PDA

View Full Version : Old salts may be able to reenlist!!!

mcvet57103
01-29-08, 11:34 AM
I heard that they have moved the reenlistment age to 47, and they allow you to subtract a year from your age for each year you were active duty. I'm three months from my 51st B-day, so I could feasably reenlist for three more months. LOL tried to do a pullup to see how good of shape I'm in. Couldn't even pump out one. :cry: This wornout old fart would be more of a burden than a help to the corps, but I would bet their are alot of Former Marines out there who can still cut the mustard.

Stand up and be counted Marines!!!

lovdog
01-29-08, 12:19 PM
GardnerBob:

I hear ya!
Matter of fact, there are a few that were sent overseas with the National Guard units that were 65-70 years old. I imagine most were in support groups but still went with their unit when shipped out.
I think most of us "old salts" suffer from conscience! Its the unfairness of us older gentlemen sitting back and having to see young men (and women) in the prime of their lives having to bear the scars of war and death. Most of us "old salts" have had a chance to live our lives to 50 & 60, raise children & live a full & fruitful life. A life snuffed out at 17, 18 or 19 hasn't had that opportunity.
My son did a tour in Afghanistan a few years ago and if it came down to it, I would have rather put myself in harms way vs put him in that position - but the rules & regulations prevent this from happening.
When you're 19 you can run faster, have more stamina and are typically in better shape physically. But, then again, because of what alot of us went thru in past years, we're not dumb enough to fall for the tricks that we know the enemy can play - the difference is wisdom of age. Lets face it, alot of injuries and death are because of inexperience in dealing with combat conditions and some are just accidents period - alot of them should never have happened.
But, I'm about like alot my age, eyesight is failing, along with hearing but I still think that I could hit a man at 500 yards as long as I had the old "14" and proper sight alignment and trigger control! Ok, maybe 400 yards then!
Maybe we just miss the good old days!
SF

mcvet57103
01-29-08, 12:46 PM
GardnerBob:

I hear ya!
Matter of fact, there are a few that were sent overseas with the National Guard units that were 65-70 years old. I imagine most were in support groups but still went with their unit when shipped out.
I think most of us "old salts" suffer from conscience! Its the unfairness of us older gentlemen sitting back and having to see young men (and women) in the prime of their lives having to bear the scars of war and death. Most of us "old salts" have had a chance to live our lives to 50 & 60, raise children & live a full & fruitful life. A life snuffed out at 17, 18 or 19 hasn't had that opportunity.
My son did a tour in Afghanistan a few years ago and if it came down to it, I would have rather put myself in harms way vs put him in that position - but the rules & regulations prevent this from happening.
When you're 19 you can run faster, have more stamina and are typically in better shape physically. But, then again, because of what alot of us went thru in past years, we're not dumb enough to fall for the tricks that we know the enemy can play - the difference is wisdom of age. Lets face it, alot of injuries and death are because of inexperience in dealing with combat conditions and some are just accidents period - alot of them should never have happened.
But, I'm about like alot my age, eyesight is failing, along with hearing but I still think that I could hit a man at 500 yards as long as I had the old "14" and proper sight alignment and trigger control! Ok, maybe 400 yards then!
Maybe we just miss the good old days!
SF

I need reading glasses to read easily (don't need presciption glasses yet) I can read without them. LOL My hearing was damaged while assisting the EOD in Ammunition disposal operations and not wearing ear protection during my 4 years in and is digressing with age. I can barely pass a hearing test to retain my Class A Commercial Drivers License. But if I felt I could make a difference, I would volunteer today.

I have a step son serving in the Army and is an E-5, and gearing up for a tour at Camp Lightning south of Kabol Afg. He has already completed 3 tours in Iraq. One in Baghdad, and two in Ramadi.

Although we are worried his luck might be running short, he's optomistic, and wants to be there for his men. I told him jokingly, that although he chose the Army instead of the Marines, we are still proud of him, but seriously, support his decision to reenlist and make the Army his carreer.

kaboom1371
01-29-08, 01:23 PM
Imagine that. "The Scooter Platoon"

mcvet57103
01-29-08, 01:31 PM
Imagine that. "The Scooter Platoon"

Yeah won't be long till I'll need one of those.

