PDA

View Full Version : Things you still do from boot camp

PatriotGirl422
01-31-08, 09:19 AM
As I was sitting in class yesterday, I was taking notes, and I starting to cross my feet and then instinctively quickly uncrossed them and put my feet back at a 45 degree angle. I realized that this instinct is something I learned in bootcamp. ("Sit down with with your feet flat on the deck at a 45 degree angle and don't let your fat back touch the chair") I now feel uncomfortable sitting with my feet crossed, and always have my feet flat on the floor, usually at a 45 degree angle. I was wondering if anyone else has anything that got drilled into their head at bootcamp that they still do instinctively, or think twice before doing.
I know that we talked about the hands in the pockets and leaning against things (which are two more things I can never do). Does anyone else have anything that they still do?

Wyoming
01-31-08, 09:26 AM

Yep, still step off with the left foot.

gwladgarwr
01-31-08, 09:29 AM
While eating chow, I still turn my unused left hand into a fist and set it squarely on my left knee while I shovel the chow into my gullet with the fork in my right. And I clean my plate with a small dinner roll (if available.)

Sgt gw:flag:

249gunner
01-31-08, 09:42 AM
I dont wipe the sweat off my face with my hand. I rather not talk about what happened last time.

crate78
01-31-08, 09:48 AM
Stand at "Attention" for the flag and National Anthem. Never be late for anything.

mike christy
01-31-08, 10:00 AM
Stand at "Attention" for the flag and National Anthem. Never be late for anything.

To add to that, I always remove my cover and stand at Attention, drive the wife & kids crazy by always trying to be early for everything:)

Cash2053
01-31-08, 11:38 AM
I still catch myself running up stairs.

thewookie
01-31-08, 11:42 AM
I still eat like the world's about to end and it's my last meal.

jrhd97
01-31-08, 12:04 PM
Still run up and down stairs, Always, Always early. Wife and kids have learned it's more pleasent if we are early. Can't stand being late. Still step off with left foot.

SGT7477
01-31-08, 12:11 PM
Never late for any appointment hurry up and wait and still lace up boots or shoes right over left. Semper FI.

MoparScott
01-31-08, 12:51 PM
I called a quick meeting in my office last week, the words "Form a horseshoe" just popped out of my mouth. I wonder where I heard that before...hmmm:evilgrin:

I still eat like the world's about to end and it's my last meal.I've been out since '93 and still find myself doing this sometimes.

darkgreen0311
01-31-08, 01:09 PM
I definitely hate being late, i still put on my belt starting from the left and still keep my left hand on my left thigh when i eat.

brian21johansen
01-31-08, 01:17 PM
I'm fresh out of bootcamp so I'm sure some of these things will eventually wear off.......but I can't walk and eat, walk and drink, walk and talk on a cell phone, put my hands in my pockets, or scratch my face, without thinking that one of my drill instructors is gonna run out of nowhere and kill me.
Hopefully those habits never wear off, I was taught that Marines don't do those things(along with many other things) and I love being a Marine. When I'm out somewhere and I see civilians do things like that it drives me crazy....I feel nasty when they do it but it makes me appreciate the discipline my drill instructors instilled in me.

thewookie
01-31-08, 01:29 PM
Brian, you've been a Marine for about an hour, you boot!:banana: This thread isn't for you, you have to at least be away from boot camp for more then an hour or two in order to respond here! Semper Fi and welcome to the club, Marine. Now go give some poolees a pep talk,,,

brian21johansen
01-31-08, 01:34 PM
Haha, I'll go do that Sergeant. I love telling poolees how nasty they are (even though I was a poolee less than 4 months ago).

commbubba
01-31-08, 02:11 PM
I still find myself standing at Parade Rest when and waiting to speak until spoken too....and I can't find myself walking and eatting at the same time.

Camper51
01-31-08, 02:21 PM
I still cannot be LATE for anything.

I still don't go outdoors uncovered (baseball cap or cowboy hat is glued to my head and it usually comes off as I pass through the hatch.

I stand and uncover and salute the colors/National Anthem when appropriate. One time, at a National park, I was confronted and congratulated by a ranger who just raised morning Colors because I stood at attention and saluted from the moment he hooked the flag up until it was at full mast and secured for the day. It's just second nature to do it.

I did finally stop hollering "pass the F*kin pepper/salt at the table though.

I sit and stand straight. It's not unusual for someone to ask me if I was in the military before, of course my answer is always "I was a Marine"

Now if I could only lose this dang belly..............sheesh

FistFu68
01-31-08, 02:29 PM
:evilgrin: MY HEAD D.I TAUGHT ME HOW TOO CUSS.ATTITUDE CHECK-F-IT:evilgrin:

Ed Palmer
01-31-08, 02:37 PM
I still put my back to the wall in the shower when I drop the soap

thedrifter
01-31-08, 03:20 PM
Brian, you've been a Marine for about an hour, you boot!:banana: This thread isn't for you, you have to at least be away from boot camp for more then an hour or two in order to respond here! Semper Fi and welcome to the club, Marine. Now go give some poolees a pep talk,,,

LMAO:D

Young ones always need guideness;)

Ellie

DOC WEB
01-31-08, 03:39 PM
LMAO:D

Young ones always need guideness;)

Ellie

I think its guidance.....lol.... but I understood.

