PDA

View Full Version : Need your thoughts

CarryingMarine
01-27-08, 10:30 PM
ok, here it goes, I joined the Corps in 1994 and became and airframe mechanic on C-130s and got out the beginning of 1999, and now I am 30 with a degree and an A&P license, but everyday something is still missing, not a day goes by that I dont wish I was still in Uniform, and now I am seriously considering Marine Coprs Reserves, what do you guys think, would this be a good move for me?

Big Jim
01-27-08, 10:46 PM
ok, here it goes, I joined the Corps in 1994 and became and airframe mechanic on C-130s and got out the beginning of 1999, and now I am 30 with a degree and an A&P license, but everyday something is still missing, not a day goes by that I dont wish I was still in Uniform, and now I am seriously considering Marine Coprs Reserves, what do you guys think, would this be a good move for me?

Jason...I know exactly how you feel brother!! First question...have you honestly evaluated your current life and all your personal situations? I mean, take a quick inventory of what you have going on...like wife and kids? Family that may or may not need you? Not I or anyone else can tell you whats best for you, my friend, and I'm being honest with that. Of course I always like to see someone who realizes they shouldn't have got out in the first place and I'd be the first one to tell them to get back in there, but this is YOUR decision and nobody elses. Understand?

How long have you been thinking about going back? If it is possible and you KNOW that is what YOU want to do then I'd advise to go do it. But don't do it if something in your personal life isn't going right like a marriage or a job and use that as an excuse to make a bigger mistake of coming back when you really didn't want to in the first place, you know?

Man, for years after I got out after 8 years active and 4 years reserve, I wanted back in so damn much, its all I thought about. Sometimes I honestly believed the thought of wanting back in so badly interfered with my career choice in Corrections and even my first marriage! Until I realized I can make anything work utilizing my determination and resolve and the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome any situation in my life. Civilian or not. What got me through the tough times after I closed the "active duty" chapter of my life is that no matter what I become...I WILL ALWAYS BE A MARINE FIRST!!! ...and so will you...whatever the outcome of your decision may be. So good luck on your decision and I'm sure what you decide it will be the right one for you and your family! GOOD LUCK BROTHER!!!

gwladgarwr
01-27-08, 10:51 PM
DevilDog: <br />
<br />
If you can still do it and you have your personal/civilian life in order, why the hell not? You're not exactly 80 and on life support, so do the Reserves. They can use an 'old man'...

CarryingMarine
01-27-08, 10:57 PM
yeah, I completely understand, and yes I have evaluated my life at this point

1. No Girlfriend/Wife
2. No kids even though I want them
3. Job is ok, but its not the Corps.
4. I work for a company you cant find in the phone book, all of our work comes on the Bosses reputation (dont get me wrong I get to work on Airplanes everyday and the Boss is Awesome)

I just feel like I could be doing a lot more, but maybe Im just crazy.

Big Jim
01-27-08, 11:01 PM
yeah, I completely understand, and yes I have evaluated my life at this point

1. No Girlfriend/Wife
2. No kids even though I want them
3. Job is ok, but its not the Corps.
4. I work for a company you cant find in the phone book, all of our work comes on the Bosses reputation (dont get me wrong I get to work on Airplanes everyday and the Boss is Awesome)

I just feel like I could be doing a lot more, but maybe Im just crazy.

No, you're not crazy...hell I went reserves straight off active duty. It was ok...I mean it wasn't active duty but we all becane really good friends. It does sound like you're a prime candidate for the reserves or maybe even going back to active duty! What kind of re-up code do you have? So, you talked to a recruiter yet? Call one up and ask some questions...they're just questions...what do YOU think?

jrhd97
01-28-08, 07:40 AM
It sounds like your in good shape to chase your dream man. If I was in your spot I certainly would.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-28-08, 10:18 PM
Go for it. You'll never know unless you try. I've BTDT so I know how you feel. I don't regret FOR A MINUTE doing what I did although it was difficult at times, it was well worth it.

maverickmarine
01-29-08, 06:39 AM
I completely understand where you Marines are talking about. I always look at getting out of the Corps after six years active was my one true regret and family life wouldn't allow me to get back in. I am finally with someone who understands, as best she can, me and my beloved Marine Corps and she said she would support me but unfortunately I then had to do the inventory of where I am in life and if it would really be possible and the answer was no but thankfully I had the opportunity to talk with a prior service recruiter knowing I had full support and then I just had to make the decision. I would absolutely get back in if I were in your situation though. You seem to be in a great position to get back in and I say go get some!

Apache
01-29-08, 07:40 AM
Been there done that
Gave me a military "fix" occasionally.
Was a juggle with Civillian life and Military.----
Wouldn't do anything differantly.

CarryingMarine
01-29-08, 08:22 AM
Thanks DevilDogs, I know its my decision alone, but I wanted "others" opinions as part of te decision making prcess.

ya know kinda like those who ave een the donetat experiences.