PDA

View Full Version : WWII Belt History

lovdog
01-29-08, 12:43 PM
Asked this question a couple of years ago - no response, so I finally found out on my own.
WWII enlisted (and prewar also) on the dress greens enlisted uniiform - Marines were issued a dark, almost black leather belt - called a "Garrison Belt" or "Fair Leather Belt", and had a large heavy brass buckle. What makes this so significant is that during these times it not only made a sharp looking uniform accessory, but came in mighty handy if one got into a fight - especially when out numbered.
The belt buckle was put between the thumb and forefinger and the belt was wrapped aound ones hand a couple of times and the end was grasped with the fist creating the ultimate "equalizer"!
To make matters even worse for the opponent - some Marines sharpened the backside of the belt buckle to aid in the cutting process!
Now, I don't know "why" they outlawed the belt and went to cloth eventually - maybe it was too costly to produce, the Navy was too cheap to buy us a good belt, maybe it was landing too many Marines in the brig or the C.O. was just getting tired of busting everyone - don't really know that one!
Anyway - this is just part of our "heritage" that I always marveled at.
So now you know the "rest of the story"
Lovdog - SF

yanacek
01-29-08, 01:24 PM
Lovedog,

That is correct about the old leather belt being a handy tool for liberty.

The color of the belt was cordovon, a redish-brown color, although many would tell you it was brown. I'm not exactly sure when the Marine Corps dropped this in lieu of the cloth belt, although I suspect it was about 1948. I am pretty certain that by the time of Korea, the leather belts were gone.

Another interesting uniform item of the period was the Vandergrift, or Battle Jacket. Similar in design to the Army's Ike Jacket, but much classier.

bucksgted
01-29-08, 01:29 PM
Lovedog,

That is correct about the old leather belt being a handy tool for liberty.

The color of the belt was cordovon, a redish-brown color, although many would tell you it was brown. I'm not exactly sure when the Marine Corps dropped this in lieu of the cloth belt, although I suspect it was about 1948. I am pretty certain that by the time of Korea, the leather belts were gone.

Another interesting uniform item of the period was the Vandergrift, or Battle Jacket. Similar in design to the Army's Ike Jacket, but much classier.
I was isssued a Battle Jacket in Feb. 1956 and wore it for the next four years. It was not authorized for off base unless one was "commuting" to and from the base. Always wore the pi$$ cutter with the Battle Jacket.

Ed

Zulu 36
01-29-08, 01:54 PM
Asked this question a couple of years ago - no response, so I finally found out on my own.
WWII enlisted (and prewar also) on the dress greens enlisted uniiform - Marines were issued a dark, almost black leather belt - called a "Garrison Belt" or "Fair Leather Belt", and had a large heavy brass buckle. What makes this so significant is that during these times it not only made a sharp looking uniform accessory, but came in mighty handy if one got into a fight - especially when out numbered.
The belt buckle was put between the thumb and forefinger and the belt was wrapped aound ones hand a couple of times and the end was grasped with the fist creating the ultimate "equalizer"!
To make matters even worse for the opponent - some Marines sharpened the backside of the belt buckle to aid in the cutting process!
Now, I don't know "why" they outlawed the belt and went to cloth eventually - maybe it was too costly to produce, the Navy was too cheap to buy us a good belt, maybe it was landing too many Marines in the brig or the C.O. was just getting tired of busting everyone - don't really know that one!
Anyway - this is just part of our "heritage" that I always marveled at.
So now you know the "rest of the story"
Lovdog - SF

When I was a kid, my father still had his WWII issue "fair leather belt," as he called it. He also still had two buckles for it: an inspection buckle (unaltered) and a liberty buckle (which was sharpened).

My rear end knew that belt well as it was his preferred instrument of beating us kids back into line. We spoke of it fearfully as "The Marine Belt," (imagine sinister music at this point). :cry:

Ed Palmer
01-29-08, 01:56 PM
I was isssued a Battle Jacket in Feb. 1956 and wore it for the next four years. It was not authorized for off base unless one was "commuting" to and from the base. Always wore the pi$$ cutter with the Battle Jacket.

Ed
I cant find the plt photo right now but I think that our D.I's wore the Leather belt in 56

yanacek
01-29-08, 07:20 PM
Ed,

I just looked at my uncle's graduation photo from Parris Island, 4th Recruit Battalion, Platoon 296, dated 30 November 1956. The recruits are wearing dress greens with the cloth belt and the drill instructors are wearing web pistol belts with their greens and campaign hats.

I spoke this evening with a WW-II Marine buddy. He stayed in and said that after WW-II he would occasionally see enlisted Marines wearing the old leather belt but he did not think it was a regulation item. He also added that during WW-II, enlisted Marines would sometimes procure the cloth belt and "M" buckle for wear with their dress greens while on liberty. When he mentioned this, I recalled my father telling me about it many years ago. This however my have been an anomaly as by buddy and my father served in the same unit.

cball
01-29-08, 07:35 PM
I was issued both the long jacket and the battle jacket in 1954,Seems like some of the OLD timers then wore the leather belts.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-30-08, 06:27 AM
The leather belt was discontinued during the WWII period as an economy measure, to answer that question. Leather and brass were needed for other things.

Old Marine
01-30-08, 08:06 AM
If I remember correctly this belt was called "Sam Brown Belt".

I was issued the Battle Jacket and the Blouse in 1953.