PDA

View Full Version : 0203 Ground Intel questions

SgtRamey
01-29-08, 10:21 PM
Gents,

I'm prior service and am looking into running over to the officer side. As far as my MOS selection I have been focusing most of my research into the Ground Intel MOS 0203. I have the basics about schools and possible commands that 0203's head to but I wanted to get more info on the perticulars. I want an MOS that I can be on the ground with marines, I just read that the 0203 mission is more of an office job. Got any insight? Who knows anything about this MOS? Along with Ground Intel I am loking into Tanks/AAV, Infantry, MP and maybe Engineer (I am currently an Engineer though) If you guys can help please lend a hand, Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-30-08, 06:30 AM
Anything Intel related as far as what the job entails 'nitty gritty' is pretty much classified. However, as an officer, you don't get to pick your MOS. It's basically done for you at TBS based on your class standing, needs of the Corps, etc. If the Corps needs 25 supply or admin types, and your class is 35 Marine officers, then the bottom 25 folks are gonna be supply/admin no matter what their choices were. Something you need to be aware of if you are going the officer route.

Accord
01-30-08, 08:49 AM
Definitely not more of an office job, platoon commanders for STA Plt are normally intel officers and if you know what that entails it's anything but an office job. However the odds of becoming an intel officer and then getting into a STA platoon are so remote that you shouldn't even factor it into your decision.

SgtRamey
01-30-08, 07:13 PM
Thanks fro the responses. I do understand how the TBS MOS selection works I am just trying to get a feel of different MOS's. I am aware of the 0203's oppurtunity to command STA and Recon units but I'm not gonna hold my breath for that, basically I wanted to get more info on the average Ground Intel Officer. I'm not talking about the nitty gritty so much as daily routines conus and oconus. Ideally I want to be on the ground outside the wire leading marines and from my experience that means 0302, which I am absolutly fine with, but is there another job that will fill my wants and provide some sort of knowledge outside standard infantry know how.

Soicanbefree
01-30-08, 09:19 PM
Officer Mos Descriptions (http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:OizmYekso7kJ:www.ososb.com/docs/MOS.doc+officer+mos+descriptions+texas+oso&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

Hopefully that link works. Ground/humint are high speed, very competitive MOSs. Aprox 10/2 slots on average per TBS class respectively. 0203 pipeline is TBS -> IOC -> BIOC -> Scout Sniper Coure -> GIOC -> Fleet. It is one of the MOS you can get a guaranteed reserve contract with prior to OCS through the National Call to Service program. Contact an OSO. Semper Fi and goodluck Marine.

LeonardLawrence
01-31-08, 01:10 AM
http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

rheinmark187
02-05-08, 08:07 PM
go 0211, then finish your enlistment and apply for 0210 CI/HUMINT warant officer or 0203. It'll help a lot.

rheinmark187
02-05-08, 08:08 PM
if you're already an engineer, maybe you could go topographical intelligence?
call up a career planner and see who if they can put you in touch with someone.