Apache
01-31-08, 03:40 PM
All the above plus military creases and military folds in the rear of my Civie issued shirts.
Doged on for shined shoes.
ALWAYS early for appointments
And this boot camp was 1965 !

timreich
01-31-08, 03:52 PM
in civi's i cant walk and talk on the phone or have my hands in my pockets...and even when walking with civialian friends i find myself in step with them even though i try not to be

thewookie
01-31-08, 03:58 PM
I still put my back to the wall in the shower when I drop the soap

Why SSgt. do you do that, did you have a bad experience while you were in, or did you think that you was going to?

LeonardLawrence
01-31-08, 04:09 PM
Walking and cellphone/food thing. I think my 3 year old is "nasty" when she walks along eating her ice cream. I have to hide in a corner to make a cell call...or my car...no other comfortable place.

Early to everything...always, always.

Always carry my gear in my left hand. Never know who you may have to salute in first civ. div. So far NO ONE, but you never know.

Pay respects to Colors..

Tegan
01-31-08, 05:06 PM
They taught us to hit the deck, left over right snap, that was the ditty. And everytime I sit in my chair, I always say it in my head. All my laces are left over right as I am looking at them.. and today at chow, I noticed that i was sitting 45 degree angle, back straight with my empty hand on my knee. I thought that I had worked it out, but apparently its still there, and probably always will be. The stairs thing, I do it too. hehe..

Phantom Blooper
01-31-08, 05:10 PM
FIST beat me to it they taught me how to cuss!:beer:

SlingerDun
01-31-08, 06:28 PM
I dont carry a wallet cause the unsightly bulges:cool: and i lose them:mad:

cash is folded in left front trouser pocket and cards inside coat pocket or buttoned shirt pocket.

loosely blouse shirts and sometimes i'll open the fly zipper reach in and tug the tails down hehe.

wear a few heavyweight khaki or camel shirts like the Creightons often when its hot yes sometimes i do press and lightly starch

dont sit bolt upright feet flat and all that cause it makes my back sore.

do sometimes pull, clip or burn Irish pennants/Russian rapelling ropes from garments

keep my hair short and cant stand it on the back of my neck and over the ears

hummm or sing cadence when on a tiresome hike, especially when its hot etc...

sparkie
01-31-08, 06:36 PM
Whats the crap about never being late? The posts suprised me. I can't be late for Anything. It got so bad, I tried to be late for work once, but failed. Why, or how is this a Marine Corps thing? I had no idea.

I have noticed that when setting up a family trip, I plan for EVERY possibility. Camping, fishing, picnic,shooting. I've left nothing out. Is that a Corps thing too? This thread is scaring me.

8th&I Marine
01-31-08, 07:51 PM
My civies are always ironed with a military crease. I am always at attention when I hear colors. I still step off with my left foot.

Cantrell:flag:

jrhd97
01-31-08, 08:36 PM
Whats the crap about never being late? The posts suprised me. I can't be late for Anything. It got so bad, I tried to be late for work once, but failed. Why, or how is this a Marine Corps thing? I had no idea.

I have noticed that when setting up a family trip, I plan for EVERY possibility. Camping, fishing, picnic,shooting. I've left nothing out. Is that a Corps thing too? This thread is scaring me.
It must be. I never worried much about being on time ( but usually not late) before the Corps. Growing up in the scouts and Royal Rangers I always planned, but not to the extent I do now. I tend to stock pile stuff. The wife sais it's called being a pack rat. You never know when you'll need it.

Phantom Blooper
01-31-08, 08:46 PM
I have noticed that when setting up a family trip, I plan for EVERY possibility. Camping, fishing, picnic,shooting. I've left nothing out.

Sparkie when I take my RV somewhere even for a couple days.... I always have a SMEAC and a checklist. Be prepared is not just a Boy Scout thing.Same with any function.. or trip.Sounds like your right in line to me!:beer:

:evilgrin:

gutinstinct
01-31-08, 08:55 PM
Brian, you've been a Marine for about an hour, you boot!:banana: This thread isn't for you, you have to at least be away from boot camp for more then an hour or two in order to respond here! Semper Fi and welcome to the club, Marine. Now go give some poolees a pep talk,,,That was funny,:)

capmarine
01-31-08, 10:01 PM
i tuck my shirt in,pull the shirt to the side so it is tight in the back-dont know what that is called,but you all know what i mean.i still workout like im going to war again.i eat so fast i sometimes forget what i just ate.everyone knows i was a Marine and i dont let anyone forget it,especially my football boys(im a HS substitute and work with the football team)

huey guns
02-02-08, 12:08 AM
no hands in pockts, blouse my shirts, still shine some boots with polish that I set on fire first.

RLeon
02-02-08, 01:38 AM
With the exception of PVT Johansen most of this stuff are not things you still do from boot camp. They are things you still do from the Fleet.
Just face it, you all have CMS.
:D

davblay
02-02-08, 02:03 AM
I have noticed that, in the past few years, I can spot a Marine, 7 times out of 10, a mile away! No matter how old he is! The bloused Shirt, the shined shoes, the haircut, the way he carries himself in general. His way of speaking always gives him away. But I have trouble with those damned WMs. They blend right in, until you get to know them, drinking/talking with them! LMAO! :marine:

Yep we all still do pretty much the same things, I even use a lot of my DIs statements when I am talking to kids that I know! You never forget that time in your life!

That's my 2 cents!

