PDA

View Full Version : Local teachers, officials observe Marine training at Parris Island

thedrifter
01-30-08, 06:20 AM
Local teachers, officials observe Marine training at Parris Island
Jan 29, 2008 @ 11:03 PM
By CHRIS HARRIS
The Herald-Dispatch

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. -- Nearly a dozen Tri-State teachers and educators got a chance to stand in a Marine's footsteps by participating in the recent U.S. Marine Corps Educator Workshop.

They boarded a plane in Charleston in mid-January and headed to Parris Island, S.C., where Marine Corps recruits go through basic training.

For three days, they got a first-hand look at the five phases of Marine Corps recruit training. The training is designed to help educators understand what options military service provides for students. It also gives insight into what it takes to become a Marine, said Master Sgt. Brian Layne of the Marine Corps Recruiting Huntington Substation.

"We look for teachers who are unfamiliar with what the military does," Layne said. "(The workshop) allows educators an opportunity to see what we, as Marine Corps, do. Hopefully, it was an eye-opening experience."

The educators who participated had applied for the experience and were chosen on a first-come, first-served basis.

The workshop kicked off at the Receiving Building, where new recruits begin the 12-week boot camp. The recruits literally take their first steps toward becoming Marines by standing on the famous yellow footprints, which are outside of the Receiving Building, and facing their drill instructors for the first time.

Educators, with a little encouragement, got a chance to stand on the footprints and face drill instructors themselves. In the "receiving" process, new recruits are issued everything they will need during their training, including uniforms and basic hygiene items. Here, they also get their first phone call home and haircuts.

Educators ate lunch on the rifle range with recruits who were in the marksmanship portion of boot camp. They even received instruction on firing an M-16 A2 service rifle and then got to fire the rifle.

"Shooting the M-16 was a fantastic experience," said Brian Eerenberg, who teaches ninth-grade American history at Huntington High. "You expect a lot more kick from an M-16, but it definitely allowed for easy operation, and I can see how it would get the job done. I hit almost every target I shot at, and I am an amateur shooter."

The first day concluded with a tour of the VMFA 251 Hanger Bay. Here, the educators got to see Capt. Nicole Aunapu, who is a single seat F/A-18 pilot in the Marine Corps, land her plane. The day ended with dinner at the Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort's Officers Club.

The second day began with instruction and a brief demonstration at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Swim Tank, one of the world's largest indoor pools. Educators were then taken to the Second Recruit Training Battalion's barracks for a quick glimpse of a typical morning for a recruit. Lunch was then served at the First Recruit Training Battalion's chow hall, where visitors were afforded the opportunity to talk with recruits from around the Tri-State.

Next came a martial arts instruction and demonstration, after which educators got to spar with Marines. The day's activities concluded with a tour of the "Crucible." This obstacle course, which takes 54 hours to complete, is a rite of passage for all Marines. Upon completion of this grueling test, recruits receive their "Eagle, Globe and Anchor," the symbol of the Marine Corps.

On the final day, all of the educators gathered to witness the Morning Colors Ceremony, after which Brig. Gen. Paul E. Lefebvre, commanding general for the eastern recruiting region, thanked the visitors for their efforts and participation.

"The morning Colors Ceremony was a great end to the week," said Allie Jenkins, a Tolsia High School guidance counselor. "As an educator, it evoked the emotion that I am truly proud of what the Marine Corps is doing with our youth and what they are doing in the world today. I am thankful for the experience and feel that it has helped me to better identify which of our kids are best for the Marine experience and what the Marines have to offer."

The final event for the visitors was witnessing the graduation of Alpha Company 1st Battalion.

Educators saw the experience as a chance to help guide students.

"The insight I gained into one of the most respected branches of the military is invaluable," Eerenberg said. "I can share with students exactly what it is like to experience part of this journey and how these young men and women thrive in a setting that builds honor, courage, commitment and successful integration into adulthood -- a goal to reach for all students. I merely viewed a class of graduating Marines, but the pride I felt at that ceremony for both those young men, and our country, will stick with me for a lifetime."

The experience, which was afforded to educators from Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia and West Virginia, was completely paid for by the Marines, including airfare, food and lodging.

"I am thankful for the experience and feel that it has helped me to better identify which of our kids are best for the Marine experience and what the Marines have to offer," Jenkins said.

Chris Harris is a photographer for The Herald-Dispatch and a former Marine. An Chaboudy of Huntington, who went on the trip, and The Herald-Dispatch reporter Bill Rosenberger contributed to this story.

Ellie