PDA

View Full Version : With a heavy heart, Hodges says goodbye to Camp Lejeune

thedrifter
01-25-08, 09:30 AM
With a heavy heart, Hodges says goodbye to Camp Lejeune
Heather Owens
Carolina Living Editor

http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/mcb/images/col_hodges_leaving.jpg

Col. Adele E. Hodges, the first colonel to serve as commanding officer of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, will relinquish her command Monday.

Upon accepting command from Maj. Gen. Robert C. Dickerson, current commander of Marine Corps Installations-East, Jan. 23, 2006, Hodges said, "It's a large base and a large facility, and I am excited to be the first colonel assigned to this challenge."

Hodges was stationed in the Jacksonville area three times before becoming the base commanding officer. Her first tour here was as a private first class. Later, after becoming an officer through the Enlisted Commissioning Program at Camp Johnson, Capt. Hodges served as the battalion supply officer with Headquarters Battalion, 2nd Marine Division. In that billet, she deployed to Operation Desert Storm where she and her staff supported that battalion, the 2nd Marine Division Headquarters and elements of Headquarters Battalion, 4th Marine Division.

"My main goal was to improve the quality of life of the Marines and sailors aboard base and continue the good relationship between the base and the tenant commands," said Hodges of her original objective for her time as installation commander. "It's not just my base, it's our base."

During her two years here, Hodges has endeared herself to Camp Lejeune and the civilian community, rarely turning down an invitation to appear at a ceremony or event. "If they ask, I try my best to attend. I try not to turn them down because I am honored to attend," she said.

In addition to being very visible in the community, Hodges has made a point to honor the people who take care of the warriors and their families. She sponsored several receptions for nurses from Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune and educators from Camp Lejeune Dependent Schools. "It's because they take care of our Marines and sailors and their families. They are people who are behind-the-scenes who don't often get thanked for what they do. I just wanted to say 'thank you' and let them know how much they are appreciated," said Hodges.

For Hodges' support of Camp Lejeune Dependent Schools, Elizabeth B. Thomas, CLDS assistant superintendent, presented her with the Department of Defense Education Activity Commander Excellence Award in September 2007.

Hodges said she also enjoyed honoring veterans who fought in three wars, World War II, Korea and Vietnam, through the auspices of the base Retiree Council. "That's probably been one of the highlights of my tour. It's important to recognize those who have given their all. I wish there was more I could do for them than just declare them 'hard core warriors.' I'm just so happy we could honor these service members," she said.

Hodges and the Retiree Council presented Hard Core Warrior Proclamations to more than four dozen veterans of all three wars in several emotional ceremonies. She will preside over her final Hard Core Warrior ceremony tomorrow.

During the Hard Core Warrior ceremony Dec. 7, 2007, retired warriors made a point of getting an embrace from Hodges, who has become affectionately known as "the hugging colonel."

"Everybody needs a hug. I get a kick out of people thinking that I am a colonel and I hug," said Hodges in explaining her unorthodox philosophy. "I'm just an equal opportunity 'huggist.' I just want people to know how important I think they are and that everybody's job is important to me."

One sergeant major has said that it's best to not confuse the colonel's friendliness with softness. For Hodges has not shied away from making hard decisions when needed.

Due to the tense world climate, Hodges implemented several force protection measures during her tenure as commanding officer. "I'm proud of my initiatives to secure the base, not just (closing) N.C. Highway 172 (to public traffic), but all of them. I know that people want to talk about Brown's Island. But it's an important issue, because someone could easily get hurt out there (because of buried munitions). That's why we banned individuals from going there," she said.

In addition to force protection initiatives, several infrastructure improvements have been begun or shepherded under Hodge's leadership of the base. For example, "combat town" has been refaced to look more like a Southwest Asian village and a Convey Vehicle Operators Course has been added, which stretches across several base ranges. "What we have done is to try to put together a training facility at Camp Lejeune so that our Marines don't have to go out to find those training facilities elsewhere," said Hodges. "Our goal was to improve training opportunities for our Marines and sailors prior to deployment."

Having made a point to maintain ties with the Jacksonville community, Hodges said she is also proud of her initiatives to "help foster giving back to the community" through Operation Noble Heart, a program to encourage service members to volunteer during their off-duty hours, and Back on Track, a mentoring program for warriors with post traumatic stress disorder.

As Hodges leaves here to work in the Inspector General's Office at Headquarters Marine Corps in Arlington, Va. she said she is leaving with "a heavy heart."

"This has been probably the greatest tour of my career. I am happy to have served as commanding officer of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. I thank the community for what they have done for the Marines and sailors of Camp Lejeune," said Hodges. "This is the greatest community in the world -- Marine Corps Base, Jacksonville and Onslow County -- and I'm glad to have been a part of it."

Ellie