Dave

Zulu 36
02-02-08, 09:13 AM
I still do many of the same things everyone else does. Step off with the left foot, stand and salute for colors, stand at attention for the Marine Hymn, put my trouser belt in from the left first, shoe/boot laces left over right, always have a pen and notebook available (that's probably more of an NCO and police officer habit), neatly pressed dress clothing and Scout uniforms (although I've come to accept wearing blue jeans and t-shirts straight from the dryer). Shined leather gear.

I wear a ball cap almost always in casual attire (USMC or Vietnam vet type) and uncover as soon as I walk indoors. But, I have also come to terms that it is not against the law to wear my cover indoors sometimes.

Keeping my right hand empty for saluting or gun drawing (part Marine, part police). AND I get angry when someone puts fingerprints on my shoe shine or other shiny stuff.

I don't run up ladderways anymore as the arthritis really protests at that sh*t. I still eat way too fast for polite civilian company.

Then there is the one habit that absolutely drove my ex-wife nuts was ALWAYS being early for appointments and being an absolute azzhole when I was forced to be late. She had the Cuban/Caribbean attitude towards time (a half-hour to an hour late is OK). What really p*sses her off is I trained my three kids to view being late the same way I do. So, at one point she had four very cranky people to deal with when she was forcing us to be late. :marine:

Marine84
02-02-08, 09:21 AM
Utilize my time, ALWAYS early, no Irish penants, eat fast and get out.

mcvet57103
02-02-08, 09:45 AM
I still say "make a hole", "Gang Way", "Squared Away", and "sh*tbird". Take off my cover when indoors, Never Ever late for anything, and don't make excuses when I screw up. Oh and I still say OooRah on almost a daily basis.

sparkie
02-02-08, 10:01 AM
Things I DON'T do.,,,,,

Starch my skivvies
Call my wife a $hitbird.
Sleep at attention.
Sidestep through the kitchen,
Spitshine my tennies.
Watch for blue car stickers.
Fieldstrip my butts.
Maintain'A$$hole to belly button' in the DMV line
Say Goodnite to Chesty,,, she may be asleep.
Bunk with a Bunch of Bald guys.
Keep my 3 S'es in order.
Save water by showering with 60 friends.

Just to name a few,,,,,

RLeon
02-02-08, 10:04 AM
Things I DON'T do.,,,,,

Starch my skivvies
Call my wife a $hitbird.
Sleep at attention.
Sidestep through the kitchen,
Spitshine my tennies.
Watch for blue car stickers.
Fieldstrip my butts.
Maintain'A$$hole to belly button' in the DMV line
Say Goodnite to Chesty,,, she may be asleep.
Bunk with a Bunch of Bald guys.
Keep my 3 S'es in order.
Save water by showering with 60 friends.

Just to name a few,,,,,
LOL!

Oh and I still say OooRah on almost a daily basis.
Yup, extreme case of CMS.

mcvet57103
02-02-08, 10:14 AM
ROFLMFAO!!!! Yeah now that ya mention it I still take 3 min showers, and when I stay in motels I wear flip flops in the motel room and when I go to the pool.

outlaw3179
02-02-08, 10:47 AM
left hand left knee right hand right knee ready sit. begin.

Big Jim
02-02-08, 11:17 AM
Yep...I still do all of it!!! That just goes to prove how DEEP the intial training goes!! I can still wake up at the butt-crack of dawn and function with high efficiency and sh!t, shower and shave in less then 5 minutes when I need to!!!

I carpool with a friend of mine to work for the past 10 years and last month it was his turn to drive and my alarm didn't go off when he was knocking on the door!! I had a quick boot camp flash back and was sitting in the truck 7 minutes later eating a breakfast bar!! He couldn't believe it!! Truth be told...neither could I!!!

SGT7477
02-02-08, 11:24 AM
Yep...I still do all of it!!! That just goes to prove how DEEP the intial training goes!! I can still wake up at the butt-crack of dawn and function with high efficiency and sh!t, shower and shave in less then 5 minutes when I need to!!!

I carpool with a friend of mine to work for the past 10 years and last month it was his turn to drive and my alarm didn't go off when he was knocking on the door!! I had a quick boot camp flash back and was sitting in the truck 7 minutes later eating a breakfast bar!! He couldn't believe it!! Truth be told...neither could I!!!
Once A Marine Always A Marine,:flag:

E L Marion Jr
02-02-08, 11:42 AM
Still tuck in my boot and go faster laces, step off with the left foot, and take my shaving gear to the head.:evilgrin:

Sgt Jim
02-02-08, 02:35 PM
Still step off with left foot,field strip cigg butts,stand at parade rest,still call a hat a cover,still have a pair of boots you can see to shave with.think about it ? we never left the Marine Corps !

mcvet57103
02-02-08, 02:51 PM
Still step off with left foot,field strip cigg butts,stand at parade rest,still call a hat a cover,still have a pair of boots you can see to shave with.think about it ? we never left the Marine Corps !

And I don't want to leave. I will be a Marine in heart and soul even in the afterlife.

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? [Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983]

yellowwing
02-02-08, 03:27 PM
I still make sure that all buttons are fastened on my jackets, coats and trousers.

sparkie
02-02-08, 03:30 PM
At our age, Wing, we're lucky to check our zipper.

mcvet57103
02-02-08, 03:45 PM
At our age, Wing, we're lucky to check our zipper.

Zipper!? I wear sweats most days. LOL

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold. [1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC; in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918]

Matt Brzycki
02-02-08, 04:54 PM
I still "blouse" my shirts at the sides before tucking them into my trousers. Even if it's a T-shirt and even if it's shorts.

