View Full Version : Why We Serve' proves its worth

thedrifter
01-25-08, 03:26 PM
Why We Serve' proves its worth
By the Times-Mail editorial board

January 25, 2008

“Morale is the greatest single factor in successful wars.”

— Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sgt. LaDilvia Gregg addressed the local Kiwanis Club Wednesday as part of the military’s “Why We Serve” program.

A large gathering of local business folks and leaders listened attentively as the Marine described her tours in Kuwait and Iraq.

“We have good experiences, and we have bad experiences,” she explained. “We want you to know the truth about being deployed in the military.”

By injecting humor into her presentation, Gregg bonded with the listeners. She explained the military can serve as an excellent career opportunity.

“I wasn’t a perfect student, and I needed something to do,” she explained. “I wasn’t sure which branch of the service to join, so I had each of them come to me. I chose the Marines because the recruiter told me a lot of females don’t make it.

“I thought I was up to the challenge. It was a pretty rough three months, but I made it through and graduated No. 1 in my class.”

She has since been trained in financial management and as an imagery analyst. While opportunities in the civilian world await, Gregg opted to re-enlist.

“I don’t serve because I have to,” she emphasized. “I serve because I want to.

“As an American female, we have so many more privileges than other females in the world. America allows me to be who I want to be. It allows me to choose my job, and to wear what I want to wear.

“If I can help someone else obtain some of those freedoms, that’s what I want to do.”

She encouraged citizens to support the troops via good wishes.

“Mail is such an important motivator,” she explained. “It is greatly appreciated. You can have a terrible day, but if you receive one piece of mail — even a bill — it makes you smile.”

Gregg is convinced the U.S. is making positive headway in Iraq.

“More and more you see the Iraqi police and military taking control,” she said. “We’re accomplishing a lot of things. We need to rebuild their economy. We want them to feel safe, and make sure they can protect themselves.”

Our leaders continue to debate the value of our involvement in Iraq. That’s fine. It’s how our republic operates.

However, we must never fail in our support of the courageous volunteers serving on our behalf.

Ellie