PDA

View Full Version : Deployment 92 Day

accraig05
02-01-08, 06:26 PM
I am currently a DEP 92 day reservist, and I was told that I have first right of refusal for my first deployment. I want to know the integrety of this fact.

:flag: Semper Fi :flag:

rvillac2
02-01-08, 07:00 PM
You need to fill out your profile and read the rules.

crazymjb
02-01-08, 08:15 PM
So you can refuse to go with you unit when the go to war? Just curious, why would anyone want to do that? Do any Marines do that? I know a few Marines in school and none would so much as think of it.

Mike

Ub3rmike
02-01-08, 10:42 PM
So you can refuse to go with you unit when the go to war? Just curious, why would anyone want to do that? Do any Marines do that? I know a few Marines in school and none would so much as think of it.

Mike
Yes and no. I know because of my current situation and I'm currently pursuing a 92 day contract (my university acceptance letters come in March). A 92 day contract in itself will NOT excuse you or give you the right to refuse to deploy with your unit if they're activated. However, because people who are following the commissioned officer route, they'll obviously be pursuing OCS while in college via the PLC program. Getting into PLC will override the obligations you have towards your unit, but canidates and officers have told me that you may continue to drill and do things as normal with your unit while you're not at OCS, or you may choose to just drop drilling all together.

In my situation, I was openly told by my recruiters that there is a chance of me going with my unit to do what Marines do, and because I'm set on going for commission, they were willing to try to make deals and wheel me into another reserve unit to avoid deployment and attend college as intended.

I'm set on being an 0311, and God-willing, eventually, an 0302, and I'm not going to let anything stop me from being your quintessential Marine infantryman. I told my recruiters that I'm not afraid of deployment, and that I won't mind putting school off temporarily since I plan on going career and enlisted combat experince would only help me.

The reason as to why people would attempt to avoid deployment is because of a divide in how people see going about an officer's commission (most notably on the Marine OCS boards). You have one group who whole heartedly believes in the benefit of being a tried and true Mustang, and you have another group who believe that if you want to be a Marine officer without pursuing a career in the Corps, you might as well pursue the commission in the most direct path possible.

I personally welcome the oppertunity to try to become a battle tested Mustang, and if I wanted to avoid deployment, I probably wouldn't have looked into the branch which runs towards the sound of the guns.

USMC8541Sgt
02-01-08, 10:47 PM
I was a 92 aswell...... since you will be with your unit as an 0300, a basicly trained Marine, the likelyhood of your unit wanting you to go with them is minimal. Until you complete MOS school then all bets are off!

TheChiefIsIn
02-01-08, 10:57 PM
UberMike, 92 dayer right here as well. Hopefully AAV Crewman, but we'll see. From what my recruiter told me, you cannot be deployed until you finish MCT/SOI and your MOS school (for non-infantry). After that, you can be deployed whenever the Corps needs it so.

Personally, as UberMike said, I don't mind being deployed. I mean, it's not like I'm joining the Marines just for the college fund.

accraig05
02-02-08, 03:19 AM
I don't mind being deployed, but if I'm close to earning my degree I wanted to know what my options would be to alow me to finish. As a defence to myself, I hate reading those blog entries that sound like a guy trying to dodge combat, having said that I want to serve with my unit if deploy, and would willingly, because that is my duty as a United States Marine. I only wanted to know my options, because once I earn my degree I plan to go active duty, officer or not.

Thanks to all of you for your answers they have been more than helpful.

:iwo: First to fight!! Semper Fi :iwo:

rvillac2
02-02-08, 04:09 AM
I don't mind being deployed, but if I'm close to earning my degree I wanted to know what my options would be to alow me to finish. As a defence to myself, I hate reading those blog entries that sound like a guy trying to dodge combat, having said that I want to serve with my unit if deploy, and would willingly, because that is my duty as a United States Marine. I only wanted to know my options, because once I earn my degree I plan to go active duty, officer or not.

Thanks to all of you for your answers they have been more than helpful.

:iwo: First to fight!! Semper Fi :iwo:

I guess you still haven't read the rules. Semper Fi is reserved for those who have earned it.

