PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Leatherneck.com'ers

Alex84
01-28-08, 10:51 AM
I would just like to say thank you to all of the Marines, Poolees, family and friends on this fine forum. You have helped me tremendously with the questions I had regarding the Marine Corps and my future.

I am starting the process of enlistment. The Marine Recruiters I met up with had me take an ASVAB pretest before we sat down, and considering I haven't been in a math class in 5 years I think I did alright getting a 78. I realize that the practice is not the full test, but from what I understand, it is a pretty good reflection of how I will perform on the real test.

My Recruiter was honest, answered my questions fairly, and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

Tonight I am going to see my recruiter again to get pictures taken of my tatoos for approval, and get a date set up for the ASVAB and MEPS. I work full time so they are going to try and get me tested all in one day. I am in good physical condition, I can run and do crunches, but I need to work on my pullups before testing day.

For the future, the MOS' I am most interested in are 02XX and 26XX. I found plently of posts here that really helped me out with questions I had on those (thanks 'search' function!)

Sorry if that was long winded, just a long thank you and a rundown of what's going on with a soon-to-be recruit. Hopefully I'll be posting as a Poolee before too long!

yellowwing
01-28-08, 10:54 AM
Welcome aboard Alex!

davblay
01-28-08, 10:57 AM
Welcome ALex and good luck!

jinelson
01-28-08, 12:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/156100.jpg

Welcome Aboard Alex!

Jim

Alex84
01-28-08, 08:36 PM
Just got back from the Recruiters office. I got answers to my last few questions about the the MEPS, MOS', and Marriage.

My tatoos were approved, I'm sure pending final approval but they took pictures and sent them on to someone with the title "OSP" (I could be wrong on that, it's been a mind bending few days.)

I am signed up for SDP on Tuesday February 5th, 2008. I really need to improve my pullups before then... I'd say I'm in better than average shape for being a 23 year old office jockey, but I am seriously lacking in the pullup department.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. Wish me luck, and hopefully I'll be back with good news on how things went, and an MCRD bus ride date.

LeonardLawrence
01-28-08, 09:02 PM
Just got back from the Recruiters office. I got answers to my last few questions about the the MEPS, MOS', and Marriage.

My tatoos were approved, I'm sure pending final approval but they took pictures and sent them on to someone with the title "OSP" (I could be wrong on that, it's been a mind bending few days.)

I am signed up for SDP on Tuesday February 5th, 2008. I really need to improve my pullups before then... I'd say I'm in better than average shape for being a 23 year old office jockey, but I am seriously lacking in the pullup department.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. Wish me luck, and hopefully I'll be back with good news on how things went, and an MCRD bus ride date.

Welcome and good luck.

Can you elaborate on the tattoos? I know there are some folks on here with questions....or in the same pickle??

Thanks!

Alex84
01-28-08, 10:18 PM
Welcome and good luck.

Can you elaborate on the tattoos? I know there are some folks on here with questions....or in the same pickle??

Thanks!

Yeah, not a problem. I actually have 3 total tatoos. I have a 3" diameter nautical star on the back of my left arm, 3 inches above my elbow. And I have the same tatoo encircling both of my forearms, in cursive text, located two inches below my elbows. The text is in no way offensive to anyone, and the letters are about 3/4 to 1 inch tall. I am actually planning on getting the text covered before I goto MCRD with solid black bands, but the tatoos were approved as is.

Wyoming
01-28-08, 10:22 PM
Yeah, not a problem. I actually have 3 total tatoos. I have a 3" diameter nautical star on the back of my left arm, 3 inches above my elbow. And I have the same tatoo encircling both of my forearms, in cursive text, located two inches below my elbows. The text is in no way offensive to anyone, and the letters are about 3/4 to 1 inch tall. I am actually planning on getting the text covered before I goto MCRD with solid black bands, but the tatoos were approved as is.

Humm, this doesn't sound so good to me!!

LeonardLawrence
01-29-08, 02:20 AM

Thanks Alex, for sharing.

If you are sending pics to get approved, you may want to inquire about changes to that tat before you have it done.

We have at least one Marine on here pending some issues with his service for some tats he "thought were okay". Just some friendly advice. :D

skaterjon89
01-29-08, 05:15 AM
I got a 52 on practice and a 86 on the real ASVAB i think...i was like wtf, anyways I heard the line scores is basically all that matters...

Alex84
01-29-08, 08:42 AM

Thanks Alex, for sharing.

If you are sending pics to get approved, you may want to inquire about changes to that tat before you have it done.

I appreciate the input. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my chances of acceptance. I am going to SDP with what I have now, and I will only get them covered if I get a definitive O.K. from the decision maker.

I am already gratefull that something silly I did when the Marine Corps was far off in my mind, hasn't prevented me from enlisting.

We have at least one Marine on here pending some issues with his service for some tats he "thought were okay". Just some friendly advice. :D

I have read that thread, and I truly feel bad for that guy. That is why I am asking, and making sure I get the right answer from the right person before I do anything.

Now back to those pullups...

Phantom Blooper
01-29-08, 05:05 PM
Wishing you luck........hope you get a waiver...it's not an over night process so don't get frustrated waiting on MEPS.

And if I had anything to do with your decision that makes me all warm and fuzzy.And if not.....AWWWWWW!

And it also makes me sad....because you will get dress blues out of boot and I had to buy mine!:evilgrin:

Alex84
01-29-08, 09:14 PM
Wishing you luck........hope you get a waiver...it's not an over night process so don't get frustrated waiting on MEPS.

And if I had anything to do with your decision that makes me all warm and fuzzy.And if not.....AWWWWWW!

And it also makes me sad....because you will get dress blues out of boot and I had to buy mine!:evilgrin:

I hope I get the waiver as well. The recruiter did send off pictures to get approval, but I'm guessing that that was not the final decision.

And believe me, the dress blues would be such an honor that I would gladly do boot for free if it meant I was worthy of the title and the uniform.

skaterjon89
01-30-08, 03:03 AM
With the pay, might as well be free :P

Alex84
01-30-08, 08:41 AM
With the pay, might as well be free :P

I will be taking a 50% paycut if you look at it from just a monetary standpoint.

But my current job doesn't give me a place to sleep, 3 meals a day, or my very own personnal trainer :evilgrin:

LeonardLawrence
01-30-08, 02:09 PM
I appreciate the input. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize my chances of acceptance. I am going to SDP with what I have now, and I will only get them covered if I get a definitive O.K. from the decision maker.

I am already gratefull that something silly I did when the Marine Corps was far off in my mind, hasn't prevented me from enlisting.

I have read that thread, and I truly feel bad for that guy. That is why I am asking, and making sure I get the right answer from the right person before I do anything.

Now back to those pullups...

Excellent Alex. The great thing about the Marines is you can always learn from someone else's mistake. Best of luck to you and keep your motivated attitude it will serve you well. :thumbup: