PDA

View Full Version : Reno mom proud of son's meeting with president

thedrifter
01-29-08, 12:38 PM
Reno mom proud of son's meeting with president
Kristin Larsen (KLARSEN@RGJ.COM)
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
January 29, 2008

Andrew Nichols had no idea what he was going to say to President Bush during the two hours they had together Monday.

Nichols, a 27-year-old Marine staff sergeant, was selected by his commanding officer to attend the State of the Union address with first lady Laura Bush and join a small group that got to talk with the president at the White House.

Nichols assumed command of an infantry platoon of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit after the death of his lieutenant in Al Anbar Province, Iraq, in February. The Marines later turned over control of the area to the 1st Iraqi Army Division.

Even though Nichols has years of experience planning troop maneuvers and training, he drew a blank when considering what to say to the commander in chief.

"I have no plans of what to say," Nichols said Monday. "I'd be honored to get to talk to this man.

"I was excited and ecstatic that I was selected for this," he said. "I'm a little in awe. I'm not sure why they chose me."

His mother, Reno resident Vicki Esqueda, 49, said she was shocked her son was picked to meet the president. She admits it's been a challenge not to tell anyone because it had to remain top secret.

"I cried because I was really proud of him," Esqueda said. "I told him hard work has paid off, and he's made some good decisions, and he's served his country well, and he's deserving of this."

She said her son had always wanted to be a solider or a politician.

"He said 'I'm going to take care of the nation,'" Esqueda said. "He always wanted to be a G.I. Joe, that's for sure. When it's in their blood, it's in their blood."

Nichols is a member of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division which returned Nov. 17 to Camp Pendleton, Calif. Nichols and his wife, Heather, have 2-year-old triplets Kelcee, Kyle and Suzy.

Ellie