PDA

View Full Version : Lejeune welcomes new CO

thedrifter
01-29-08, 08:10 AM
Lejeune welcomes new CO
KEVIN FORSYTHE
January 29, 2008 - 12:24AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF
One of the more historic billets in the history of Camp Lejeune came to a close Monday as Col. Adele E. Hodges formally relinquished command of the base to Col. Richard Flatau Jr.

Hodges was the first colonel to serve as the commanding officer at Camp Lejeune. She also was the first woman to hold the post.

The emotion-filled ceremony brought together a broad range of community and military leaders and close family members to watch an often tearful Hodges hand over the colors to Flatau - officially marking the change of command.

Hodges leaves Camp Lejeune to work in the Inspector General's Office at Marine Corps Headquarters, Arlington, Va.

She said she will most miss the people she has come to know.

"It has been fantastic to be part of the closeness between the base and community," said Hodges. "I'd like to think I helped to tighten the knot that binds the military and community together; making it more we, and less us and them."

As part of the ceremony, Col. Hodges was presented with the Legion of Merit Award for exemplary and meritorious conduct as a commander.

Presenting the award was Maj. Gen. Robert C. Dickerson Jr., commanding general of Marine Corps Installations East.

In addressing the crowd inside the base's Goettge Memorial Field House, Flatau said he considered taking command at Camp Lejeune both an honor and a privilege.

"I can't overstate the significance of this installation. I'm joining the crown jewel of the support staff," he said. "This base has a rich legacy of greatness, and it is my intent to see that that greatness continues."

Flatau admitted that the position did come as a bit of a surprise to him.

"All I can say is, 'Wow. This is something.' I can't wipe this smile off my face," he said.

He was first notified of the possibility of the appointment in May 2006. Several months later, the formal announcement was made that he would be the base's next commander.

Among those he recognized were the many community leaders present.

"Your welcome to me and my family is overwhelming. I will foster this great relationship with the community that has been forged by others before me," Flatau said.

He went on to say that Camp Lejeune and Jacksonville served as "the model for military base and community relationships."

His last duty station was U.S. Marine Corps Forces Command, Norfolk, Va., where he was assistant chief of staff, Aviation Logistics Division.

Flatau, a combat veteran, served in Operations Southern Watch and Iraqi Freedom.

Before ceremonially relinquishing command, Hodges offered an emotional farewell.

"This is the moment I've tried to avoid like the plague," Hodges said.

Fighting back tears throughout her farewell, Hodges said one of her main priorities was to improve the quality of life for all involved with Camp Lejeune - both military and civilian.

"I have to say thank you a lot because I have a lot to be thankful for," she said.

At one point, Hodges started, "To the community," but had to stop to gather herself as her emotions began to overcome her.

But after a brief pause she continued, "You're the best. There is no other facility where the community touches the military in such a supportive way as you."

In wrapping up her closing remarks, Hodges turned to Flatau and said, "I wish I was in your shoes here today."

An emotional Hodges then tearfully made her way back to her seat. Her mother immediately put her arm around her daughter and gave her a kiss on the head.

Contact Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8449.

Ellie