PDA

View Full Version : S.C. Marine invited to State of the Union

thedrifter
01-28-08, 07:30 AM
Posted on Mon, Jan. 28, 2008
S.C. Marine invited to State of the Union
The Associated Press

SPARTANBURG — A year ago, Andrew Kinard was just getting back to speaking and eating solid foods. Today, the Marine first lieutenant will be in the Capitol listening to President Bush give his last State of the Union.

“What a difference a year makes,” said his father, Dr. Harry Kinard, a Spartanburg urologist. “A year ago, Andrew was having a tough time. It’s amazing how far he’s come.”

The 25-year-old Marine was injured in a bomb blast in October 2006. Today, he is continuing his occupational and physical therapy at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

He can walk short distances with the assistance of canes and has a new state-of-the-art knee joint. He can drive and works part time at the Pentagon.

His father describes the job as a “nonpaying internship” at the Office of the General Counsel, but for Andrew Kinard, who is still on active duty, it’s everything.

“Doing any sort of work sort of restores my sense of purpose,” he said in a recent interview with the (Spartanburg) Herald-Journal. “Being at the hospital for a very long period of time, you can sort of lose traction.

“Having a job again, having something where I’m on a schedule and being held accountable for my performance, that’s great because it allows me to get back into the mode of having a job.”

Upstate prosecutor Trey Gowdy says he is trying to talk Kinard into going to law school and becoming a federal prosecutor or maybe a politician down the road.

“Andrew is, frankly, limitless politically,” Gowdy said. “He could serve in the highest offices of this country.”

Gowdy said Kinard’s injury has not damaged his character.

“The first time I met him, I knew there was something different about him,” Gowdy said. “He’s compassionate. He’s kindhearted. He’s mature. All of that existed before his injury. And now, he’s all those things with a story that’s as compelling as any you will ever hear.”

Kinard says law school is just one option for his life after the Marines, but for now, he is focused on his new knee and “what’s after Walter Reed and the hospital experience.”

“I’m very excited about exploring new opportunities,” he said.

As for his invitation to the State of the Union speech, Kinard won’t say where he will be sitting. His parents will attend a reception in Washington before the speech.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” his father, Harry Kinard, said. “ ‘Don’t expect to get another invitation,’ I told Andrew. Not unless he becomes president someday.”

Ellie