When I wear a belt, I align the buckle with the trousers or shorts as per MC regs.

I also keep the shirts hanging in my closet from short-sleeve to long-sleeve and from the lightest color to the darkest color.

I grow a beard in the winter months (Nov to Apr) and keep a 'stash at other times. The 'stash is trimmed to MC regs.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

tntmondy
02-02-08, 05:25 PM
NEVER EVER late, always early. My kids have learned that is much easier to deal with being early then my wrath if we are on time or late. My boot laces are left over right, no hands in my pockets. Highly organized and always prepared when going on trips.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-02-08, 05:58 PM
Put after shave in the toilet for the pretty color..... Nope just kidding.:) Still have the high and tight though.

Roger Shepherd
02-02-08, 06:21 PM
I still want to eat fast and I still look every now an then on collars too see what rank they have.

DUFFER
02-02-08, 09:04 PM
Lace all shoes left over right, align my belt buckle with the zipper and shirt (with buttons). Still polish my shoes for work (get laughed at by the slackers). Use startch and crease all slacks and shirts. Tell folks to "square themselves away" I could go on and on.... Semper Fi ALL!

SlingerDun
02-02-08, 10:31 PM
The sillyvilians are gonna start hollerin brainwashing, LOUDER and with good cause after reading these postings.

Sure would feel good to infiltrate the soviet berkely's pinko site and post these here comments :usmc:

crate78
02-03-08, 09:54 PM
Should have mentioned in my earlier post, respect authority and obey laws and regulations.

Knock on doors before entering.

If you need to chew out someone junior to you, do it in private.

Don't tell someone else to do something you wouldn't do yourself--and expect reciprocation.

crate

Wyoming
02-03-08, 10:33 PM
Expanding my list, of one -

Don't interrupt the speaker - let them finish.
Respect the National Anthem, the Flag, and the Pledge of Allegiance.
DO NOT wear a cover indoors.
Open doors for the weaker sex (I really don't need any grief over this, it's just a generation thing).
Keep my shoes and boots shined and in good shape.
My shirt is ALWAYS tucked in, along with wearing a belt.
Irish pendants, or whatever they are called today, drive me batty.
On time, by a minimum of 5 minutes. NEVER LATE!! It kills me.
My hair may not be high and tight, but it ain't long and scraggly. I don't need to climb a tree to take a ****.

I know there are more, and I, along with others, will prolly continue to come up with them.

My compliments to the thread starter, a Marine who just happens to be a Female, and to the Duffer and Marine84, but I would really like to hear more of their thoughts. It seems there would be more of a difference between the boys and girls.

SlingerDun
02-03-08, 11:30 PM
DO NOT wear a cover indoorsI've noticed variations of this in working cowboys/buckaroos/punchers etc that use to puzzle me but its pretty clear now.

When a hand enters the cookhouse or cooktent hats come off. If theres no pegs they lay heaped in the corner. Covers tend to stay on when feeding at cafes like Denny's and they never or rarely come off in a beer joint, or a gymnasium dance unless a waddie briefly removes it while doing a ducking swing dance maneuver. They come off in a fist fight. Hats are removed when anthems are played, funerals and before entering a church. Visiting a doctor or lawyer or anybody's office and the hats usually come off but some may take their time uncovering, other indoor workplaces and hats tend to stay on. Working cowhands remove their lid before entering somebodys home even if its a pauper living in a rundown single wide. If they dont respect a person the hat might go back on before they leave their digs. Journeymen cowhands no the right hat etiquette for any situation with few murky areas. Feedlot cowboys and outiftters are usually not as detailed about these traditions and it hardly pertains at all with rodeo cowboys and the saturday night dude's because they are not expected to know it.

--->Dave

SGTBrentG
02-04-08, 12:42 AM
Still check my military alignment....my belt with my shirt with my trousers....stand at attention during the national anthem. Just caught myself last night while out to dinner with the wife sitting with heels touching and at a 45...

RLeon
02-04-08, 01:24 AM
As for the whole cover wearing thing...

Hat etiquette has greatly decined ever since men quit wearing hats as common custom in the 60s.

As we all know Marines only wear headgear indoor when under arms unless they are entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted.

Here is some basic hat etiquette for civilians;

Hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady (remove your hat if you stop to talk), or to "say" to anyone, male or female – thank you, excuse me, hello, goodbye, you’re welcome or how do you do.

Tipping of the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness. This hat tipping custom has the same origin as military saluting, which came from the raising of medieval Knights face visors to show friendliness.

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in any building that can be classified as a dwelling such as an apartment house or hotel. He puts it on again in the corridor.

A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

Hats are removed for the National Anthem, passing of the Flag and funeral processions, outdoor weddings, dedications, and photographs.
(This goes for vets too. It you are not in uniform, you're supposed to remove your headgear with your right hand and hold it at the left shoulder with your right hand covering your heart, you do not salute or stand at attention. Section 7. Us Flag Code.)

It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, (it was once required, but the custom has all but disappeared) but disrespectful for men to wear them.

A woman may leave her hat on indoors or during the playing of The National Anthem, unless it is considered unisex like a baseball cap. When wearing such a unisex cap, a woman should follow the same guidelines as for men.
-- Andy Gilchrist

:marine:

LeonardLawrence
02-04-08, 01:48 AM
Slinger and RLeon,
I never knew hats (covers) were so complicated. I always take it off inside, just in case.