Marine84
01-29-08, 07:53 PM
Hell, I couldn't hit the target back then..............................I KNOW I couldn't hit it now. Besides, I'm too set in my ways to go back in at this age.

mcvet57103
01-29-08, 08:15 PM
Hell, I couldn't hit the target back then..............................I KNOW I couldn't hit it now. Besides, I'm too set in my ways to go back in at this age.

I understand completely. I am not asking every swingen d**k to reup. I would just like those who are able to pitch in. I admit I am not able.

The rest of us can only lend our support.

Semper Fi

Phantom Blooper
01-29-08, 08:26 PM
Oh the joys of being young.....when the dreams were wet and the farts were dry!:beer:

:evilgrin:

gutinstinct
01-29-08, 08:47 PM
Marines, I get tired after driving 3 miles. Forget about me doing a 3 mile run, :D . My days of running are over.

mcvet57103
01-29-08, 08:50 PM
Oh the joys of being young.....when the dreams were wet and the farts were dry!:beer:

OOOOhRRRAAH!!
Us old folk can do nothing more than lend our Marine Corps....................SEMPER FI!!!!!
To those who can answer the call, God be with you, and we are behind you 120%!!!!!

Big Jim
01-29-08, 08:52 PM

Well said Chuck...its no mystery that those of us gettin long in the tooth will see your statement reverse itself!!!!! But like you...if I'm not supporting our younger generation of Marines...it'll mean that I'm worm food!!! Semper Fi, brother!

DUFFER
01-29-08, 08:52 PM
Pardon me for asking... where would this information be found?? I wonder if they would let my outta-shape ass sit and repair weapons??? Hell... I don't need to pass a PFT to be able to repair a weapon!!! shrug) oh well... lemme know how to find out anyway... perhaps it would motivate me to get off me butt

RLeon
01-30-08, 02:40 AM
Pardon me for asking... where would this information be found??
Yeah where is this info, is it just a sea story? Are you playing with us gardnerbob?
Cause I'm in good shape but just a tad bit too old to reenlist without the hassels of waivers and such.

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 05:10 AM
Pardon me for asking... where would this information be found?? I wonder if they would let my outta-shape ass sit and repair weapons??? Hell... I don't need to pass a PFT to be able to repair a weapon!!! shrug) oh well... lemme know how to find out anyway... perhaps it would motivate me to get off me butt

I got this info from a 53 year old coworker and former Marine, who was reenlisted in the National Guard, and just got back from Iraq this last summer. I asked him how he could still be in and that was the explanation he gave me.

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 05:13 AM
Yeah where is this info, is it just a sea story? Are you playing with us gardnerbob?
Cause I'm in good shape but just a tad bit too old to reenlist without the hassels of waivers and such.

I would suggest talking to your local recruiter to get the technical aspects. If I am wrong I apologize, but I just thought there might be Marines like you out there who would be interested. Semper Fi

3077India
01-30-08, 06:26 AM
Cause I'm in good shape but just a tad bit too old to reenlist without the hassels of waivers and such.If the Army (a much LARGER service branch) stops at 41yo for enlistment, what makes anyone honestly believe the Corps (a much SMALLER service branch) would stop at 47yo for enlistment? I'm 39 and currently trying to get into the LA National Guard (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=311256&postcount=12). I'd be more inclined to think the Corps would at least raise the enlistment to nearly the same as the Army, but not greater than. If there were any truth to it, I would be at my Marine recruiters in the morning.

sparkie
01-30-08, 07:51 AM
I'm in!!!! could you move my footlocker for me, please? Oh, and pick up my cover. It's a long way down there.

CHOPPER7199
01-30-08, 08:08 AM
Well, give me a trigger to pull and set to go. or give me eguipment to drive and set to go, forget the rest of the chit. Hmm, sound like old age. Still a darn good shot with a 30-30 or 45.

sparkie
01-30-08, 08:10 AM
Do they issue camo depends?

