PDA

View Full Version : Looking for WWII info

clydemac
01-31-08, 01:33 PM
My father began his career as a Marine Paratrooper in 1942, eventually serving 8 years during WWII and Korea. He passed away recently and left me several hundred old pictures, several dozen of which were taken during his time in the service. I’m searching for anyone with information about these pictures taken around San Diego, Camp Pendelton and an unidentifiable South Pacific island. I’ve created a website, www.clydeadams.com/searching where these pictures can be viewed. I truly appreciate any and all help.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-31-08, 03:07 PM
A very well done and put together site!

What little help I can give:

Pic 1946-13, looks to be taken from Arlington National Cemetary, looking towards the Pentagon. This is the same side of the Pentagon, BTW, that was struck on 9/11. This pic would have been taken towards the bottom of Arlington Annex, which sits on a higher hill than the Pentagon, and likely was taken while standing on the sidewalk or access road that leads directly by the cemetary.

1949-25: This sure looks like Gromans Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not much help, but the pics sure were great to look at! Thanks!

clydemac
01-31-08, 09:18 PM
i truly appreciate your taking the time to look over the pics and pass along that information. if you know of anybody else who might have a clue or two about the pics, i would appreciate your passing my info along.

thanks again!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-04-08, 05:27 AM
You are quite welcome. Again, a fine site, and a great way to honor your father. Well done sir!

Jared Leavitt
02-08-08, 02:18 PM
Interesting to see your old man's collection of photos. The buildings at Camp Pendleton seem to have still been there in the 80's when I was! I think I can help with your photos, at least on a few.

1943-10.jpg may have been shot on Bougainville. I recognise this from a book series I own. Book 10, page 1271 is the pics location, no credits are given to the photographer I'm afraid (The Illustrated World War II Encyclopedia, based on original text of Lt. Col Eddy Bauer, published by H.S. Stuttman Inc.)

1949-24 and 25.jpg are definately Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, CA. See them on www.manntheatres.com/chinese (http://www.manntheatres.com/chinese)

1946-13.jpg as pointed out already is the Pentagon as scene from around Arnold or possibly King Drive in Arlington National Cemetery. You can see a great view of this area on Google Earth.

1950-13.jpg is Balboa Park in San Diego. This has a rich history and is home to most of San Diego's museums. The photo looks like it was taken from the Bell Tower.

clydemac
02-11-08, 11:59 AM
jared, thanks for the info. i'm grateful for every little bit of info.

FistFu68
02-11-08, 02:37 PM
:usmc: YOU SHOULD CONTACT MR.TED OVERGARD,SECRETARY FIFTH MARINE DIVISION ASSN.;SINCE THE 1ST.@2ND.PARACHUTE REGT.WERE FROM THE 5TH.PLUS THE RAIDERS.THESE MEN WHO ARE ACTIVE MEMBERS,FROM WW11;WOULD LOVE TOO SEE THESE PIC'S.YOU CAN REACH HIM AT P.O BOX 1775-HARRISON,AR.72602-1775.TEL.(870)391-3654.THE SPEARHEAD DIVISION.~UNCOMMON VALOR WAS A COMMON VIRTUE~SEMPER FI :usmc:

clydemac
02-11-08, 08:11 PM
thanks so much for that bit of info. i'll write him asap. i've been in touch with a few of dad's ex-marine friends - george alden in texas and bill bowman in california. they've both been helpful but i'd sure like to gather as much info as i can.

ggyoung
02-12-08, 11:59 AM
I can't help with any thing but wow you have done a outstanding job.

davisej
01-06-10, 03:41 PM
Looking at those photos one of them looks like the theater Gromans Chinese. It is looked at Hollywood Blivd near Highland Blvd. I grew up near there.

Vandrel
01-06-10, 10:39 PM
Very nice site, I only wish I had that amount of details and photos on my grandfather, U.S. Army E-7 WWII Omaha Beach, retired a CWO5, passed away several years ago due to wounds from the war and refusing to seek treatment.

courtneyriggs
01-08-10, 09:43 AM
I'm looking for info on a ship called the USS Uruguay that came to Australia in 1942 from the US during WWII?

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-10, 06:33 PM
Vandrel, send me the information you have I might be able to guide you in the right direction.

Courtney, same goes, shoot me a PM.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-14-10, 03:24 AM
Here's a nice time line on the ship, BTW.

http://www.moore-mccormack.com/SS-Uruguay-1938/SS-Uruguay-Timeline.htm