If you're unit is deployed before you finish MOS school, you are not likely to go with them. Once you finish MOS school, you can be deployed regardless of your school status. If you are enrolled in PLC, which is a separate contract, then you have a choice. This ain't Burger King.

crazymjb
02-02-08, 12:56 PM
So I guess this brings about a question from me. I opted not to do the 92 day program. I would rather have a year off before college. If everything went perfect I would be able to augment in that time, but I don't know how that would work since a bunch of guys I know going with 2/25 will be leaving right about when I graduate, workup starts around when I ship.

If I were to enter into the PLC program as an enlisted and trained 0331, would that override my contract and comittment with 1/25? If that is the case, I would rather just skip out on PLC and do OCS after graduation. I do NOT want to be an officer without experiencing a tour among enlisted men. I also have friends and am making more friends in 1/25 and who are going to be in 1/25, and it would not be acceptable that if I was capable of going that I couldn't. I believe 1/25 has a tour scheduled right in the middle of my college career.

Mike

DEAVILA
02-03-08, 11:36 PM
I am currently a DEP 92 day reservist, and I was told that I have first right of refusal for my first deployment. I want to know the integrety of this fact.

:flag: Semper Fi :flag:

Semper Fi is reserved for Marines Only. You have Not earned the Title Yet. So please Change ur Signature...:) ..Just Trying to Help out..

and about the 92day thing. Im in the same position. I've already been accepted to a few schools, but the ones that I would most likely attend, wont notify me if i've been accepted or rejected until March. Once you have Graduate Recruit Training, and you go Straight to whatever University you were admitted to, You do ur Freshman year Full-time, while you Drill on weekends. YOU'RE STILL A MARINE.(reserves)

Once that first summer after your Freshman year arrives, You will go to MCT...then you'll do your Sophomore year..and in the summer..MOS school..and so forth....once you have done your MOS school, if your Unit gets activated, You can be pull out of school, and Deploy with them

In my case, Once I have Graduated From Recruit training, as a 92day reservist... I will talk to an OSO, about doing the PLC. rather than continuing as a 92day reservist...so I will Do my Freshman year of college, and DRIll on Weekends, and in the Summer after my freshm. year..I'll Hopefully attend my first 6 weeks of OCS...the Summer after that.. I'll do my other 6 weeks..and so on..

It all depends on what you Do. You can continue to be a 92day reservist, and you will get to go to MCT and MOS school, and if your Unit Deploys, You will as well..If you go from 92day to PLC, then it is more than likely that you will Not deploy.

rvillac2
02-04-08, 12:28 AM
In my case, Once I have Graduated From Recruit training, as a 92day reservist... I will talk to an OSO, about doing the PLC. rather than continuing as a 92day reservist...so I will Do my Freshman year of college, and DRIll on Weekends, and in the Summer after my freshm. year..I'll Hopefully attend my first 6 weeks of OCS...the Summer after that.. I'll do my other 6 weeks..and so on..

That's a no-go, kid. PLC is done during your junior and senior summers. You won't be able to go until you've completed your sophomore year. Plan on attending MCT+MOS school.

PatriotGirl422
02-04-08, 09:14 AM
That's a no-go, kid. PLC is done during your junior and senior summers. You won't be able to go until you've completed your sophomore year. Plan on attending MCT+MOS school.

Actually you can go to PLC after your freshman year. You go 6 weeks after freshman, 6 weeks after sophomore, and then just have to wait until you graduate to get commissioned. That's what my OSO told me. That was actaully my original plan before I decided to join the Reserves. I could be wrong, but I had a pamphlet on it and a signed contract and everything.

PatriotGirl422
02-04-08, 09:17 AM
Actually here's the info and link right from the official Marine Officers website:

http://officer.marines.com/page/Platoon-Leaders-Class-O.jsp

"The Platoon Leaders Class is the most common route to becoming an officer. For college freshmen and sophomores, the program consists of two six-week training sessions between school years at Officer Candidates School in Quantico, Virginia.
For college juniors, it's one 10-week training session."

DEAVILA
02-04-08, 08:17 PM
ahhh Ok..So I wasn't going crazy then. Thats my original Plan. TO do The PLC during My freshman year and Sophomore year of college, Once i come brack from "Recruit Training" of course...