Also...for Marines...As we all know Marines only wear headgear indoor when under arms unless they are entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted.........

Two other places immediately come to mind, when there is no cover....one being a military courtroom (learned that the hard way, thanks Colonel) and the flightline...

SlingerDun
02-04-08, 02:33 AM
Slinger and RLeon,
I never knew hats (covers) were so complicatedHe lives under a hat and its the only thing between him and the lord out there from dark till dark. Dont touch waddies hat or comment on it even if it looks and smells like a fouled chamber pot. If it falls off near your feet and he's horseback glance to see what he's gonna do first, if it looks like he's gonna dismount dont pick it up. Theres unwritten volumes of etiquette on most every entity in his life. It is complex and i've forgotten alot but heres a few more nuggets; dont ride another hands horse, beat it, or even cuss the animal. He'll fight for that. dont ride out in front of another man. dont cut in front of his "circle" wether he is gathering animals or sitting loosely smokin and jokin with others, thats his perimeter same same breaking ranks and never walk or stand between the cook and his fire, go around. Where space is abundant and people often work alone or in small crews there are more rules the closer you get to another human. It's kinda like grunt'n where you keep your distance when your supposed to.

--->Dave

SlingerDun
02-04-08, 03:21 AM
take my shaving gear to the head.:evilgrin:Just remembered i purchased a heavyduty yellow nylon mesh laundry bag on the Coral Sea in 80' and once i no longer needed it for nasty clothes it became a shower kit. The giant safety pin is gone but i've been using this bag for about 25 years:sick:

I dont leave anything in the bathroom but steam and stink hehehe. come to think of it neither does pops who is a former Marine.

PatriotGirl422
02-04-08, 08:59 AM
My compliments to the thread starter, a Marine who just happens to be a Female, and to the Duffer and Marine84, but I would really like to hear more of their thoughts. It seems there would be more of a difference between the boys and girls.

To be honest, on a day to day basis we really learned all of the same ettiquette as the males. All of the things you guys have stated are things that I learned. I think they really actually try to emphasize these days that we are Marines, and that we're not special because we're women. So, they teach us all the same things. Afterall, a lot of the things we've mentioned have to do with training yourself for drill movements, respect, and looking good in uniform- That's required of all Marines!
But I'm sure back in the day when they still had tea parties and make up classes (I read about that lol) for females, they probably learned a lot of different ettiquette.

I'm sure some of the values they taught us about not becoming "that female" who hooks up with everyone on the base might be unique to us women, but other than that all the physical ettiquette is the same.

I do remember that certain things were physically hard for me to get used to, because we were taught to be very aggressive and short spoken. So that was probably easier for guys to adapt to since they're taught that at birth. So, that took some getting used to. A lot of girls had to train themselves to not cross their legs or to not give long explanations for everything. We're just not taught that at birth, but we figured it out really quick.

grunt1967
02-04-08, 09:40 AM
When I get up in the mornings the bed is made even before a head call!

DWG
02-04-08, 09:50 AM
It's been 40 years and I still have a problem with referring to a Drill Instuctor as anything else (like D.I.) :evilgrin: I still don't do it unless I glance over my shoulder real quick!:scared:

Artemis
02-04-08, 11:49 AM
I have a habit of looking over my family before we go out to make sure that there are no IPs, dirty spots ect. Always 15 minutes early for anything because if you are on time you are late. If I am walking with someone I am in step with them. Always bring my food to mouth and not my mouth to my food. When waiting for appointments at the VA or job interviews I always sit at attention and if necassary give my seat up to an elder vet.

paqflaq
02-08-08, 09:40 AM
I've been out since '94. I wear a uniform for the city I work for, and they hang in my closet as if I were still in.

Crusader20
02-08-08, 12:55 PM
[quote=MoparScott]I called a quick meeting in my office last week, the words "Form a horseshoe" just popped out of my mouth. I wonder where I heard that before...hmmm:evilgrin:

LOL, I find myself doing some of the same things at meetings. Eyeballs! SitRep! Freaking this Freaking That! :p

maverickmarine
02-08-08, 02:23 PM
I absolutely hate being late! Things are much better for everyone involved if we just show up early and wait. Hurry Up and Wait..Say it! I also need my house squared away and spend quit a bit of time making sure it stays that way. Sometimes a field day is needed to get it up to par. I also always wear a belt with jeans or trousers, eyeball my gig line and always check for Irish Pennants.

FistFu68
02-08-08, 03:38 PM
:evilgrin: I STILL BLOUSE MY HUNTING BOOTS :evilgrin:

packy46
02-08-08, 11:08 PM
Things I still do from boot camp.
1.Salute the flag.
2.My family serves up their food before me.
(My crew eats first,Fleet Marine thing)
3.Short hair.
4.No fluff dries.
5.Polished shoes.
6.Belt goes in the loops from the left-always.
7.Up early.
It goes on.....
Some things won't change.
S/F
Tim.

catherineusmc
02-08-08, 11:34 PM
I still can't walk on grass or carry anything in my right hand. I also feed my belt in from the left, and feel weird not wearing a belt.

Big Jim
02-08-08, 11:37 PM
I still can't walk on grass or carry anything in my right hand.

Yep...me either. Just habit huh? I still use Kiwi black boot polish to buff my boots for work once a week or more. But I have to go in the garage to do it...it gets all over! The smell takes me back! AAAhhhh....memories! LOL!

