PDA

View Full Version : It's game on at the USO

thedrifter
01-25-08, 07:13 AM
It's game on at the USO
KEVIN FORSYTHE
January 25, 2008 - 12:01AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Military personnel visiting the USO of Jacksonville have a new electronic game room to enjoy.

Valued at more than $3,000, new electronics include a pair of 32-inch flat-screen televisions, a Wii game system, two X-Box 360 game systems and two entertainment centers for housing the equipment.

The new gaming equipment was made possible by a cash donation of $2,000 from Officer Equipment Co., headquartered in Quantico, Va. Best Buy of Jacksonville contributed money and labor to the project. A dedication of the new facility was held at the USO on Thursday.

Jose Saco, a district representative with Officer Equipment Co., was a driving force behind getting the equipment.

"I went to my boss back in November and told her that this was needed. The very next day, the check was cut," Saco said.

For Saco, a former Marine, the Jacksonville USO is nearly a second home. He spent more than two years stationed at Camp Lejeune in the late 1970s.

"I would come to the USO often to play pool, get a cup of coffee and just socialize with other Marines," Saco said.

Today, Saco remains a familiar face at the USO.

"Jose has been a longtime, dedicated volunteer here at the USO," said Harold Rowland, director of the Jacksonville USO.

In the past, Saco has also come through with donations of a foosball table, ping pong table and PlayStation.

Visitors to the USO for Christmas dinner got the first look at the new electronic games.

"I really was hoping it was up and running by Christmas. The USO and Best Buy made that happen," said Saco.

There are also plenty of new games accompanying the televisions and operating systems.

The Wii game system includes the Wii sports package, which includes bowling, tennis, baseball and boxing games.

For those playing the X-Box 360, there are eight new games from which to choose. Among them are Halo, Call of Duty 4, Medal of Honor-Airborne and Ultimate Alliance.

The new electronic games neighbor with a bank of computers, many upgraded six months ago, that are also available to visitors to the USO.

Lola Lawson, marketing and development director for the USO of North Carolina, said the new electronic games represent just one part of a continuing effort to keep the facility current.

"We will always be looking at ways to upgrade services and facilities," said Lawson.

She went on to say that additional games for both of the new game systems are anticipated in the near future.

For Saco, the latest in quality electronic gaming is a perfect match for the USO.

"(The USO) is one of the best organizations in the world," he said. "They really know how to focus in on the services that have true meaning to their clients."

Contact Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171, ext. 8449.

Ellie