PDA

View Full Version : Prof Genova's back

wrbones
04-11-03, 10:16 PM
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/73023.htm

'MOGADISHU' PROF BACK AT COLUMBIA

By JENNIFER FERMINO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 9, 2003 -- The Columbia University professor notorious for his anti-American rants returned to class yesterday under extraordinary security, vowing he would "not be silenced."
Two campus guards were assigned to Nicholas De Genova as he taught his first class since March 27, when a storm erupted over his call for "a million Mogadishus," a reference to the 1993 "Black Hawk Down" battle in Somalia that left 18 GIs dead.

De Genova, who teaches anthropology and Latino studies, told a class he'd been lying low because he got death threats, one student told The Post.

"He made the point adamantly: 'I will not be silenced,' " said the student, who requested anonymity. She added that he did not apologize for his comments.

ladileathrnek
04-14-03, 09:47 AM
So I wonder who paid for the security? the college said they don't condone what he said, but I would lay odds that he did not flip the bill for the security needed.

USMC-FO
04-14-03, 01:28 PM
Not surprised he bolted when some heat came down on him, or that he needs extra security now. The man is a coward. We can only hope that he "get's some" of what is due him at some point on down the line for his outrageous comments. Wonder if there has ever been a "fragging" at Columbia ??

JChristin
04-14-03, 01:53 PM
Tar and feather party is in order.

GunnyL
04-14-03, 09:06 PM
What do you really expect from Columbia Professors? Isn't that where Al Gore was teaching!:banana: They were probably hanging out!

Barrio_rat
04-15-03, 12:31 AM
I was just thinking (yeah, scary) that if the students took a stand, that if they actually had values, honor, integrity and a working belief system, they could 'boycot' his class. If no student signed up for his class or if they ALL walked out on him, wouldn't the school let him go? After all, as I understand it, he does not yet have tenure. I know it won't happen... but it could be interesting if the students took a stand in a manner that was not normally associated with today's universities.

Another point, would the university have backed this professor and protected him if he had hoped for a thousand Berlins or Tokyos or even Hiroshimas? I tend to wonder....

Barndog
04-15-03, 05:47 AM
Probally the French paid for it.

yellowwing
04-15-03, 06:17 AM
Columbia disbanded the ROTC program in 1969. The same year Al Gore went to Vietnam.

With his resume, being a US Vice President and all, why the heck did he decide to teach Columbia Journalism classes? That would be like George Dubya going back to Yale to teach cheerleading! Or Ronnie giving acting lessons!

GunnyL
04-15-03, 06:32 AM
Keep in mind that Al Gore went to Vietnam as an Army Reporter! He carried a pencil, not a gun! And what are his credentials really? He didn't do S--t as Vice President unless you---Oh yeah, he invented the internet. LOL

gemntx
04-15-03, 07:38 AM
Remember....

Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Breath, Squeeze!

GunnerMike
04-15-03, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by USMC-FO
Not surprised he bolted when some heat came down on him, or that he needs extra security now. The man is a coward. We can only hope that he "get's some" of what is due him at some point on down the line for his outrageous comments. Wonder if there has ever been a "fragging" at Columbia ??

He may have security at present but Rangers and Marines are taught patience. Perhaps someday a former Ranger or Marine will be a student, or run into him in a bar. That scenario will prove interesting.

:banana:

ladileathrnek
04-15-03, 08:44 AM
This is the course he teaches:

The central concerns of my research and teaching include: labor and class formation, racialization, the production of urban space, nationalism, the politics of citizenship, and transnational social processes, especially migration. My ethnographic research explores the social productions of racialized and spatialized difference in the experiences of transnational Mexican migrant workers within the space of the U.S. nation-state. More specifically, I examine transnational urban conjunctural spaces that link the U.S. and Latin America as a standpoint of critique from which to interrogate U.S. nationalism, political economy, racialized citizenship, and immigration law. This work contributes to a reconceptualization of Latin American, Latino, and "American" (U.S.) Studies. Likewise, I am interested in the methodological problems of ethnographic research practice and the limits of anthropological disciplinary forms of knowledge and modes of representation.

Representative Publications:

1995 "Gangster Rap and Nihilism in Black America: Some Questions of Life and Death." Social Text 43: 89-132.
1995 "Check Your Head: The Cultural Politics of Rap Music." Transition 67: 123-37.
1996 "Split-Level Bedlam: Chicago at the End of the Twentieth Century." Public Culture 9:1: 114-25.
1997 "The Junkyard of Futures Past." Anthropology and Humanism 22:2: 171-79.
1998 "Race, Space, and the Reinvention of Latin America in Mexican Chicago." Latin American Perspectives 102: 25:5: 87-116.

USMC-FO
04-15-03, 09:21 AM
More specifically, I examine transnational urban conjunctural spaces that link the U.S. and Latin America as a standpoint of critique from which to interrogate U.S. nationalism, political economy, racialized citizenship, and immigration law.....

Read also as to say "I teach crap!!"