Eric Hood
02-09-08, 08:28 AM
I am almost always early. Thought I got it from my father, WWII Navy. Maybe it's the Marine Corp's. I sometimes sing boot camp cadence--Does anyone do that? I can't stand putting my hands in my pocket and sometimes tell others not to do it.
I look down on people, who are not Marines.:usmc:

sparkie
02-09-08, 08:55 AM
"2.My family serves up their food before me.
(My crew eats first,Fleet Marine thing)"
LOL, forgot about that one, Funny, I never eat until I know there is enough for everyone. [Having a teenage boy, SOO many times I have said, "No, I don't want it , you can have it.] Missed out on a lot of seconds.

sparkie
02-09-08, 08:57 AM
Who here has a can of Brasso in their garage? Besides me, of course.

yellowwing
02-09-08, 09:19 AM
I always push my chair in after chow, even in restaraunts. It really nags me when other don't. Just one of those things.

maverickmarine
02-09-08, 11:32 AM
Oh, I still freakin' sing cadence. Both marching and running cadence. It is such a regular thing that people that know hardly even take notice.

Eric Hood
02-09-08, 02:38 PM
Easy there any other way to thread a a belt?

jrhd97
02-09-08, 09:38 PM
Yep, still have one.

davblay
02-09-08, 10:59 PM
I have given this a lot of thought, and I don't believe I have one bad habit form the Corps! Well except that when I get around another Marine I tend to use that Boot Camp mouth and language, that is! LMAO!
:marine:
DANG IT, I have the same problems as you all do plus some I guess, huh?

Semper Fi,

Dave

rb1651
02-10-08, 10:37 AM
Hey sparkie, I keep one in the garage to clean the wheels on my truck, one under the kitchen sink to clean the faucet and drain strainers, and one out in my workshop to polish the brass stamps I put on my woodworking projects. Love that stuff!!!!

FeMzZ
02-10-08, 03:41 PM
Utilize my time, ALWAYS early, no Irish penants, eat fast and get out.

whats this about Irish Penants? I saw another guy who said he burns them or something

jrhd97
02-10-08, 03:48 PM
whats this about Irish Penants? I saw another guy who said he burns them or something
They are little strings that hang off your clothing. You cut them, or better burn them off.

kaboom1371
02-10-08, 04:07 PM
The over run of thread that that sticks out of the seems when they stitch the garment.

maverickmarine
02-10-08, 05:50 PM
Yeah, you don't remember anyone ever talking about fleas repelling of those irish pennants? LOL. That was my signature saying to my Marines when they needed a little assistance with squaring themselves away. LOL

SgtHopperUSMC
02-19-08, 04:59 AM
Never say "repeat" over my radio at work.:) Still have high and tight. Still bark.:confused:

azform
02-19-08, 06:12 AM
bootcamp..hmm 1965...Take charge of this post and all government property in view.... My favorite general order is Sound the Alarm in case of fire. <br />
I remember heating up polish to shine shoes and...

PatriotGirl422
02-19-08, 08:38 AM
Haha this morning when I was standing outside of my classroom waiting for class everyone was just leaning up against the walls or, worse yet, sitting on the deck. I caught myself standing with my feet at a 45 degree angle. I felt kinda crazy, so I quickly snapped to parade rest. You all still think I'm normal, right?

davblay
02-19-08, 09:25 AM
Haha this morning when I was standing outside of my classroom waiting for class everyone was just leaning up against the walls or, worse yet, sitting on the deck. I caught myself standing with my feet at a 45 degree angle. I felt kinda crazy, so I quickly snapped to parade rest. You all still think I'm normal, right?

You just sound like a BOOT L/CPL, that's all! Good to go Girl! Oh and congrats on your promotion!

Dave

RLeon
02-19-08, 02:10 PM

LOL, didn't you just get out of boot camp last week?
:D

vision836
02-19-08, 02:26 PM
Still tuck in my shoe or boot laces. Letting them hang out is unsat.

DWG
02-19-08, 03:07 PM

You're asking this bunch about "normal"?:nerd: :banana:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-19-08, 03:21 PM
I still think kill as a response to anything is moto.

"Alright, i'll talk to you later"

"Kill"

Press my cover with a roll of toilet paper and step off with the left foot. I like to frequently use the term "Hello Retard..." as a way to start off a good session of correcting Marines.

mcvet57103
02-19-08, 03:31 PM
I still think kill as a response to anything is moto.

"Alright, i'll talk to you later"

"Kill"

Press my cover with a roll of toilet paper and step off with the left foot. I like to frequently use the term "Hello Retard..." as a way to start off a good session of correcting Marines.

Read this thread Wounded Marine Conquers Berkeley (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60976) and you might be tempted to take some buddies to Berkeley and lock and load. I know it totally p*ssed me off. California is truly the granolla state.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-19-08, 04:01 PM
Why SSgt. do you do that, did you have a bad experience while you were in, or did you think that you was going to?Hmmm the inmates here at the prison do the same thing! ha ( No I am not an inmate )

aang
02-19-08, 04:33 PM
As funny as this may sound I still fold my pillow in half and this is the only way to get my grape to sleep at night.

