PDA

View Full Version : I have to take a full PFT at my next poolee meeting.

TheChiefIsIn
01-29-08, 08:41 PM
My poolee "unit" is getting inspected by a Sergeant Major on Thursday, and as such, is a required meeting for all poolees. There, we were scheduled to take a mock IST to let everyone know where they stand.

Well, as it just so happens, I'm also applying for the NROTC scholarship. And guess what the XO at the recruiting office suggested?

"Hey, Sam, why don't you tell your recruiter to double your run distance so that you can knock out this PFT right now?"

Me, being the lowly poolee, couldn't really say no. The sit-ups, not worried about it. Pull-ups, I know where I stand...around 1. 2 if they happen to not see my elbows bent...

The run...that is what scares me. It's not like I haven't ran 3 miles before....just not too often. Don't get me wrong, I'll stay moto for the long trek. It's not that I don't like embarassing myself in front of a Sergeant Major...it's just...I'm not exactly a fast runner...I know I have to work on it, but I still have several months until my shipdate, so I'm building slowly.

Case in point...I'll post my mock PFT scores Thursday night (assuming I can still feel my legs to walk to my computer and not crash on my bed) and I encourage other poolees to join me! Please? :)

karstenchu
01-29-08, 08:59 PM
Running builds character ;) I have a feeling that your not wanting to embarass yourself will probably be moto enough. Don't worry about it and just pace yourself. I'll push myself extra hard on my run tomorrow and try for the 3 miles. If I make it, I'll let you know! Have fun!

Ub3rmike
01-29-08, 09:07 PM
I think uping the ante for yourself in terms of the run is a good move. Since you're going for an NROTC scholarship, you're on the path of being an officer and just as my RSS holds anyone who aspires to be infantry at a higher physical standard, so too are those going for a commission. Running is my lowest score for the IST/PFT, but even if you're not Forrest Gump, as long as you pass out/start convulsing/throwing up from putting every ounce of strength into it (It should be your last event, so you need to give it your all), I think you'll demonstrate to both your recruiters and your Sergeant Major that you're future officer material.

Also, I'd be worried about doing 1 pull up than I would about my run speed. In terms of "strategy", you can afford to run much slower for simply putting out an adequate number of pull ups (5 points each). Again, as someone looking to be an officer, you can't be doing 0-1 legitemate pull ups and expect to inspire faith in others.

On the other hand, I think you should feel honored to have the oppertunity to prove your potentiaal to a Sergeant Major. I see you have about 5 months to ship and are going more or less the same day I am once I get my ship date changed. I can personally attest that 5 months is more than enough to get from where you are to the physical standards expected of officers. Stay motivated.

TheChiefIsIn
01-29-08, 09:09 PM
Wait....now that I think of it...my recruiter mentioned something about an "inspection"...:scared:

MY GENERAL ORDERS!! Must...memorize....everything...

Private; Private First Class; Lance Corporal
Corporal; Sergeant
Staff Sergeant; Gunnery Sergeant; Master Sergeant (First Sergeant)
Master Gunnery Sergeant; Sergeant Major; SM of the Marine Corps

Hope that's right....*runs off to study more*

SlingerDun
01-30-08, 12:15 AM
just run! give it all you got and if you weaken or crap out so what. The SgtMajor can read you poolee's like yesterdays duty roster

skaterjon89
01-30-08, 03:00 AM
Running is fun, just sing some cadence and haul ass... 3-miles ain't nothing, now the first 14miler i ever pulled i was sore as a mofo...

Jyates383
01-30-08, 05:22 AM
Hows everyone doin up there? I havent heard much from anyone since Sgt. Golat got stationed and S Sgt Avery doesnt return phone calls/pick up his phone. Im still waiting for a waiver for my shoulder and was supposed to ship january sometime.

Accord
01-31-08, 07:08 AM
1 pullup isn't going to cut no matter how good your run time is.

If you can get your 100 situps and 20 pullups then you can leisurely jog the 3 mile run and still get a first class score.

PatriotGirl422
01-31-08, 08:40 AM

If you can get your 100 situps and 20 pullups then you can leisurely jog the 3 mile run and still get a first class score.

That's what I do. I get 200 points starting out. Then literally all you have to do is pass the run and you get 50 points which gives you a 250. I believe that's first class. I'm still sort of slow when it comes to running. So it takes me between 25-26 minutes (which is equivalent in points to a guy running 22-23). So I usually end up with a score somewhere in the 270s. I'm improving though.

TheChiefIsIn
01-31-08, 08:11 PM
Well, just got back from my poolee meeting. My recruiter told me to hold off on the 3 miler until a little later, so I just went with the normal mile and a half. Overall, I was extremely impressed with my first IST ever. 1 pull-up (better than nothing), 80 sit-ups (20 more than I thought I could do), and a 12:08 mile and a half. Which surprised the hell out of me because my mile (1 mile) time last year was 9:48.

I understand that, Lance Corporal. I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from though. I've only been DEPed in for a couple weeks. In that time I've managed to double my sit-ups, push out a whole pull-up, and run faster than I've ever done before.

