PDA

View Full Version : Needs of the Corps?

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 05:47 AM
So I did search this, but since the topic is kind of bland I got bland posts and topics that came up with an occasional red thing that says "Needs of the Corps?"...

Anyways, I know the Corps will put you anywhere they want to ultimately, however we are told to sign up for a specific MOS, but from what I have read and heard seems to be controversial. Example:

If I sign up for say 0331, will I be picked first over a guy that is signed up for 0311, but is more qualified for 0331? So basically does the person who signed up for the EXACT MOS number get a 1 up on someone that signed up for say just 0300 or another MOS in that same 0xxx category? Also, if you got to a secondary school like Recon or something and you wash out, do you get thrown into your primary MOS or do they look at your qualifications and decide what suits you best, go with your second choice, or just pull a name out of a hat ordeal?

I don't know how well this question was explained, but eh...I tried...ty for the input...

killerinstinct
01-29-08, 11:18 AM
So I did search this, but since the topic is kind of bland I got bland posts and topics that came up with an occasional red thing that says "Needs of the Corps?"...

Anyways, I know the Corps will put you anywhere they want to ultimately, however we are told to sign up for a specific MOS, but from what I have read and heard seems to be controversial. Example:

If I sign up for say 0331, will I be picked first over a guy that is signed up for 0311, but is more qualified for 0331? So basically does the person who signed up for the EXACT MOS number get a 1 up on someone that signed up for say just 0300 or another MOS in that same 0xxx category? Also, if you got to a secondary school like Recon or something and you wash out, do you get thrown into your primary MOS or do they look at your qualifications and decide what suits you best, go with your second choice, or just pull a name out of a hat ordeal?

I don't know how well this question was explained, but eh...I tried...ty for the input...

if its in your contract and it says specifically a MOS than the contract will be honored. So if your contract you sign at meps says you will be assigned 0331 you will get it. As LONG as you pass all of the pre requisites required to obtain the MOS. So if you rock out of a school or course you will be reassigned to a different MOS.

Majority of the time you will be assigend a general field and a few MOS's are under each one. But it's possible to obtain a specific MOS you jsut have to hound yoru recruiters it's like buying a car. Each RS(recruiting station) gets and can trade TO quotas from other RS's depending on CMC

kaboom1371
01-29-08, 12:49 PM
unless you have a guaranteed MOS. Which most people don't. You have a Guaranteed MOS Field, You make your 3 choices of the prefered MOS in that field. you will more than likely get one of those. When I graduated boot My first choice was 1371 another guy had that as second choice or third choice. He got and I didin't. I eventually pulled some strings and got in but that might answere your question. It just depends on what they need when they review your papers. That can be a day by day change.

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 01:52 PM
Huh, I see, thanks for the info.

zackmerc
01-31-08, 05:31 PM
Unless you are a reservist, everyone that has signed up for Infantry will be an 0300. You cannot just go active duty with a 0331 contract. Chances are you might not even get that MOS. When you get to SOI, you will learn how to get into a specific MOS within the Infantry.