2ndCEBSupply
02-19-08, 04:44 PM
i

jrhd97
02-19-08, 05:12 PM
i
??????????

zx6rdr
02-19-08, 05:20 PM
I still:

-Lace my boots the same way, and always tuck in the laces.
-Once I get home and take my boots off the flip-flops go on until lights out.
-Left foot first! Left boot put on first! Left pant leg on first!
-Cant stand if my belt is longer that 2" off the buckle
-Eat chow like it is the last time I will.
-Hydrate all day long with two huge glasses before bed.

Damn!!! Until I read this post I didn't think I still did anything from BOOT.....

mcvet57103
02-19-08, 06:12 PM
I still:

-Lace my boots the same way, and always tuck in the laces.
-Once I get home and take my boots off the flip-flops go on until lights out.
-Left foot first! Left boot put on first! Left pant leg on first!
-Cant stand if my belt is longer that 2" off the buckle
-Eat chow like it is the last time I will.
-Hydrate all day long with two huge glasses before bed.

Damn!!! Until I read this post I didn't think I still did anything from BOOT.....

Pretty scarry isn't it? I have kept up on this post from the first, and I gotta tell ya I didn't realize just how many mannerism I still have, and I got out in 1978. 30 years ago!!! Oh sweet chesty!! I AM an "old" salt!! lol

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-19-08, 06:20 PM
Read this thread Wounded Marine Conquers Berkeley (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60976) and you might be tempted to take some buddies to Berkeley and lock and load. I know it totally p*ssed me off. California is truly the granolla state.

You know what it makes me want to do...eas instead of reenlisting. Driving straight to Berkley and reupping there, so that those recruiters can still make mission...and perhaps bring hell with me to that town.

SgtThrasher
02-19-08, 06:32 PM
Parrris Island Sept-Dec 1965,Do you recall making a head call and drinking out of your hands.We never drink
from a scuttlebutt (water fountain).Still eat too fast,
our DI's would anounce we're having duck today ladies(duck in and duck out ie, eat faster.Still pleat
and crease my shirt tail.Cover(never hat),Bulkhead,
pogey bait,blouse my boots when hunting.Hands in
pocket,unshined shoes,Irish Pennants,posture.I can
still remember all 3 DI'S cadence.Sand Feas,Once a
Marine always a Marine is more than words.

sparkie
02-19-08, 07:30 PM
I do many a service call, And when I get thirsty, yea I'll drink outta the head sink. Is that a Marine thing? I thought I was just Uncooth.

FistFu68
02-19-08, 07:37 PM
:evilgrin: WHEN I GET LOCKED UP I STILL THROW A "1-MAN" BLANKET PARTY FOR THE FUCER SNORING TOO LOUD :mad: :D

sparkie
02-19-08, 07:48 PM
Fist, Didn't know you could be 'locked up' in the Wal Mart bathroom with Rosie Palm.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-19-08, 10:13 PM
ouch!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-19-08, 11:25 PM
owned

catherineusmc
02-19-08, 11:38 PM
You know what it makes me want to do...eas instead of reenlisting. Driving straight to Berkley and reupping there, so that those recruiters can still make mission...and perhaps bring hell with me to that town.
That's a nice thought, but they are officer recruiters...I dunno if they do enlisted as well?

cpl liz
02-21-08, 01:44 PM
Still step off with the left. Walk in step with others. NEVER EVER Late. Stand @ attention during national anthem or the Marine Corp hymn. Blouse my shirts. Plan every little detail for a trip. No hands in pockets. Eat like a starving pubescent boy. I guess it never goes away, been over 30 + years.

pheartnov2904
02-22-08, 06:59 PM
I have been 15 minutes early to everything since I stepped off of the yellow footprints.

YUUUUUUUUUUUT

PatriotGirl422
02-22-08, 07:27 PM
I swear, I can't stand how slow civilians walk! I get stuck walking behind groups of them around campus, and sometimes I get so frustrated that I slip and say "Step it the **** out". I mean, I'm 5 feet tall. There's no reason why I should be walking on the heels of 6 foot tall guys. Damn civilians need to walk with some pride.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-22-08, 07:32 PM
I swear, I can't stand how slow civilians walk! I get stuck walking behind groups of them around campus, and sometimes I get so frustrated that I slip and say "Step it the **** out". I mean, I'm 5 feet tall. There's no reason why I should be walking on the heels of 6 foot tall guys. Damn civilians need to walk with some pride.

kill

jahhead88
02-22-08, 07:35 PM
Anytime I wear a tie clip, the tie is between the third and fourth button and centered. When I was first married my wife and I used to argue over my wanting to make our queen size beds with hospital corners.

I step off with the left foot, the only time I step on grass is when I am mowing it.

mcvet57103
02-22-08, 09:38 PM

ROFLMAO!! It doesn't change through the years. I am an old salt and untill you mentioned this I had forgotten. Now I realize why I get so impatient in malls and the like. There are times I am in Wally world or K-mart where I want to yell "GANG WAY!!!" or "MAKE A HOLE!!!" Get so tired of people who shop like they drive. Thank you for bringing that back. It's amazing how many things I do automatically, and have forgotten it was drilled into me in Boot.

