.

I also don't know what you're talking about regarding my profile. It seems pretty damn complete. All I'm missing is my last name, my hometown, and tirvial information such as favorite book and color. Let me tell you what, I don't have a favorite color, I couldn't care less. I don't have a favorite book, I don't read a lot of book.

Hmmm...well, I DO "read a lot of 'book' " and it would appear, laddie, you should as well. BTW, there is this cool 'book' called a "dictionary". Fella name of Webster wrote it. Try that one on for size and go from there.

I also don't want to put every last bit of personal information about myself online. I have used the internet since I was nine years old, experience and common sense tells me not to make available any information you aren't willing to have everyone around the world know about you.

Another prodigy. How nice for you. Skippy, I suggest you go back and read my original post. And then try to comprehend it, as it states you failed to follow instructions when first getting here in not filling out your profile. Instead, you chose to get your thong in a wad and fire off an internet broadside. Impressive.
I've seen some pretyt nasty stuff happen to people who have too much information about themselves out in the open. Hell, you don't even require an account to view profile information on this site. Also, you seem to have an incomplete profile yourself, where is your picture?

Nice try, but since photos aren't required, merely optional, you lose, speedboat. By the way, since you are holding the status of "Wannabee", I'd suggest...... highly suggest....... you mind both your manners and your tongue, before you find yourself booted out of here.

Also, we sure seem to be snippy don't we? My, my, my. If you do manage to somehow get enlisted without a DQ, you will find that one does not wander into the Warriors Hall while wearing a Mickey Mouse hat, and start tweaking the shields on the wall whilst kvetching about the lack of decor.

Go read a few "book" and then you can, perhaps, understand that passage.
Besides, as I said earlier, I don't want to go into the DEP just yet to have 6 months to twirl my thumbs and have anything happen that makes me want to reconsider. On top of that, my mom asked me to not sign anything yet and wait until I was completely sure. I agreed out of respect but also because it was what I was planning to do in the first place.

What could possibly happen? Oh, right. Cold feet. Backing out. The "apron string/my girlfriend doesn't want me to go" factors. Got it.

You seem to have made the decision already, such as it is. My god, how do you decide what to have for breakfast in the morning???? "Hmmmm.....oatmeal or milquetoast....oatmeal or milquetoast......gonna have to research this one....DANG IT, MISSED THE BUS AGAIN!"

Ah, well. Your loss.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-04-08, 12:44 PM
What? I'm not saying anything bad about any Marine. I'm saying I didn't like the experience at the recruiter's office, not that I didn't like the recruiter himself.

If I said anything like that, it must of been because I got caught up in the heat while typing out what happened, and if I did, I apologize.

Lastly, and I'll let this one go afterward, if you have seen the movie "300", you will recall the beginning passage, where King Leonidas tells the Persian, "Choose your words carefully.....in Sparta, ALL are held accountable...even a King's Messenger".

Tis the same here. As you have discovered.

Brandon1
02-04-08, 01:02 PM
Can we get a Dear Chilli on this please? :idea:

Artemis
02-04-08, 01:28 PM
Dear Chilli,
I have sand in places I never knew sand could get and everyone is picking on me. I don't know what I did wrong so I hope that you can help me clear this issue up.

Sincerley,
Desperatly Sandy Coochie

GySgtRet
02-04-08, 02:02 PM
I would like very much if you would fill in your profile again. To start with nobody is playing a game with you. We have rules to follow and if you think this is bad, if you qualify the MCRD has even more strengent rules.

So please just ask a direct question. I will give you a strong hint as to why we Marines are like we are. You stated that the recruiter greated you and got you incorrect ok. As other Marines have advised recruiters go through a lot of information and meet a lot of people dueing the course of 30 days during a production month of recruiting.

I know this first hab because I did a succesful tour on recruiting duty in the early 80s. In order to make mission, (notice I did not say QUOTA), Marines are always opcon to misssion. Marines do not fail at the mission. I think that you did get started on the wrong foot I tried to galze it over and keep the heat off but as you can tell that didn't work. I accept your apolgy and I am will to give a more distript answer if you follow the rules. Oh and really do some research here there is a wealth of information I don't think you even considered.

Come back when you are serious and ready to obiede by the rules. I was the first Marine in here to Welcome you aboard if you recall. If you don't want to comply with the rules I will have the thread shut down, this is not a threat it will happen. No personal attacks, just follow the simple rules.

Oh and Chilli if you get this please don't be too harsh he may just get it?

The choice is yours.