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 08:13 AM
It warms this old leatherneck's heart to see this much response. Semper fi!!!

recon532002
01-30-08, 08:31 AM
Im arnry and mean and I wouldn't hesitate to launch and assult on anyone who makes a negative response to my livelyhood and serenity. At 55
Oohrah SemperFi
Recon

recon532002
01-30-08, 08:32 AM
Hry gardenerbob hows the weather in SD its -34 below here but that celcius

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 08:42 AM
Hry gardenerbob hows the weather in SD its -34 below here but that celcius
Right now my outside thermometer says it's -5.3 degrees and the weather site says the wind chill is in the -25 degree range. I drive a redi-mix concrete truck and we don't work when it's below zero.

LeonardLawrence
01-30-08, 02:05 PM
This is the reason they put an age cap on things. Some of the old folks would never get through MEPS disclosing their glaucoma, gout, arthritis, etc. :) swollen feet, diabetes, bicardial arrythmia., etc, etc, etc, ad nauseaum

If the fleet was made, movement would be impaired by daily updates on disease aging and treatment. Liberty would be replaced by isssuing life alerts.

Only playing with you "old folks",...I know half to three quarters of you could still take me and the remaing percentage could afford to have me killed. :scared:

You all are the ones who did the heavy lifting in the past few decades!:iwo:

Phantom Blooper
01-30-08, 04:08 PM
This is the reason they put an age cap on things. Some of the old folks would never get through MEPS disclosing their glaucoma, gout, arthritis, etc. :) swollen feet, diabetes, bicardial arrythmia., etc, etc, etc, ad nauseaum

If the fleet was made, movement would be impaired by daily updates on disease aging and treatment. Liberty would be replaced by isssuing life alerts.

This could be construed as discrimination or elder abuse...you could always have the Gray Panthers,Disabled Veterans and AARP fight for your cause. If nothing else you may get a discount on life insurance and meds!:beer:

3077India
01-30-08, 04:23 PM
ROFLMAO!!!! Please stop you guys are cracking me up! :D :p

sparkie
01-30-08, 06:29 PM
Stop what? The encroachment of time? I wish. I'm still so very much there if they hit our shores, and I got ammo, or a knife, or breath left. I'll not wear the uniform again, and I'll not desert either. Thats the way of things when even you become a Grey Marine. Look forward to the pain,,,, and the pride, son.

Phantom Blooper
01-30-08, 06:47 PM
I have a scabbard on my wheelchair to hold my AR-15.

I have my order in for some magnifying NVG's with bifocals.

My wheelchair is also equipped with heavy duty tires and I had the welding shop down the road weld an M-60 mount on the front.

The rear is equipped with and O2 tank and the front next to the controls has an IV mount to hook up the beer tubing.

All my meds and extra pads are kept in the saddle bag on the starboard side,all my map,compass and battle orders are in the saddlebag on the port.

I fly the USMC and American colors high on the PRC antenna. I am ready to go......and sit on the front porch and watch all the younger generation Marines and sailors and cheer them on from the sidelines as they take my place now... to defend our rights and homeland!:flag: :iwo:

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 06:49 PM
Stop what? The encroachment of time? I wish. I'm still so very much there if they hit our shores, and I got ammo, or a knife, or breath left. I'll not wear the uniform again, and I'll not desert either. Thats the way of things when even you become a Grey Marine. Look forward to the pain,,,, and the pride, son.

I agree with you Sparkie, but if you are going to argue a point could you at least "quote" the post so the rest of us know what you are refering to. Semper Fi

sparkie
01-30-08, 07:13 PM
Figure it out Bob, ain't givin out freebees today. LOL.

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 07:25 PM
Figure it out Bob, ain't givin out freebees today. LOL.

Figured it out after I posted the last entry. LOL OooooRaaah! I have all the weapons I need to deal serious hurt to anyone who comes to my City and threatens my family and country. Only wish I had the weapons I posted a picture of. Just check out my profile and my photos. 8 inchers. Semper Fi

hrscowboy
01-30-08, 09:02 PM
I am locked and loaded and ready to roll...

mcvet57103
01-30-08, 09:09 PM
I am locked and loaded and ready to roll...
Ooooo Raaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!