Hemispherical
02-22-08, 11:31 PM

oohrah to that haha

maverickmarine
02-23-08, 05:47 AM

Holy chit, I didn't even think about that one! That drives me freakin' crazy! The sad part is that it doesn't get any better as you are older. Make a hole, make a freakin' hole! LOL

PatriotGirl422
02-29-08, 08:22 AM
Ok I have a good one (it never ends lol). This one is something that I do from Leatherneck though, not boot camp...
My one class has all of our homework and assignments, due dates, and syllabus all on a website that the teacher runs. We get all our homework and other information off of it. Well, yesterday this one student raises her hand and goes "Where on the site is the assignment posted?" Then another kid asks "Where are all the math formulas posted?" And I literally said out loud to the person next to me "God dammit people need to learn to search for things before asking questions!"

I immediately thought of all you Marines and our anger at poolees/wannabes for not using the search function before asking how to go Recon or what to bring to boot camp!

OB MSG
02-29-08, 08:48 AM
*Belly Laughing*

PG422- that is awesome! I went back to school myself a couple of years ago after I EAS'd and I was killing people by still using Navy Speak. I had one guy in one of my classes though who was a Squid. Him I would go on jags of mil-speak much to the confusion of the youngins around us. Not only that, but I still can't walk a flight of stairs, unless I'm with someone. If I'm alone, I have to bound up them. Can't help it, got to get there ASAP!

GunsUp
02-29-08, 09:44 AM
"Hi... My name is Scott and I am a Marine..."
Okay, that out of the way (I feel like this is therapy). After reflection and reading this post, I have to admit that:

I have a can of brasso and neverdull/duraglit in my garage.
If you not 15 mins early, you're 15 mins late
Hanging shirts and trouser face the hatch
Step off with my left, fall into step with other former Marines
In my group of friends, there's always the senior, ranking Marine
Laces are left over right
Shovel my food down like there's never going to be anymore
Use a lot of naval and military terms in my daily speech
Sh*t, shower, and shave in 10 mins
Flip flops in the shower at work (I work at a remote site so I live here here on a 2X2 week basis and it's just like living in the squad bay or barracks)
When I deliver safety meetings in the field, I sometimes tell the guys to "take a knee" so I can look down at them a maintain a position of authority.
Drives my wife nuts because I taught the kids to make their beds with hospital corners.
Slip into calling my Dad Sergeant Major when we are around a lot of former military. (This I still question but then again, not everyone gets to be the SGM).
Still respond to the boss with a "Roger that Sir"

Well, I could go on for hours but have to put the fire to a few knuckleheads...

dotgrunt
02-29-08, 11:09 AM
never late for anything, still have my hair/sideburns neat and trim,
but the one thing i still do without fail is getting dressed in front of
a mirror and lining up the shirt front seam with the pants zipper seam
and then also the belt and when my wife sees me doing this she always
says:"doing the Marine thing dear" and i graduated from P.I. in 1961!

Bernard9601
02-29-08, 11:25 AM
I still match up my gig line from shirt collar down to belt buckle and fly. That might be more of a thing from my 5 yrs in. Like the rest of you I always step off with the left foot and try to keep my black shoes polished. I definately do NOT get up early anymore if I can help it! And I do a lot of workouts but never push ups anymore, I spent too much time on DI Sgt. Lawson's quarterdeck in the summer of 96.

rktect3j
02-29-08, 12:24 PM
I have been 15 minutes early to everything since I stepped off of the yellow footprints.

YUUUUUUUUUUUT
Is that where I got that from? ;)

PatriotGirl422
03-05-08, 07:12 PM
Another thing I noticed today. I can not stand when people drag their feet! It used to never bother me, but I just find myself wanting to scream "Pick up your feet when you walk!" I feel like those people are so ****ing lazy.

E5NAMKROW
03-05-08, 07:34 PM
Still Wear My Cover Squarely On The Grape, Outside Of Course.
Position Of Attention To The Colors, Marines Hymn, Etc. Left Over Right Laces On The Boots/shoes. The Lingo Is Still There As Well....at Ease, Locked On Etc. My Grandfather Still Does These Things At 80 Years Of Age.

yellowwing
03-05-08, 07:49 PM
Another thing I noticed today. I can not stand when people drag their feet! It used to never bother me, but I just find myself wanting to scream "Pick up your feet when you walk!" I feel like those people are so ****ing lazy.
Related to, "Get your eyeballs off the deck!" Folks walking around only looking at their feet.

FistFu68
03-05-08, 08:00 PM
:evilgrin: THAT'S CALLED LOW SELF-ESTEEM :evilgrin: :iwo:

semperfi170
03-05-08, 08:15 PM
Still spit shine leather dress shoes, re-iron creases on shirts and trousers when they come back from the cleaners, laces left over right, stand at attention for National Anthem, render honors to first U.S. flag in a parade, even though it isn't a uniform cover, take hat off indoors, walk as in marching with eyes looking ahead (not at the deck), don't walk with hands in pockets or even stand around with hands in pocket, address seniors with Sir or Ma'am, and last but not least stand at attention for our beloved Hymn (and sometimes even have to wipe the sweat from the eyes afterwards). Also, don't let anyone get away with calling me an ex- or former Marine without telling them Once a Marine, Aways a Marine!

Also, still eat too damn fast most of the time.

PatriotGirl422
03-06-08, 09:44 AM
Another thing I can't stand is people who don't understand that you stay to the right side when going up stairs or walking down a sidewalk. They run into me and do that stupid left right left right motion, and I'm just like "retard go to the right"

SGT7477
03-06-08, 09:50 AM
Ahh time to throw the uppercut,lol.

SakranMM
03-06-08, 10:53 AM
Always early (sometimes too early); still eat my food very quickly. Was at MCRD San Diego March - May 1998.