PDA

View Full Version : Met a Chosin vet...

sfearing
01-30-08, 02:07 AM
Yes, I met an Air Force man who was TDY with the Marines during the Chosin battles Nov. and Dec. 1950. It seems that I will have a chance to talk with him again and perhaps even interview him next month. I want to ask him some questions but I would love to have input from the historians among you.

This much I know so far:
His name is George H. Pierce
He was attached to a group commanded by Capt. Jones (from Alabama or Mississippi, I think).
His job was possibly Forward Air Control (I need to nail this down).

Any tips? So, what questions should I ask him?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Phantom Blooper
01-30-08, 04:45 AM
Here is a TIP....Fill in your Profile and your may get some more TIPS!:evilgrin:

sfearing
01-31-08, 12:20 AM
Here is a TIP....Fill in your Profile and your may get some more TIPS!:evilgrin:

Profile info added - OK, devil dogs, any advice?

Scott, proud father of one tough Marine

LeonardLawrence
01-31-08, 12:44 AM
Thanks for being a Marine Dad and thanks to your Sgt Son!

Not sure what the opportunity to interview him would be....you writing a story, general history, etc? If you clarify here it might be easier for some suggestions....

My thoughts. Ask about his service with/to the Marines. Corsairs, etc had quite a job to do and were sucessful in saving some ass at sacred places such as TokTong Pass, etc. Held off attacking forces allowing Marines the chance to regroup, redistribute and survive another frozen night. I have talked with some of the ground folks who were there and they have nothing but praise speaking of the Close Air Support they offered.

I have always found with veterans of these sacred places (to date I have had the blessing of hearing from Chosin vets, several years ago a Soldier from the Bataan Death March and encampment as a POW) is ask them to tell their story and SHUT UP and listen. They will share what they want, when they want and to the extent they want. If something sparks your interest feel free to ask, but they are running the show.

_I am getting goose bumps thinking about this and the experiences I have had. I would suggest discreetly bringing some kleenex is not a bad idea. For them...or in my case...for me. I always get choked up when i get the opportunity to speak to my real life heroes from Vietnam, Korea, WW2...

In your circumstance I would ask some questions about thoughts on the current conflict and some words that you can pass on to your son....written would be better, but anything is bound to be priceless to the Sgt.

Hope that helps!

Big Jim
01-31-08, 01:46 AM
Yes, I met an Air Force man who was TDY with the Marines during the Chosin battles Nov. and Dec. 1950. It seems that I will have a chance to talk with him again and perhaps even interview him next month. I want to ask him some questions but I would love to have input from the historians among you.

This much I know so far:
His name is George H. Pierce
He was attached to a group commanded by Capt. Jones (from Alabama or Mississippi, I think).
His job was possibly Forward Air Control (I need to nail this down).

Any tips? So, what questions should I ask him?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

About 5 or 6 years ago...the Korean government hunted down all the American Korean War veterans still living and had a little ceremony and bestowed upon them war medals for liberating South Korea in 1950.

With that said, and this is how I know this information, I've worked with an older Marine named Herbert, aka "Herbie," Moore. He was a Corrections Officer in London, OH until he retired in 2003 after 40 actual years of service. Herbie has always been a nice guy, not a mean bone in his body! He's always had a smile for his friends and would give you the food off his plate if you asked!! But, Herbie was sought out and found by the Korean government and was the honoree in a ceremony in which they thanked him and gave him a medal for liberating South Korea as was a Marine Corps veteran and he fought at the Chosin Resevoir in Korea 1950.

That old guy Herbie, I never knew that about him..I always had respect for him because we talk about the Marine Corps now and again...but now, he's a legend. I tell him that, too. I just wanted to give him the recognition he very much deserves. Herbie will be 79 years old this year and even though he's retired...he's still going strong, still healthy as a horse and drinks just a shot of whiskey a day before dinner!! I hope to accomplish just half of what he's done in his life!! He really is a guy to be honored and I trulyfeel priveledged to be his friend and him to be mine.

I don't think Herbie will remember this guy but all I can do is ask him! But, i think you're doing the right thing to interview him. Afterall, these guys are living history and THEY made our future. Its just really interesting to hear him tell some stories. Value their sacrifice, friendship and wisdom!! Semper Fi...

sfearing
01-31-08, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone. I found an interesting link at the Marine Corps History Division and I'll try to follow the guidelines and submit it there when I'm done. Here's the link to the site:
http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/Contents/Oganization/Oral%20History.htm