But now I know what I need to seriously work on (everything, as it seems) but it is still a good basis. I passed 2 of the three events which is something I never thought possible before. Still, LCpl Accord, it is an honor to have been critisized by you. You were a huge motivation to me to finally get my **** in gear and DEP in. Now I'm just wondering if we'll ever see a picture of you in cammies with the SAW.

BR34
01-31-08, 09:23 PM
Overall, I was extremely impressed with my first IST ever. 1 pull-up (better than nothing)
As far as the IST and PFT are concerned, 1 pullup is NOT better than nothing! If you do 1 pullup and Recruit Douchelick does 0, guess what, you two are going to be plt. mates in PCP.

Now, what you need to do is, get on a bar EVERYDAY, multiple times per day, multiple sets per time.

And you're right, your run time is okay. I ran a damn 13:15 on my IST! I tell myself today that it was the cold air, but hell, I just honestly never ran before bootcamp. I only worked on pullups and crunches. Now I do 3 in 20:30.

Make sure you work every area of the PFT. And remember, pullups, at 5 points each, are your bread and butter.

SlingerDun
01-31-08, 09:53 PM
Guess what? if you manage to grind out 3 pull-ups before you risk being sent back and maybe 4 or 5 if you graduate boot camp, next time PFT rolls around out in the fleet you may not even do 2 if you gain weight or dont devote effort to this mandatory excersize.

Not only should you concentrate on pull-ups but get down to the wrestling room at school and cross train climbing the rope and peg board and your pull-up progress will accelerate guarentee.

--->Dave

MotivatorJames
01-31-08, 10:20 PM
Breathe IN through your NOSE and OUT through your MOUTH. I guarantee this technique will help you run a distance you've never run before. ALSO, keep a solid steady pace, dont go slow, dont sprint, somewhere in between the two. You will do fine.

Candidate LeStrange

chrisf9028
01-31-08, 10:35 PM
For the pullups I would get a doorway bar or something that you can do a pullup on and everytime you pass it during the day do a maximum set of dead hang pull ups. I have this one part of my house which is great to do pull ups on and I pass many times a day. When I began doing this a few weeks back I could barely do 5 proper dead hang pullups but now I do at least 15 no sweat. Practice makes perfect!

Accord
02-01-08, 06:58 PM
Still, LCpl Accord, it is an honor to have been critisized by you.
haha, don't talk like that bro.

You were a huge motivation to me to finally get my **** in gear and DEP in. Now I'm just wondering if we'll ever see a picture of you in cammies with the SAW.
There will be plenty of moto deployment pictures of me when I get back from the Ghan, don't worry.

essteff1106
02-02-08, 12:14 AM
The first PST I ever ran killed me. 3 miles of running kicked my ass. It gets easier though.

Parker-0321
02-02-08, 06:44 AM
i hated running before i joined, now i kinda like it. the best thing i can think of is keep your mind off the run, sing a cadence. dont know any? try to make one up. it gets easier, really. in my MOS school we ran 6 miles and still did some pt.

did someone mention a machine gun and cammies?? here's me on the 240G =D

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=29561731&albumID=1671130&imageID=19665047

TheChiefIsIn
02-02-08, 10:25 AM
I found some free MP3 cadences for my iPod. That will do me good since all 15 cadences last about an hour altogether.

Dan629
02-03-08, 01:53 AM
Just wondering.. If I'm doing about 9 pullups now. How many should I expect to be doing at the end of Boot Camp?

BR34
02-03-08, 08:59 AM
Just wondering.. If I'm doing about 9 pullups now. How many should I expect to be doing at the end of Boot Camp?

You should expect to be doing over 20. Will that happen or not will depend on how much you put out.

KevinR90
02-03-08, 05:25 PM
I did my first IST this past Saturday though I forgot to give my recruiter my numbers because it wasn't a whole IST. We never did crunches and for the pull-ups we did a wierd combo thingy of doing 5 pull-ups, then getting down and doing 3 wide pushups, 3 close pushups, 3 diamond pushups. Then doing another 4 pull-ups, 3 of each pushup, then 3 pull-ups, and so on. Then on the last one we do the max number of pull-ups possible with another 3 of each type of pushup to finish. For the 5,4,3,2,1 range of pull-ups i got all of them for a total of 15 pull-ups. But for the max out one I could only get 1.

After that we did a 1.5 mile run and I got a 12:24- happy I passed but not what I wanted.

LeonardLawrence
02-04-08, 02:17 AM
I did my first IST this past Saturday though I forgot to give my recruiter my numbers because it wasn't a whole IST. We never did crunches and for the pull-ups we did a wierd combo thingy of doing 5 pull-ups, then getting down and doing 3 wide pushups, 3 close pushups, 3 diamond pushups. Then doing another 4 pull-ups, 3 of each pushup, then 3 pull-ups, and so on. Then on the last one we do the max number of pull-ups possible with another 3 of each type of pushup to finish. For the 5,4,3,2,1 range of pull-ups i got all of them for a total of 15 pull-ups. But for the max out one I could only get 1.

After that we did a 1.5 mile run and I got a 12:24- happy I passed but not what I wanted.

kevin,
NEVER be happy with your PFT/IST scores. Always strive to do better. Your wallet and career will thank you for it when it comes time for promotions...