PDA

View Full Version : Ready at a moment's notice

thedrifter
01-27-08, 07:37 AM
Ready at a moment's notice

Stephanie Veale
Staff writer

(January 27, 2008) — Sgt. Robert FitzGerald spends 30 to 40 days a year preparing to defend the United States in case he's deployed to a combat zone.

FitzGerald, who lives in Geneva, Ontario County, is one of about 120 to 150 reservists and active duty marines who belong to the anti-terrorism batallion on Paul Road in Chili.

He's also a sky diving enthusiast who plays hockey, flies planes and co-owns a wine tour transportation business.

And he likes to make jokes.

When asked why he first joined the Marines 12 years ago at the age of 22, first he says, "I woke up on the wrong side of the bed one day and wanted to be a hero."

Then he laughs, and adds, "Some things in life you kind of fall into, because it fits your personality. It happens as natural evolution of who you are."

FitzGerald has been sent overseas once so far.

He was deployed to the Horn of Africa in 2006 and remained there until March 2007. He was serving on a security force, protecting a military base.

At any moment, he could be sent to Iraq, though he's not sure if or when it would happen.

"Nothing's set in stone," FitzGerald says. "We go ahead with our regular program. If we had to go tomorrow, we're ready to do it."

Once a month, 11 months a year, FitzGerald and the other reservists spend two to three days in training. They usually put in 18- to 20-hour days, he says.

They work on weapons familiarization, combat patrolling, first aid training and squad maneuvers. Sometimes they go to Fort Drum.

Once a year, they put in two consecutive weeks of intensive training.

The time commitment leads to friendships that are deeper than most, FitzGerald says.

"The guys seem to be lifelong friends," he says. "It's more than just a drinking buddy; it's someone you can depend on."

First Sgt. Brett Scheuer, who knows FitzGerald from the unit, says FitzGerald helped make the Marines' Toys for Tots program successful this past December.

The program collected 32,000 toys for Rochester-area children, Scheuer says.

FitzGerald worked on the project 12 hours a day for 10 straight days, Scheuer says.

"He's definitely one of the guys I would pick to serve with in combat, if I had to pick my own team," Scheuer says. "He does whatever it takes to complete the mission."

STVEALE@DemocratandChronicle.com

Ellie