PDA

View Full Version : Oath of Enlistment - What Should Happen To Those Who Violate It?

3077India
01-24-08, 01:08 PM
Many of you may remember taking this oath or one similar: <br />
Since the oath doesn't have an expiration date nor has any one, to my knowledge, ever signed a statement indicating they are no longer...

hrscowboy
01-24-08, 01:11 PM
I say lets let the SCV decide???

3077India
01-24-08, 10:53 PM
SCV? Sons of Confederate Veterans I presume?

hrscowboy
01-24-08, 11:31 PM
Yelp them be the ones..

LeonardLawrence
01-25-08, 12:21 AM
Interesting question. Crime no...treason, yes....

The purpose of the UCMJ is to define behaviors while serving and keep good order and discipline. We have a judicial system to deal with the rest after departure from the ranks.

3077India
01-25-08, 12:56 AM
The question I asked has nothing to do with the UCMJ, but why do you think that it should be treason? What if the felony is murder, which is a State charge not Federal? Remember the situation I...

3077India
01-25-08, 05:25 PM
A majority of us think that commiting a crime (where guilt is assumed) isn't a violation of our Oath of Enlistment where it says, "...I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States..."

So I ask the majority, does the Oath have an implied expiration date as evidenced by our leaving the military?

greensideout
01-25-08, 06:31 PM
At the end of our enlistment we no longer stand in the ranks that hold to the Oath that was taken. Are we bound by it after discharge from the service, I don't know---it's still in the heart and...

LeonardLawrence
01-25-08, 06:42 PM
3077India, <br />
The question I read does. Part of the oath involves obeying those appointed by the UCMJ. My point, to clarify, that one isn't bound by the UCMJ after departing the ranks, but one does...

3077India
01-26-08, 01:16 AM
Guys I like both your answers; you make very good points. Thank you for your clarifications.:thumbup: :iwo:

devildawgowens
01-29-08, 12:11 PM
Its simple, "Once a Marine always a Marine".

mrbsox
01-30-08, 11:27 AM
You signed a CONTRACT.
You received a DD214. End of CONTRACT
End of contract, end of LEGAL obligation.
(notice my signature line)

As for the oath.....
What's the difference in the oath of enlistment, and being sworn in a court of law, to '...tell the truth the whole truth...'

Would THAT oath still be binding ??

Guess it's a matter of perspective. If you are 'slick Willie' then the perspective is to your own advantage. If you are an honorable and upstanding citizen, then it really doesn't matter since you're going to do what's right anyway.

SEMPER FIDELIS.... with every breath.

3077India
01-30-08, 12:45 PM
...As for the oath.....
What's the difference in the oath of enlistment, and being sworn in a court of law, to '...tell the truth the whole truth...'

Would THAT oath still be binding ?...No because you are only being asked to tell the truth to the Court and no one else.

rktect3j
01-30-08, 12:46 PM
You signed a CONTRACT.
You received a DD214. End of CONTRACT
End of contract, end of LEGAL obligation.
(notice my signature line)

As for the oath.....

Would THAT oath still be binding ??

Guess it's a matter of perspective. If you are 'slick Willie' then the perspective is to your own advantage. If you are an honorable and upstanding citizen, then it really doesn't matter since you're going to do what's right anyway.

SEMPER FIDELIS.... with every breath.

Just about to post that little tidbit. Thanks. You saved me.

Zulu 36
01-30-08, 01:19 PM
Legally, the Oath of Enlistment expires upon the expiration or other lawful termination of the enlistment contract. Hence the need to do the Oath of Enlistment EACH time you re-enlist.

Morally, that is a different bag of cats. Once you are out of the military and no longer subject to the UCMJ, I say the Oath has no binding application except within yourself. Sometimes, a person can be more harsh upon themselves than others would.

Apache
01-30-08, 02:40 PM
As was explained to me many moons ago.
You are now transfering out of active----Due to the training you have received,if you kill-maim-or seriously injure a person,when the Civillians get done with you the USMC WILL begin looking for your sorry a---

mrbsox
01-30-08, 06:13 PM
I ask this, "Should veterans, who commit a crime (assuming guilt) be also counted as being in violation of the oath they took upon entering the military?"

And I guess to actually ANSWER the question;

NO

The UCMJ would no longer be binding, in a LEGAL realm. But since you committed a CRIME, you are subject to the laws of a civil court.

But then, that does not mean that any Military fraternity (my brothers) you may belong to would not OSTRACIZE you. :flag:

sgt tony
01-30-08, 06:29 PM
I shall honor my oath because I will not fight for the no-American Side

Robert Browell
01-31-08, 10:21 AM
If you need a legally binding oathe to love and protect this country,you probably don't belong in the military,or in the country. How many do you think would not have fought unless they were concerned about violateing that oath!My guess would be "Zero"!:usmc:

Apache
01-31-08, 03:43 PM
Ahmen Robert
Well said